1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed [GLAD GIRAFFE] Starbound not fully utilizing hardware

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by GeneralM13, Dec 15, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeneralM13

GeneralM13 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It seems Starbound is not using the hardware to it's full potential.
    Resulting in a Low Framerate.

System Specs:
    CPU
    : AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580 (MSI Twin Frozr)
    RAM: 8GB DDR3
    MB: Asus Crosshair IV: Formula

On my system on planets i cannot even get a steady 60 FPS, but in the meantime my CPU and GPU are both not even being used fully.

The game uses rougly 40-50% of my CPU (prolly because of OpenGL) and LESS then 15% of my GPU...
    My monitor supports 60Hz so that isn't the problem.
    The game simply refuses to use all the hardware it gets.

Update:
    It seems the Latest Hotfix made things even worse, OR the rain was at fault:
    I had a WHOPPING 15 FPS (64bit OpenGL)

CPU usage was at roughly 35% GPU was just sitting there at 5%......

I KNOW this game is still in BETA, but A: This classifies as a bug, unless i am seriously the ONLY person having this issue. and B. if the game does not run proper, how can BETA testers test it proper?

This happens in Both 32-Bit and 64-Bit, Normal & OpenGL

Here is a screenshot to explain what i mean.

The FPS counter is from the steam overlay.
    I tried a while bunch of suggestions, including granting the game and steam Admin access, taking it away, adding the game to my NVIDIA Control panel and even wanted to try a mod, but all this mod did was remove the Parallax.

Will include a screenshot for reference, you will see that my CPU and GPU are just sitting there, the version i used while making the screenshots was 64-Bit OpenGL, the version that gave me the highest FPS

[​IMG]

Hope this helps a bit <3

And please don't get me wrong, i LOVE this game and the developers to bits and i really wanna help by testing the game, but with the current FPS i just cannot do this.

~M13

*Edit 1: Sentence restructure
    *Edit 2: Added clarification...
    *Edit 3: Added System Specs.
    *Edit 4: Added more "findings"

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    OneOnlyDan and Corraidhín like this.
  2. Sinaku

Sinaku Void-Bound Voyager

I've seen other people suggesting to turn off the Steam Overlay. Not sure if that will help, but it's worth a check.
    On a similar note, I use ATI cards and eventually uninstalled Raptr, its overlay was giving me BSODs.
    Sometimes it's the little things.

Dunto likes this.
  3. GeneralM13

Running the game without steam gives me the same FPS, the only difference is: no FPS counter.
    and i stopped using RAPTR ages ago, mainly because it made games crash if i tried to hook them into OBS for streaming.

But like i said: this is not my PC being under PAR to run the game, the game just REFUSES to use my hardware... i can fidle around with settings in the game and surrounding programs all day, it won't get me anywhere.

Picture this: a 20-Lane freeway and all cars are driving on a single lane. Not really working out is it?
    The game is only using 10% of my GPU, and about 40-50% of my CPU and that is prolly because it's OpenGL.[DOUBLEPOST=1450354511][/DOUBLEPOST]It seems the Latest Hotfix made things even worse, OR the rain was at fault:
    I had a WHOPPING 15 FPS (64bit OpenGL)

CPU usage was at roughly 35% GPU was just sitting there at 5%......

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  4. WSilvermane

WSilvermane Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you, whatever they did for this update destroyed the coding. It's ACTUALLY unplayable.

Narks and GeneralM13 like this.
  5. Arbythedragon

Arbythedragon Void-Bound Voyager

I'm on an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T CPU
    MSI GTX970 ACX2.0
    16GB RAM
    ASUS M5A99X EVO Motherboard.

Running Starbound as 64bit OpenGL
    My framerates are fine when standing still, but if I start to walk at any velocity with a 2X zoom, my fps drops to around 20 or lower and the speed of the game slows with it. Riding a hoverbike makes this effect much worse.
    The effect is less if the zoom is higher. On foot, it is bearable at 3X but painful on a hoverbike, and unnoticeable on foot at 4X.

WE feel your pain :nurusad:

WSilvermane and GeneralM13 like this.
  6. themeteorpolice

themeteorpolice Void-Bound Voyager

We have the same MSI setup. Game is unplayable. I actually hadn't played starbound since early 2014 and saw that it has had some huge updates so I was excited to play. The FPS is just awful. Considering that the ship seems to be fine, I wonder if they are drawing or updating too much of the world in every loop.

Does anyone know if this affects everyone or just certain hardware?

GeneralM13 likes this.
  7. GeneralM13

Glad to hear that i am not the only one with this issue...

