1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Give The Director The Option To Wait

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Treadlight, May 29, 2013.

1. Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

As it is now, monsters spawn as soon as they can. This leads to large mobs that get constant reinforcements.
    spawn
    spawn
    spawn
    spawn
    But what if the Director (supposedly a ds_list) had the option to wait, in addition to spawning monsters?
    wait
    wait
    spawnspawnspawn
    wait
    spawnspawn
    spawn
    wait
    etc
    My suggestion was originally going to be "Make Monsters Spawn In Waves"

okok111 and Shrooblord like this.
    • okok111

okok111 Pangalactic Porcupine

I believe this would be interesting, but what happens if the director waits for say, 20 instances where it'd normally spawn a lemurian and instead spawns 20 lemurians at once?

• Treadlight

Well, it wouldn't be completely random. And I'm pretty sure it already can wait a little bit.

• Myth

Myth Space Penguin Leader

I would really enjoy that change.

• okok111

Say that they write the code so that it can only wait 5 in a row, the director still doesn't have to spend all of its happy joy torture points at once. Lets say that they set it so that when the director reaches a certain amount of HJTP, it goes into "I need to get rid of my HJTP mode, otherwise ill swarm you." This would still mean that you could almost certainly get mass attacked on the HJTP wasting mode, unless the get rid of HJPT mode triggers at a lower number, say 1600 (enough to spawn two bosses at once). Even then, (from memory I think lemurians are eight HJTP points.) it's enough to spawn one heck of a lot of enemies.

• pinkie pirate

pinkie pirate Cosmic Narwhal

yea cuz when i ge t to word three no matter how well equip im screwedcuz i casnt even open chests

• okok111

I'm having trouble understanding what you just said. If I'm interpreting it correctly, did you mean to say "Yea, because when I get to world three no matter how well equipped I am, I'm screwed because I can't even open chests." And even though this is a perfectly valid fact, I do not see how this fits into this topic. Also, if its that hard, just try spending more time on earlier levels completely finishing every shrine, opening every chest and buying from every store.

• pinkie pirate

what im saying is yes, i do that. one run i had tons of items like 4 drones and everything. unfortunately, since there were so large hordes of enemies nonstop, i could not rest for a mere second to do things.

• okok111

Just me wondering, what character do you use? Commando you can easily roll, FMJ then suppressive fire. The miner you can dash in, use the jump attack and then dash out, the bandit I haven't played with, and the HAN-D I'm not sure about either.

• pinkie pirate

first han-d then commando. the problem is, i can't deal damage fast enough. always at least ten chasing me and world 3's enemies are FAST.

• okok111

Just played a bit more with Han-d, try to use his drones when low on health, and his fourth ability when in crowds. Using those two abilities with some overclock I could stay in the middle of the horde of enemies, and still survive.
                        However, personally I've gotta say that at the moment I'm having trouble getting past sky meadow. That evil level has jumping stone golem (or the equivalent of one, at least) and every other enemy is annoying in general. Oh, and your drones die immediately when three enemies are next to you. :zzz:

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

I'll continue to spread my words about HAN-D as people keep wondering how to use him: he's a punishing tank character. His health scales more than other characters' and there's a good reason for it. Playing as him, you have to stand in the middle of crowds, both dealing and receiving massive punishment. Fortunately, the crowds don't have massive life regen abilities and you do. Using three to five drones can get him back to full health instantaneously and can keep him alive in crowds of 20+ creatures or 10+ heavies like Snow Golems. The other abilities must be used in tandem to deal heavy blows to big groups of enemies at once.

I'd like for the Director to be able to wait for a while before spawning more stuff. That'd make for interesting situations. The problem okok111 saw is something the players can see coming; nothing spawns for some time and anyone paying attention should know that means someting's up. They could prepare for an incoming swarm just the same way they prepare for the Teleporter swarm.

Treadlight likes this.
                          • okok111

The teleporter swarm just has an increased HJPT gain (from my understanding), but this would be worse, as it'd be the equivalent of the teleporter swarm all at once in a small area. You'd need to either cheapshot them using the commando/bandit, or move VERY freakin quickly using the miner, or have all of your HAN-D drones on you. Otherwise, you'd be screwed, as the swarm would instantaneously rape you all at once. Preparing? How can you really prepare for that without having god mode, as I have had the same problem with some teleporter swarms, when the enemies are all in one spot.

• Treadlight

It wouldn't wait for a very very long time, then spawn fifty of each monster type at once. It would just be less of a stream of monster spawns, and more like waves.

• okok111

Oh, I see. Mesosilly. In that case, I support this idea.