NPC Get. Off. My. Teleporter.

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Xylia, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I rather like the idea of expanding one's ship through the use of recruiting crew...

But what I really hate about crew, is that... THEY ALL WANNA STAND ONTOP OF THE TELEPORTER.

Ugh.

One, it's hard to click a specific crew member and two, what good is having this big ship if all of the crew is gonna stand right next to the teleporter? Sometimes one of them will get the hots for you (with hearts and everything) and follow you around like a puppy until you teleport off the ship (and then they stand at the teleporter........AGAIN).

So, how about we make an object that binds to the crewmember, kinda like colony deeds, only smaller? Maybe, I don't know, a Crew Emblem or something that can be placed on the backwall that is only 1 block in size and maybe it looks like something that could either hang or sit ontop of something (but that's just an illusion -- it is always placed on the backwall).

When you place that, the crew will tend to want to stick to that general area, and use the same wandering rules as tenants, and of course if you come back and click on their emblem, the crew member that emblem is bound to will cause them to seek to return to his/her room (and teleporting if they can't figure out how to get there just like tenants do).

That way I won't have all 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 people standing on my teleporter constantly.

Jappards and Relten like this.
  2. Mariel141

Mariel141 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have found that they are more likely to explore the rest of the ship if I put things around for them to interact with. Popular thus far: campfires and forges (everyone loves heating their hands on the Atomic Furnace I guess), chairs, pianos, air-hockey table, toilet stall (with twelve crew, maybe I should have more than one of those?)

They also don't seem to like jumping up ledges, so I put stairs everywhere that the floor is uneven. As I write this, only two of them are hanging around the teleporter and the rest are wandering around the ship, presumably contracting finger cancer in the crafting area.

Now if I can just figure out a way to get that damn snake off my captain's chair...

3. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Wire the bridge door up to a couple switches, and place a feed bowl with some feed in it somewhere away from said door? Maybe trap said snake in a room so it can't escape?

4. Mariel141

Mariel141 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Not sure that would work... I've never seen the snake actually jump, but somehow it gets to different levels of the ship when I'm not looking. I'm assuming there's some sort of weeping-angels teleportation thing going on, so I don't think trapping it would be effective.