1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Guys, chill out.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guys. Guys? Guys.
    Chill.

We've had a lot of reports lately and a lot of complaints about people being rude to new members who are asking questions that most older members already know the answer to, thus incurring the wrath of the community regulars.

We even had one thread where a guy was totally turned off on the idea of buying the game because the community was so rude to him. We are earning ourselves a bad reputation.

Let me quote Ordona on this one:
    And forum member Dust, too:
    Be nice to newbies. Help them out. Politely point them in the direction of a thread with helpful information, or answer their question yourself.

If someone asks a question and you feel incapable of the above, don't respond, your snarky contribution is not needed and is actively harmful.

Let's all try to get along, ok?

2. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

Could this be remedied with a newbie zone? Like a subforum that says All New Members Look here! Like it'd be place for questions and stuff that new members may have because the FAQ section doesnt really seem to serve that purpose and all the questions are funneled into general discussion since they dont know where else to put it.

3. Think I might put an notice up with a link to a help thread that appears when someone registers for the forums. :)

4. WildOats

WildOats Phantasmal Quasar

Well said mollygos, well said.

Zero Geauxst, Axe Garian, Ado and 2 others like this.
  5. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

The one Ordona is making right? That should be more than enough.

Axe Garian likes this.
  6. While I agree with the fact that people need to stop bashing on others, I also think that a some people are being way to sensitive.
    People take things such as "This thread has been posted before" or "Try and look stuff up before posting" as attacks.

But then there are people who blindly go into rage-mode and start chucking actual insults, sometimes just becuase of the title.

7. Yes. :D

Axe Garian and Covert0ddity like this.
  8. This is true, and it's one of the reasons why both sides need to change. Unfortunately, there will always be short-tempered people who will be mad at most replies they get. We can't lecture them, because they're not of this place.
    That said, it's really impossible to even attempt to tell the outside world, as a whole, to take a chill pill in our forums.

With that in mind, we can only really change ourselves if we want a better community [and even so, it's still impossible to satisfy everyone].

Kurogal, Axe Garian, xSpektre and 6 others like this.
  9. Sokina

Sokina Heart of Gold

My thoughts on the matter are this.

It takes moderators less than a minute to take care of duplicate threads, once reported, and it only takes 10 seconds to report somebody and move on.

At what point is bashing on someone, ergonomically speaking, efficient? I mean, it takes longer to make a harmful post than to just report it and move on. And it takes moderators much longer than a minute to handle reports of people harassing / being rude to others. Is it really worth the effort? People are turning something as simple as a thread merging into a big deal, with insults, and harassment. Yes, it's harassment. Someone already said "This has been posted before." Why do 10 other people feel the need to say what the first person already said? Is it going to really get the point across any farther? Or is it just a matter of ganging up on someone.

There is a report feature for a reason. Use it. Do not post and escalate things worse.

Better yet, and here's an idea...

Instead of saying "This has already been posted before, noob." why not....include where it was posted at? If you guys swear on the bible of "It's so easy to search for duplicate threads" why not go the extra foot, prove how easy it is, by linking said duplicate thread?

Don't expect them to walk a mile by themselves if you're not willing to walk a foot to meet them. Don't nark on someone for being unproductive if all you post is "this is useless. It's already been posted. Search before you make threads." That's not all that productive either. Show them how to fish so the whole village can eat. I'm not saying baby them, I'm saying that having 15 people chastise them is stupid amounts of overkill. Don't crucify the poor bastard 15 times for making one mistake.

Cygnusfirst, Disig, Julyuary and 35 others like this.
  10. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

I go into hibernation just ONCE...

I know it's fun to pick on the newbies, guys, but c'mon. You were newbies, once...

de0lsu, AtrKaInN and Covert0ddity like this.
  11. Luthos

Luthos Title Not Found

Deep.

Truth though, only joined yesterday i think and it's already evident to even me there's a 'lotta tightly wound individuals here.

Chillax.

12. Alanzer-DNA

Alanzer-DNA Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well said Molly!

I'm a bit worried about this.
    It's like our community goes a bit crazy waiting for the game, and well, I don't blame them for that. Who wouldn't be crazy for such promising game as Starbound?
    But hey, what is being said in this thread is right. I don't like at all the replies some new guys get when they make a somewhat repetitive thread in the forum.
    C'mon, we're better than that! How can this community lose their cool just because they can't handle new members in a kind and respectful way?
    What if this new person in the forums was you? Unknowing practically everything about all the juicy information of the game... You politely ask something and then everyone jumps to your neck and humiliate you.
    "WTF this community sucks!" you would think.

Do we suck? NO!
    Can we please avoid this kind of situations? YES! The reputation of this community is at risk with this matter.
    AND PLEASE: Think about the moderators! Don't push them right in the middle of the problems you cause just to give them more work with all this mess, which could have been avoided.

So... I guess that's all I wanted to say. Love you people! :p

13. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

I don't understand why pepole can't just move along.It has been discussed a thousand times already?Don't post.
    P.s:I will rage because pepole that cause these problems won't even answer this thread.

Noc, Scarysnake, Shanjaisolen and 2 others like this.
  14. Alanzer-DNA

Let's hope some of them will see this. This should change their minds.
    But yeah, not all of them will read it. That's for sure, sadly.

15. I think some people just feel they need to establish themselves as dominant to the new members, and do so by making them feel ignorant or foolish.
    And it's not cool. But, honestly, it's still going to happen; you're always going to have those aggressive members that love to pick fights, and you can't really do anything about it.

Ripin3 and Covert0ddity like this.
  16. Alanzer-DNA

Then we FIGHT them...! :mad:
    ...with love! :love:

17. Яetrospekt

Яetrospekt Pangalactic Porcupine

There's just no pleasing some people. :seriously:

18. Noc

Noc Guest

I personally don't see a need for a thread like this. Boys will be boys, especially on a forum of this size. I've only seen one thread where a person was unfairly ridiculed, and about ten others specifically addressing it and making a big fuss. It's kinda gross that we can't just let things play out naturally, and defend the person in the thread he's attacked, rather than reporting on it a million times over... these "chill out" threads are getting annoying.

19. This one isn't really just a thread asking people to stop, it's a warning directly from the community manager herself.

20. Noc

Noc Guest

I don't think we should be seeing one. Personally I haven't seen any occurrences of these issues besides the one mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.