Giant Crops XP gain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kurachi84, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

is it true that they do not give any XP?
    if so, i better get them out of the ground now :eek:
    i always wanted to let them grow for both XP and money

i play SDV 1.3.28 still, not sure if there's any changes in the newer versions
    oh boy, i may have wasted time now, haha

if this is true, that they give no XP, i'll plant them in rows of 2 next times, until i got maxed farming skill

and yes, i know they won't appear in the greenhouse and garden pots, in case someone would give that extra info

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    • One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

Correct, giant crops do not earn XP. That's the trade off for getting about twice as many crops from it

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

hmm ok, not worth it if needing xp, imo, as sometimes it took a long time to get a giant one, and harvesting then planting new ones would've been better in such cases
        but thanks for the info, will only let em grow huge if maxed with farming skill now :p

does luck affect their extra drops, like it does with normal crops' extra drops?

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

No. A Large Crop, which broken with an axe, is hard-coded to drop exactly 18 crops of Normal quality, with zero chance for bonus ones, and zero chance for any improved quality.

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

i see, i read somewhere they drop between something like 12 and 16 or so.... but still nice to know, 9 spots for 18 of them isn't bad... with level 10 farming :rofl:
            thanks for the info, both :)

• UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

I thought the level 10 farming only effected the first 9, since you are not 'harvesting' the other crops with 'farming'.

But I'm going off long ago 2nd hand knowledge, so more asking if that is true, than trying to say that it is ...

• ShneekeyTheLost

No, that is not the case. A large crop is not harvested, it is an object broken with an axe. Farming skill is never checked.

• Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You might be thinking of plants that drop multiple crops each time you harvest them, such as blueberries, cranberries, potatoes 20% of the time, etc. In that case, the first one will be some quality based on RNG and your farming skill, and the rest will all be normal quality. E.g. when you harvest a blueberry plant, you get at most one silver/gold quality blueberry, and the other 2-3 blueberries are always normal quality.
                  I interpreted Kurachi's comment
                  to mean that at level 10 farming, they aren't worried about XP anymore, just money, so at that point they want giant crops, but not before that.
                  Personally, I plant enough crops that getting level 10 fairly fast (by mid summer year 1 or so) is pretty easy, but YMMV.

• ShneekeyTheLost

It's just a shame it can't happen consistently or reliably, or I'd be tempted to shift my whole strategy. Kegs and Jars care not about the quality of the crops coming in, so large crops would be even more effective with the right processing setup.

Ultimately, I feel Large Crops are about right where they need to be... a nice little easter egg, but not something the powergamers can really exploit.

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

yes, it was indeed so that from level 10 farming on, i only do it for money
                      plus, now that i think about it, i'll do it especially with pumpkins, to get more for pumpkin soup, which i like

large crops being less rare with quality fertilizer would be nice, still close to none if planting enough, but at least SOME more chances
                      i think one shouldn't think about powergamers when looking at games that have nothing to harm other players
                      in case of items will be over or unmderpriced in say MMORPG's, then yes, but this game isn't like that
                      it still being rare is a good thing, not for "harder to get, challenge = good", but more for it being an easter egg that's made to be rare
                      many people on youtube playing SDV have many giant crops all the time, just for the view, and looks nice

also, i'm a "he", which you can say about me :p i'm not into the "they" speech.... just a small off topic thingy

but yeah, glad to know i don't get XP from them, so i can avoid them until level 10 for said reasons