Modding Help Giving Geometric Trees Saplings?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by BlueLeafeon, Feb 11, 2020.

1. BlueLeafeon

BlueLeafeon Cosmic Narwhal

It used to be that I could just edit the plant file to drop saplings, and bam, geometric tree saplings. But sometime in the past few updates, they changed it so that whenever I tried this, it spawned Perfectly Generic Items. Is there any way to fix this? I love geometric and icesphere trees, and I want to put them around my base, but I can't anymore. :(

2. Isaac MacPherson

Isaac MacPherson Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I second this. In my experience with modding trees, I've only ever been met with errors and Perfectly Generic Items.

Edit- After doing some digging, it would seem that Chuckle Fish removed the sapling drop from the dropConfig in the .modularfoliage files for ice sphere trees. The geometric sapling dropConfig still exists in the files though, so I don't know what to tell you in regards to geometric trees.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  3. BlueLeafeon

Okay, that's weird. Because I did edit geometric trees and got Perfectly Generic Items... Very sad about ice sphere trees though. If only we could just spawn them in like some of the other decorative items...

EDIT: Upon your mentioning of the geometric trees having saplings, I looked into the files myself. The issue is that geometric and ice sphere trees don't have foliage. The tundra.biome file only specifies the stems. I edited the tundra file to include "geometricfoliage", went to a new tundra, cut down an ice sphere tree, and acquired a sapling.

Geometric foliage is transparent anyway, so you can't tell the difference.

4. Isaac MacPherson

As of last night, I'm currently trying to dot-patch the ice sphere trees to drop saplings (in a test mod), and I've even made a mockup image for the right side of the sapling (as I plan on including it in my Extended Crafting mod). But I don't understand dot-patch completely, and keep getting hit with 'drop' isn't a valid index errors or something like that.

What/how did you edit to get the ice sphere trees to drop saplings?

Edit- I don't know why I just now thought of it, but what about piecing trees together via Photoshop or Gimp, and make them into objects?
    I'm gonna do that because... why not? :rofl:

5. BlueLeafeon

Literally all I did was edit tundra.biome:
    Code:
            "type" : "tree",
            "treeFoliageHueShiftMax" : 0,
            "treeStemHueShiftMax" : 12,
            "treeStemList" : [ "geometricstem", "icespherestem" ],
            "treeFoliageList" : [ "geometricfoliage" ]
          },
    This forces the game to spawn geometric foliage for all trees, but since the foliage itself is just a bunch of transparent pngs, there's no noticeable difference in-game.
    [​IMG]

Because of this, both ice spheres and geometric trees spawn saplings, but there IS a slight issue...

[​IMG]

The item icon is the stem itself, oops. If we're to make this a public mod, this'll probably have to be fixed...

Isaac MacPherson likes this.
  6. Isaac MacPherson

Hmm. I've been trying to dot-patch the file. I think we'll have to edit both the tree and the biome.

On a side note, the tree as an object looks decent. My thought process was: why wait for trees to grow if anyone just wants to have a tree as a decoration and not as a resource for wood? And what about trees you see irl in the sidewalks? They don't require much soil.

This of course means making around three variants for each tree - a task I more than up for... especially since I currently am not good at making dot-patch files. But I'll continue to try to make the dot-patches work.

7. Isaac MacPherson

I finally got around to learning (some) dot-patch code, and made a little thing. Hopefully it works for you, Blue?

Attached Files: