NPC Ghosts!

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by mbease, Dec 23, 2013.

1. mbease

mbease Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Planets can get lonely sometimes, even when you manage to lock a friendly alien in your home (only to vanish later) or create a friend using such items as the chef-maker. I believe adding ghosts to the game would add an extra layer to the game, regarding NPC interaction.

Ghosts would appear randomly throughout a planet, maybe starting with only one or two when you first beam down. Most ghosts would not interact with you in any way, so you would not be able to attack or talk with them. But some would utter random phrases sometimes, and some may actually talk with you and sell you rare items. Some ghosts may even attack you once in a while, hitting you once for 10 damage, just to let you know they are still there.

The ghost NPCs would especially appear in temples and dungeons where you killed NPCs while looting and pillaging. Ghosts would look the same as NPCs you killed. Not everyone you kill would turn into a ghost, having perhaps a 20% chance of becoming one. They could spawn as soon as you kill an NPC or be spawned later in another area of the world.

This could open up a new idea for NPCs. Even imagine having a ghost pet, or perhaps a friendly ghost friend that happens to "haunt"/stay within a certain area of a planet, disappearing and reappearing randomly. Ghosts would make the races would interesting, too. Some items could be made to ward off ghosts, while others could attract them (such as tombstones, cemetery/death-related items already in the game). Depending how far you would want to go with them, there could even be fun side quests with them.

Does anyone else like this idea?
    Imagine digging way down into the ground and coming across a ghost sitting on a chair surrounding some lava, with "zzzs" coming out of his head. Or maybe killing killing a colony of robots and having a ghost robot appear in your house, mumbling about you killing his/her family. Also, imagine a ghost vendor that will sell you bones, vials of acid water (later versions?), and other cool stuff. I think this would add a ton to the game, and it's already a super rad game.

NightCat and DBKJH like this.
  2. gabrielfunkglop

gabrielfunkglop Sandwich Man

I like this idea

3. NightCat

NightCat Void-Bound Voyager

Very much enjoy the possibilities with this idea, in particular the ghosts that go around muttering about your misdeeds. Perhaps, somewhere out there, there's a Ghostbusters type special weapon that can zap them away too?

4. gabrielfunkglop

Lol cool idea and maybe the local villagers(NPC's) could be able to communicate with them and the ghosts would tell them about you and the villagers would react differently

5. mbease

Could be. Imagine a side quest where you are asked to go to a neighboring planet, one filled with ghosts, and wipe them all out. Get some ecto-material so you can make ecto-bricks for transparent houses, ecto-swords that are see-through, and other cool items to forge.

6. gabrielfunkglop

Yeah that would be cool.

7. mbease

Is there an easy way to find this post on the upvote/downvote page?
    Do threads automatically get added to that page, or do I have to do something special?

I would like to see how popular this idea is with everyone.

8. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

Actually, NPCs(and why not players after all. You basically respawn via cloning: a new individual while the original remains, well, dead) creating ghosts or zombies would be nice.

Though I feel this would probably work best with special planet types(deadworlds?) or events(zombie plague? anyone killed by a zombie becomes one.... including the player's old clone...).

gabrielfunkglop and Hymir like this.
  9. mbease

That's a cool idea. Whenever you die, there's a chance your character turns into a zombie (no weapons or anything) that is killed in one hit. It could drop a bone and maybe a zombie-only item to collect. It'd be cool to create a zombie chamber in a house with all your zombie clones.

I agree that you would want to allow zombies to only occur on certain planets (really like the idea of "deadworlds"). If the event happens elsewhere, make the possibility very small so the feature doesn't outshine everything else in the game. I love the idea of zombie worlds, though.

10. mbease

How about a rad ghost race?

11. Arucard

Arucard Aquatic Astronaut

Oh man, I totally read that as a request for a mod that also adds the ability to compete in time trials against paranormal entities...

heh, ghost races.