health alarm

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by mrdrew, Nov 3, 2016.

1. mrdrew

mrdrew Tentacle Wrangler

add a health alarm similar to hungry alarm

2. Filiforme

Filiforme Lucky Number 13

I also really would like to see some kind of change to alert lower health. Not an alarm though. Something more immersive live a change in the sound the charachter makes when hit? Something lower pitched or a different sound when lower than 20% life. Sometimes I'm just too focused on not going in lava while fighting a bunch of enemies to realize I'm getting really low on life!

ko9vu5 likes this.
  3. Plasmataz

Plasmataz Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe make the edges of the screen saturated and red, like many other games do to indicate that the player is low on life?

4. Caaros the King of Chaos

Caaros the King of Chaos Void-Bound Voyager

I second this idea, as I often end up being murdered by the local wildlife because I'm focused on something else.

5. Pazius

Pazius Pangalactic Porcupine

This would be a great use for the facial expression system too, being able to tell who is on low health based on how pained they look

6. Witch Cat

Witch Cat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like this idea! But let's maybe not alert the player with an alarm, that would get annoying and break immersion really quickly. A game that requires a lot of grinding (like Starbound) relies on immersion to keep the player interested for long periods of time. So how about instead of an alarm, the character's running/walking animation would seem more sluggish (without actually altering their speed), and as people above suggested, lower pitched grunting, edges of the screen growing red, etc. Perhaps little drops of blood could be spilt on the ground too when the character is walking if he or she is low on health.

7. Singkun

Singkun Void-Bound Voyager

As well as fasten heartbeat, tho it might be nerve wracking sometimes.

8. Witch Cat

Witch Cat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like that idea too, but it seems a bit too intense and ill-fitting at times. Perhaps a quick heart rate only plays if the player is low on health and in a combat situation (fighting an enemy, is in a boss room, etc.).