8. H3R40

H3R40 Void-Bound Voyager

I have 'similar'(?) specs and my framerate is so low I can't do anything but mine. All day long. I feel like a dwarf or something. I try Erchius' Mining Facility mission and I can't get past a couple mobs because my framerate drop to unplayable levels. I tried everything I found on google and beyond, and to the life of me, I can't find a fix...

9. Dekeon

Dekeon Phantasmal Quasar

Ive got an i5-4670k @ 3.4ghz, 16gb ram, win7 ultimate 64bit, evga geforce gtx780 tried playing with 64bit opengl and regular 64bit and I am getting these same FPS drops everyone else is. I don't know what is the cause but I know it seems to happen with a lot of npcs or monsters so maybe their pathfinding or AI has a problem and is messing things up? Main reason I think its mobs is because I went to a sewer dungeon and when I killed one of the small hopping poo monsters(not the big humanoid one) and it split into multiple smaller ones ALL mobs spawns broke completely after that. They would spawn, but they did absolutely nothing afterwards, like something fried their AI or pathing or something. I had to leave the planet to fix this, oh and when those monsters split like that I got my worst frame hit of all it went from 25-30fps to 4fps.

10. balsh

balsh Void-Bound Voyager

I get huge FPS drops since the Glad Girafe update too
    Game is unplayable to me

11. Mashidaru

Mashidaru Void-Bound Voyager

i have the exact same issue, CPU and GPU don't go over 20% usage and the game is not playable due to stuttering.

12. OneOnlyDan

OneOnlyDan Cosmic Narwhal

Don't get me started on the framerate issues. Last time I played this, I had a VERY basic computer. And with "very basic" I mean barely able to play games running on the source engine with 60fps. Back then I could play Starbound with 2x zoom with 60fps, with occasional drops to around 45fps. Now I'm having similiar issues with my gaming PC. Granted it's not the best gaming PC in the world, but it can handle Minecraft with shaders at ~45fps. And yet I'm having huge issues with the framerate.
    On normal planets it's fine, it tends to remain at 60fps. Until the rain comes along (which, mind you, happens often), my fps drops down to 30. At the outpost the framerate is even lower even though this area is smaller than any planet. And have you seen those bonus challenge portals underground? When I enter those my framerate rests at around 15fps for my entire stay. I can't beat them as a result. I even tried to set my zoom level to 4x, to no avail. This seriously needs to be fixed.

13. Drybonz

Drybonz Subatomic Cosmonaut

Same here... game is unplayable. There's a bunch of threads about this, but I have yet to see any kind of "we are working on it, ETA next patch" response from the company.

14. WSilvermane

WSilvermane Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wouldn't hope for one, at least not until a year later like always. They've sent themselves back to the stone age with whatever they did. They can't ignore this, hundreds of different people with different set ups are having the SAME PROBLEM, but they'll find a way to blame the users once again anyway.

For myself, this game in dead again until it's playable. Again. :/

Drybonz likes this.
  15. GeneralM13

Update: I recently upgraded my PC with a new Motherboard and CPU and reinstalled my entire PC from scratch.

New Specs
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K

Findings:

FPS on the ship is now around 60 (instead of 45-50)
    FPS on Worlds (even @ 2x zoom) is now hovering around 55-60 FPS (instead of 35-40)
    FPS on the Outpost is now hovering between 30-60 FPS depending on where i stand/move (instead of a 25FPS average)

Hardware is STILL slacking off, CPU hovering around 35% and GPU hovering around 15%

Since i saw mostly people with AMD CPU's having this issue, this at least gives a indication that it's not an AMD only issue.

Hope this helps!

~GeneralM13

16. Drybonz

Drybonz Subatomic Cosmonaut

Exactly... I check in on the forums every few months to see if it's worth playing again... most of the time either not much has changed or there is some horrible new problem.

17. Dracodian

Dracodian Space Spelunker

Exactly the same problem... went here to see if there is a fix. 2 out of 4 desks at our LAN were able to play it without horrible lags and _minutes_ of waiting for other characters or map tiles to appear - even in single player. We know it's still in dev but I hoped for some better experience since it's so close to patch 1.0 (as noted on chuckles website). All systems were i7s with more than 16 gig ram and gpus with windows 10 running.

18. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

*sigh* I gotta copy and paste myself.

19. GeneralM13

I might give that a shot, will report back as soon as i checked
    Edit: Checked it, sadly did nothing for me.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  20. AndreSolo

AndreSolo Astral Cartographer

I have lots of stuff and npcs in my ship. It's unplayable even there for me [emoji31]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.