1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Han-D thoughts / suggestions thread

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ygdrad, May 11, 2013.

1. Ygdrad

Ygdrad Void-Bound Voyager

My main concern is with his Drone ability. Does anyone know if/how the healing part of the drone scales? It seemed to me that while somewhat useful early when you don't have much to keep your health up, it wasn't nearly enough to make a difference when compared to all the other sources of healing. Even at the beginning the healing provided was nothing fancy because the ability needs kills to be used.

Aside from the scaling question, I'm mostly here to talk balance. The Drone ability, unlike most others is limited when it comes to usability. For example, you can't use it to fight a boss without constantly killing enemies, which will themselves take a toll on your health. Balance-wise, it would be fine to limit the player's ability to use the drone if they were powerful, or at least brought something unique to the table, but they hurt only about 16-17% more than a standard attack, and a lot of items can be used and simply outshine it when it comes to healing. Combine that with a character lacking any sort of mobility or evasion in his skillset and moves which root it in place and create large openings allowing the enemy to hit it, and you notice that Han-D needs to rely on his Drone skill, but currently, it simply doesn't seem to be enough. It' availability is unreliable, and its power/healing seem weak in comparison to other things.

TLDR
    Han-D's moves leave him open
    He needs some form of reliable survivability in his skillset
    Drone is unreliable since you can't always have access to it
    Drone seems weak statistically given how access to it is limited

Maybe I'm playing him wrong, maybe I just don't have enough experience with the game yet having only reached the 3rd zone. If you see something I don't or have your own thoughts on Han-D, post in here.

Treadlight likes this.
    • Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

You probably need to play him a little more ballsy. I always dive head-first into a mob of angry f'ers and beat the living daylights out of them in seconds. The drones are your key to survival there, because a mob of enemies will whittle down your health to zero in an instant. Using your drones as you get low on health and as your enemies get low on health too is key. I always open with a hammer smash, a few basic attacks and then use my Overclock and basic attacks to fight off my enemies. An additional hammer smash keeps the Overclock ticking and I deal massive damage. While doing so, I look at my healthbar and use about 4-7 drones when I feel like I need a quick health boost. At that point I also run away to not get swarmed.

Han-D is an excellent tank if played rightly. The Items you get can define your playing style with him, though. I've noticed that when I get a lot of cooldown items like Soldiers Syringe, I become more agressive. When I get Infusion, I play a little more passive and try to farm out the enemies for that health boost I'm bound to get.

An early-game tactic I've just discovered is using the Hammer on a Lemurian and straight after knock in a drone. The Lemurian dies in mid-air and grants you an additional drone, as well as any health you may have lost.

Good luck - you'll need to find your own playing style if you want to master Han-D. I instantly found it, I guess, so I guess he was really 'made for me' and I can't say much about what to do, because I just naturally play well with him - he's easily my favourite character - but you'll learn if you like him enough.

• gangwarily

gangwarily Astral Cartographer

I adore Han-D! The only issue is that I rarely play any of the other classes anymore and this probably have to do with the fact that Han-D has a native heal skill where every other class so far don't. I'm not sure if that's because it fits my playstyle more (I love tanky characters).

• Restarter000

Restarter000 Intergalactic Tourist

Interesting. I forgot about the heal part, probably cause I haven't noticed it haha. It's a change I could understand.
          Like 4% of max hp heal would be alright.
          He is getting a speed boost on his powerup as well which is great. So he can get to the hard to get to chests that he currently can't get to.

• DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think all new classes will have articles like this "Oh, I played it a bit and think it sucks!". HAN-D is awesome!

• Ygdrad

Ygdrad Void-Bound Voyager

I tried him some more and yeah. The heal is actually pretty strong when you're mowing down large amounts of enemies. But running out of drones against some of the more annoying enemies is pretty bad.

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, I always try to keep at least three tactical drones for emergency situations, but when a swarm of Bisons or Snow Golems comes up, at some point, something's just gotta give...

• gangwarily

gangwarily Astral Cartographer

STAY CALM AND ALWAYS HAVE EMERGENCY DRONES.