Hat mod, how do I?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Shmooey, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Shmooey

Shmooey Void-Bound Voyager

I haven't played Stardew Valley since 2017 and now I come back and everything is different. Two years ago, if you wanted to add something, in many cases you'd just replaced the vanilla .xnb file. I had an altered hats.xnb file that I altered myself and it contained, no joke, more than a hundred different hats. Well, evidently, it's not enough to just replace the hats.xnb because most of my hats aren't showing up in-game--only something like 38 hats are showing up, which is the number that is hardcoded into the game. How can I get my hats into the game? Or have things changed so much that it's no longer possible?

Edit: After doing some Googling, it turns out that hats.xnb changes don't work and if I want my many, many, many (lol) hats to show up, I'll have to make a content pack version. Great. How do I?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    • minervamaga

minervamaga Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd suggest looking at an example CP hat pack (here's one of my early ones!) or looking at making a Json Assets pack instead (an example of the formatting here). If you have questions, the SDV discord #modding channel is the best place to come for help!

• Shmooey

Shmooey Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you! Discord confuses me. It's like a chat room? Anyway, I'm thinking along the lines of a content pack and it will help to have an example I can use.

• Moragaine

Moragaine Existential Complex

Yes, discord is a chat program. The SdV one has a number of channels for various topics, including one for modding the game - making them and helping people having trouble with them.