having trouble with tiled map editing, please help. (fixed, TY )

Discussion in 'Mods' started by shelldragongirl, Aug 20, 2019.

1. shelldragongirl

shelldragongirl Void-Bound Voyager

I was working on a spin off map of someone else's mod( not going to publish it without approval from that modder) but I'm having a problem with .tmx files loading into the game. I have the tmxloader mad but I can't get it to work. maybe some one could be so kind as to walk me through it? I was using tIDE but I couldn't figure out how to animate tiles. If that's something that someone could help me with maybe it would be easier to use tIDE again.

anyway thanks for taking the time to read my post, if this is in the wrong place let me know where I can find help.

• hatmouse

hatmouse Phantasmal Quasar

Can you explain some more how you're trying to load your map into the game, maybe post the TMXLoader pack you've put together? The map will need to in a content pack specifically for TMXLoader, not just having TMXL installed. (Tiled can open/edit/save tbin files too, though -- and TMXL can load them -- if you've enabled the plugin in preferences. )

You can also ask for help in the #modding channel of the SDV Discord.

shelldragongirl likes this.
      • shelldragongirl

IMG_20190831_234318371_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
        This happened...
        I'm very new to modding, if I could give it to someone to finish... maybe. I've all but given up

• treannec

treannec Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ok love. First you might need to re download OR update tiled i had the same issue a month or two ago. As for animating sprites if it for maps in tiled you can actually do it within the program suuuuper easy. I have some free time and can try to help you tweak it since i am currently mashing up all my modded maps that dont work together. I dont know much about TMX loader but i do have basic tiled reworking down <3

• shelldragongirl

Thanks I'll try that. animating in Tiled was very easy, my problem is file conversion. I think I messed up somewhere moving the map to tiled from tide as my tiled would not seem to open it. at some point it went from a .tbin to a cvs to a .tmx. and I'm still trying to figure out making a cp pack... I'm not sure about editing .json files I haven't even dabbled in that yet. anyway the map looks good in tiled, animations are working, but i can't load it to debug it. would tmxloader need me to make a file chain for it? (ex. content> maps)
            Thanks again for the help

also here's the file....

Attached Files:

• treannec

Im gunna take a quick look at it. Generally if its a map i dont touch the .json unless they dont work to begin with

Is there supposed to be that HUUUGE black area on the right (? im dyslexic so im hit or miss on sides sometimes)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2019
              • shelldragongirl

This map started life as Froststar11's fairy cave they made the map size i didn't touch any of that as I didn't know if it would mess everything up in a different way

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
                • treannec

ok! knowing that i might be able to rebuild it as a content pack... As long as you didnt make sting changes i should be able to get it to work. Lemme see what i can do cuz you have all the stuff there its just being a bit of a booger. Now that i know for sure it is built off a content patcher that helps too for some reson i thought it was something with advanced location loader which i am not as familiar with

• shelldragongirl

Oh my goodness you have been such a huge help!

all though my little mod may not be out of the woods yet, it's almost there!

• treannec

Ok so just an update. By running it through my tiled and saving it new a couple of times i got it loading as a content patcher. Buuuut it will not let me use the ladder. So I am downloading the base mod you used and im gunna see if me having to Copy paste it to a .tbin instead of a .tmx messed something up. Hopefully it will be quick fix. I am a little surprised its giving this much trouble since it sounds like its just a map edit.

• treannec

Eurika! Comparing the original map and yours all the tile data is missing!!!!! If i just transfer you stuff over using the stamp tool It should be all hunky dory. Im gunna give it a try.

• shelldragongirl

yeah tile properties were the next thing i had to take care of...

• treannec

Okey doke hun. Now technically it all works as you sent it and is set up as a content patcher. there is just oooone issue. Since you have moved some assets they are no longer triggering in the right places. Also in some areas you have the wrong tiles on the wrong layer. Do you want me to go throught the layers and try to Sort them? Also do you want me to try and figure out how to get the part that takes your clothes off in the right spot?

Attached Files:

• treannec

For example you had some crystals in the path layer. The area defining the edge of the ppol is set as back ground where all but the stairs need to be set on the building layer so you cant just wander in and out

• shelldragongirl

oh no... it looks like i gave the wrong map... i have so many farmcave files it got mixed up...

this should be the right one...
                                i'm so sorry, thank you again for taking your time to help me

Attached Files:

• treannec

oh WOW that one Wont even load the assets you included with the last map you sent! Well it is almost 4am so im gonna have to take a nap at least. I can try to convince it that the assets you sent are the right ones in the morning at this time though it wont even pull from them when i try to directly import them. If that doesn't work if you can view the individual layers and send me screen shots i can rebuild the map. As it is though its not even recognizing the path.png Or path.tsx... Without it loading the assets i cant even try and turn it into a .tbin.

Either way nap time for not and i will fiddle around with it when i am among the living again

Attached Files:

• treannec

I tried using TMX loader to try and at least load it into my game and i cant even get it to do that. Again nap time but i will get to this first thing tomorrow

• treannec

I live!!! Let me know what new avenue of approaches you wanna try. Again i am down just helping you re build it in tiled and sending it to you in a packed content patcher set up like the last .zip i sent

• shelldragongirl

I'm thinking of going back to square one, and building it form the games original Farmcave map. what i would need help with would be:
                                        tile properties, such as:
                                        warps, paths for lighting and sound, water fx getting it to look like the water in the fishing level of the mines, regen stamina in water like bathhouse, and adding more harvest-able large and small stones...
                                        This was my most ambitious project...

I really do appreciate all the help you given me so far, I really hope we can bring this mod to life.

• shelldragongirl

Ok, so I keep having this pop. how do i fix this?

IMG_20190902_131023590.jpg