Give planets continents as selection

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Frost Spectre, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Frost Spectre

Frost Spectre Big Damn Hero

Well, pretty much what topic name suggests, instead of beaming down to "one continent" right now, instead allow players choose a continent to beam down into, allowing more biome combinations.

Moons could be done the same thing, moved to orbit planets and be considered as "continents" for the planet it orbits.

As for asteroid fields, could be turned into asteroid belts and be considered as "asteroid belt shaped planet" with "clusters as continents" in technical sense.

Few old topics I found that have suggested same, but also gives other nice ideas.
    planets-with-multiple-biomes-not-just-one
    make-planets-more-planety
    a-more-diverse-realistic-universe

STCW262 likes this.
  2. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

So, it would change each planet into several planets? What's the point?

3. Frost Spectre

Frost Spectre Big Damn Hero

More stuff to explore in a single planet, instead of run around it and then move on the next one.
    Having continents also increases the size of the planet, and make abit more sense with the panorama scrolling it has now.

Continent could also have city constructed on it.

With those topics I linked also suggested that "continent" could be something else too, like some ancient structure of interest. The size of those "continents" would be smaller than usual.

4. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

Things like this have been suggested before and I think they got a pretty negative response over all.

One of the great things of Starbound is the multiple planets in a universe of such vastness it feels infinte. There really isn't much point to classing one planet as multiple planets.... well unless you're gonna suggest we make planet size more realistic and cause planets to be even larger and thus take longer to get from one spot to another on it.

5. Littleman88

Littleman88 Big Damn Hero

I think the idea is to just have multiple zones per planet, so that it feels more like a planet, less like a biome floating around in space in the shape of a ball. I'll never get why Sci-fi constantly pretends that only Earth is a multi-biomed planet. Mechanically, it IS entirely pointless, though I guess taking your pick of 3-4 biomes on a single planet might save on travel time (which is really a mask for loading time.)

It's a cool idea, but not one that actually benefits the game, just an immersive thing.