Greater Ring Variety (Suggestions address issues with slingshots, prismatic shards, and more)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by LulItsIan, Jun 2, 2016.

1. LulItsIan

LulItsIan Pangalactic Porcupine

In the game there is currently a deficit in the number of unique rings available, and an even greater deficit in the number of viable rings (i.e., there are quite a few rings that are substantially inferior to other rings by the time you can acquire them.) I have a few suggestions for new rings that could be useful, both in combat and out of combat. The intent is to make rings apart of different aspects of gameplay, as well as increase the diversity of effective combinations of rings. (I've also been playing a lot of Oracle of Ages lately, heh...)

Many of them require prismatic shards in order to be crafted. I've found that, despite their rarity, I have too many prismatic shards in even the second year alone. The shards would make excellent materials for crafting these rings, and it kind of gives them a specific role in crafting: endgame equipment. Of course, the stats and materials listed for each ring are only suggestions.

Skill-based rings

All-Night Ring
    Requires 9 fishing to craft
    Allows you to stay up 1 hour later. Substantially reduces energy and gold loss from staying up late and passing out. Must be worn all day. Emits a constant glow and attracts items.
    1 Iridium Band
    1 Prismatic Shard
    5 Aquamarine

Ring of Flight
    Requires 9 foraging to craft
    Increases your speed by 1. Emits a constant glow and attracts items.
    1 Iridium Band
    1 Prismatic Shard
    5 Jade

Ring of Life
    Requires 9 farming to craft
    Every hour, you regenerate energy depending on how early it is. (12% to 4%, decreasing as the day goes on.) Emits a constant glow and attracts items.
    1 Iridium Band
    1 Prismatic Shard
    5 Emeralds

Blast Ring
    Requires 9 mining to craft
    Nullifies damage from your own explosives. Increases bomb damage by 50%. Emits a constant glow and attracts items.
    1 Iridium Band
    1 Prismatic Shard
    5 Topaz

Other Rings

Missile Ring
    Dropped rarely by squid kids.
    Greatly increases the power of stone and explosive ammo when shot from the slingshot. (Multiplies damage by a constant + the player's combat level, ultimately making both ammos as strong as iridium ore at level 10 combat, which supposedly deals between 50-200 damage per shot.)

Ring of Reversal

Dropped rarely by stone golems.
    Flips the targeting style of the slingshot.

Specter Shot Ring
    Dropped rarely by ghosts.
    Gives a 25% chance to shoot a "ghostly" missile while using a slingshot, not consuming ammo.

Rangers's Ring
    Requires 7 combat to craft.
    Combines the effects of the Reversal Ring, Specter Shot Ring, and the Missile Ring.
    1 Missile Ring
    1 Reversal Ring
    1 Specter Shot Ring
    1 Prismatic Shard

Archer's Ring
    Requires 7 combat to craft.
    Combines the effects of the Specter Shot Ring and the Missile Ring.
    1 Missile Ring
    1 Specter Shot Ring
    1 Prismatic Shard
    *The distinction between these two rings is that this one doesn't reverse the shots, for those who prefer the way the slingshot works now.

Heartstone Ring
    Requires 6 mining to craft.
    Restores health every time you descend a floor through a staircase or pit. (Perhaps 1/4th of the level of the floor exited + 25 if in the skull cave, rounded up.)
    1 Sweet Gem Berry
    5 Rubies
    5 Gold Bars

Sustaining Ring
    Requires 7 mining to craft
    Restores health every time you descend a floor through a staircase or pit. (Same as Heartstone) Restores a little health after killing a monster. (2+ like the original vampire ring, which I think is too weak to begin with)
    1 Heartstone Ring
    1 Vampire Ring
    1 Prismatic Shard

Cursed Ring
    Requires 8 mining to craft.
    Increases damage taken by 25%. Decreases damage done by 20%. Increases luck while in the mines by 3.
    5 Gold Bars
    5 Amethyst
    40 Void Essence

Ring of Risk
    Requires 9 mining to craft
    Increases damage taken by 25%. Decreases damage done by 20%. Increases luck while in the mines by 3. Monsters have a greater chance of dropping loot.
    1 Cursed Ring
    1 Burglar's Ring
    1 Prismatic Shard

Ring of Storms
    Requires 8 foraging to craft
    Increases the chance it will storm the next-next day when worn to bed. The more hours it's worn throughout the day, the greater the chance.
    5 Gold Bars
    1 Aquamarine
    1 Emerald
    1 Truffle
    10 Oak Resin

Friendship Ring

Sometimes sent to the player by a friend in the mail.
    Nullifies gradual loss of friendship due to not talking to people if worn to bed. Increases friendship gains when talking to townspeople by 5. Sometimes, when giving a gift, the recipient will react as if the gift is 1 step better. (I.e., a neutral gift becomes liked. Doesn't apply to loved gifts.)

Procrastinator's Ring

Sometimes sent to the player after completing a "help wanted" quest.
    Sometimes gives you another day to complete a help wanted quest if worn to bed. The more hours it's worn throughout the day, the greater the chance.

Ring of Affairs
    Sold by Krobus for 10000G on Sunday.
    Allows you to give gifts to bachelorettes and bachelors without your spouse knowing.

Lucky Ring
    Dug up rarely.
    Changes your luck for better or for worse. (Modifies luck by a number between -0.5 and 2.0, in increments of 0.1. Randomly selected each day. No indication is given as to what the bonus is.)

Fun Rings Ideas

Imposter's Ring
    Sent to the player upon achieving 10 friendship with the Wizard.
    If worn to bed, the player will wake up looking like the last townsperson they spoke to. Normal dialogue with non-magical villagers isn't possible, who will comment "Huh? You look weird today, (villager's name). Are you okay?" Spouse will comment on how the player isn't there right now. Effect ends when the player takes damage or takes the ring off.

Animal Whisperer's Ring
    Sent to the player upon achieving 10 friendship with Marnie.
    Allows players to talk to animals, who frequently gossip about what certain villagers like, or how to take care of animals, or just about other animals in general.

shushu and Borodin like this.
    • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I like those ideas. And I especially like the difficulty that you've attached to them, so they aren't giveaways.

The Cursed Ring also sounds interesting. Rings with mixed positive/negative effects are a great idea.