Halfway Modding Beta

Discussion in 'Modding Discussion' started by Seminus, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Seminus

Seminus Halfway Developer Developer

Hey everyone,
    We started the Halfway Modding Beta and this forum here is for collecting and sharing everything related to the modding of Halfway.

Read the official announcement for the beta here:

http://halfwaygame.com/?p=178

Please note: This is only for people who want to get their hands dirty and help us test the mod tools. The propre release including Steamworkshop support will come soon. :)

We are looking forward to what you are going to create with the modding tools! :)

• Retrospective

Retrospective Space Spelunker

This might sound like a very stupid question but how to I scroll the map on the level editor tried everything the arrow keys (WASD witch is my current scrolling setting ingame).

• Seminus

• Retrospective

Wow I am such a noob I checked that I din't see it was SPACE + L click , I actually tried Shift and Control + L click . Damn sorry for wasting your time.

• Seminus

no worties ;) have fun making something cool :)

• Retrospective

[​IMG] [​IMG]
            Work in progress ; I love map editor , crashed a few times but its all good X D . I haven't got the time to mess around with the other editors but I will get to them eventually.

• CaptainFoxx

CaptainFoxx Pangalactic Porcupine

I love using the level editor, but it seems to dislike whenever I attempt to save, load, or test a level. I'll put the error here cause I dont see a thread for Modding bugs:

Bug description:
              1.Crashes when attempting to save
              2.Crashes when attempting to load
              3.Crashes when attempting to test a level

System:
              number of processors: 4
              system property hash: 0x7f484244

Stacktrace:
              java.lang.NullPointerException
              at java.io.File.<init>(File.java:277)
              at com.badlogic.gdx.files.FileHandle.<init>(FileHandle.java:60)
              at com.robotality.halfway.editor.tools.Editor.saveMap(Editor.java:123)
              at com.robotality.halfway.editor.ui.LeftPane$20.clicked(LeftPane.java:534)
              at com.badlogic.gdx.scenes.scene2d.utils.ClickListener.touchUp(ClickListener.java:85)
              at com.badlogic.gdx.scenes.scene2d.InputListener.handle(InputListener.java:57)
              at com.badlogic.gdx.scenes.scene2d.Stage.touchUp(Stage.java:346)
              at com.badlogic.gdx.InputMultiplexer.touchUp(InputMultiplexer.java:94)
              at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglInput.processEvents(LwjglInput.java:305)
              at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication.mainLoop(LwjglApplication.java:200)
              at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication$1.run(LwjglApplication.java:114)

Display Modes:
              desktop resolution: 1920x1080x32 (59 hz)

• Seminus

@Retrospective : Ha looking cool! <3

@CaptainFoxx : Can you please send me the level you have that crashes you editor over at: "hello (at) robotality dot com" so we can have a look what went wrong. Also can you provide a short description on what you have done before it crashed the first time?

• CoDi

CoDi Halfway Developer Developer

@CaptainFoxx : we've identified the cause. Until the fix goes live, you should be able to work around the crash by deleting the "editor-settings.txt" file.

• CaptainFoxx

CaptainFoxx Pangalactic Porcupine

@Seminus: It doesn't really matter whats on the editing screen as far as this bug is concerned, it will crash whether the map has been filled or is completely blank.

@CoDi: Deleting the Editor TXT seems to have fixed it, good to know I can still work on making something without having to lose it!

• Seminus

@CaptainFoxx with the new version 1.2.3 the issue should not happen anymore :)

• ScorpyX

ScorpyX Aquatic Astronaut

Ha! I did the same when i first open the map editor
                        tried every combination of buttons to move the camera and fail
                        Luckily in same time i reading wiki and find "hold space + left click" combo
                        it was funny tide of joy - when i fail to find "camera move key" and
                        in next moment i learned that it is super easy and convenient in "photoshop style" (which is very cool by the way)
                        maybe map editor need "inside" something like "question mark icon" which show\open list of hot-keys
                        or\add open wiki page with hot-keys list - it can be very useful[DOUBLEPOST=1415061336][/DOUBLEPOST]this is my "first attempt" by tutorial videos
                        I also experimented with different lighting colors etc
                        [​IMG] | [​IMG]
                        click on image to see full version

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
                        • Seminus

@ScorpyX Wow that looks neat! Love the right one! Nice color touch.
                          About the help system: Yes we had a help page first in the editor, but when we reworked the editor to make it fit for public we decided it is a better idea to link the ? to the wiki, as the whole modding thing is a bit more complicated then we could describe on one page.
                          But I think about a better way to make it visible on the wiki. (Maybe a special page for short cuts... )

• Retrospective

That's good and all but what about guys that don't have internet when they try the editor X D (I know its stupid but it happens). I think that the map editor is self explanatory (being similar with Tiled) , besides having access to the official maps helps a lot with learning .

• Seminus

@Retrospective Feel free to copy and past the information you need in a local file if you need it offline. ;)
                              For us it would be quit some work to update a local manual, so we decided to make in online and always up to date.