1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Hey guys! Dev here!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hopoo, May 5, 2013.

1. MoonyJello

MoonyJello Existential Complex

Oh this is great, I was watching this on Kickstarter!

Chucklefish'll be rackin' in the dough, they've got this, Starbound, Wanderlust, Stardew Valley, and Treasure Adventure World?
    This is an awesome lineup, it's too good to be true :p

• Spire

Spire Phantasmal Quasar

If two trains leave San Diego and Santa Monica, California an Hour apart, and one is traveling at 245 miles per hour, and one is traveling at 140 miles per hour, how long till they meet?

• DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Will players of closed beta got a permission to submit gameplay videos of RoR? This moment I just don't have any money to back this game but I really want to see all this stuff behind the scenes.

• navar0nius

navar0nius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Are people allowed to share the beta with a friend until it moves over to Steam? Just curious.

• Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

Alright, I'd have a question, as well as comment/suggestion on the idea. Also, given that the post may imply negative tone - I'm not trying to push, choice is up to you, but anyway - since I know there are a few folks around like that, asking in their name as well:

Could you consider please knocking off this horrible labeling of 'roguelike-like' as seen on tumblr or indiedb?

The reason I ask is because it got FTL infameous in some circles and in some cases it will turn traditional roguelike players away from your game - I already heard claims and accusations of 'jumping hipsterish roguelike-like-like-like bandwagon' among indie developers, claims (sadly, often fitting) that this or that developer is clueless and just hard, procedural-gen'ned permadeath dungeon crawler equals roguelike for him etc.

I wouldn't want this, rather promising game to get the same reputation. Claiming some features are inspired by roguelikes is far safer, gives the same idea and doesn't disturb non-hybrid roguelike fans who in some cases may be disappointed (traditional roguelikes being, per Occam Razor, 'like Rogue', in more ways than just aforementioned cRPG randomized-dungeon hack&slash with permadeath).

• Mamont

Mamont Void-Bound Voyager

• RXD

RXD Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just tried the demo, and holy fug, I am pre ordering this whenever it will be available.
              Also a question, will shooting stay hitscan or there will be actual projectiles in the future?

• petelectro

petelectro Subatomic Cosmonaut

I just made it to level 4 the first time, holy gooseballs do my hands hurt now :D

I'm so going to buy a usb gamepad just for this game.

• joey4track

joey4track Ketchup Robot

I think it's fine to label this as roguelike-like. The keyword is 'like'. I am a huge of roguelikes and have been for many many years and I too was hesitant when all these 'like' games came out but now it is pretty much it's own genre and if roguelikes are influencing games today then I am totally fine with it.

• navar0nius

navar0nius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I do not think it's a roguelike-LIKE, even. I made up my own definition of it -- "Awesomenauts meets Cave Story meets Turrican".

Salem_1337 likes this.
                    • Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

Well, thus my question-suggestion. I must say that it does seem even closer to Metroidvanias (although still I'd think twice before calling it such) for me than Roguelikes as well, which makes even more of a reason to not follow marketing technique of likening itself to a rather still-different game genre. It's platformer. With some very basic RPG elements.

• QuaziPance

QuaziPance Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think that anyone who has been keeping up with indie games for the last couple of years knows that when they see "roguelike-like X" that it usually means that it is in the genre of X, however it borrows from roguelikes by having procedurally generated content, permadeath, some sort of RPG element and generally a very steep learning curve.

So as long as a game has all of these things then there is no reason not to liken it to roguelikes, the general experience ends up being very similar. To me it would be more annoying if it was catagorized as "2D action platformer with permadeath, procedurally generated levels, RPG elements and high level of difficulty", I think then people would say "why didn't they just say 2D action-platformer with roguelike elements" and then "with roguelike elements" can easily be translated to "roguelike-like" for ease of use.

Slightly unrelated, but at least it's better than the MOBA genre of games, where they just made up a genre name that makes no sense, instead of just saying DOTA-like (granted that was done for obvious reasons, because LoL doesn't want to be called a DOTA-like when DOTA 2 is its biggest competitor).

tldr; I think roguelike-like is a good enough descriptor of this genre, no need to change.

Draken09 likes this.
                        • Belmanthor

Belmanthor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow, I didn't even know that someone from Chucklefish made this! Awesome games everywhere! :D

• hopoo

hopoo Risk of Rain Developer Developer

y = 245x
                            y = 140x + 140
                            solve to get 1.333 hours. If this is a trick question I'm going to ban you :whoop:

Yep, go ahead!
                            We already have the option of projectiles, but the current class will keep their hitscan bullets (unless it plays better with projectiles!)
                            Haha, we have been trying to say roguelike-elements since the beginning of development specifically to avoid this, but we still get some accusations. If you see anywhere where we call the game a roguelike, please point it out so we can fix it :)

• MoonyJello

MoonyJello Existential Complex

How long until this happens, I want this demo on my Mac dammit!

• joey4track

joey4track Ketchup Robot

This controversy around roguelike(like)s is pretty stupid. And this 'jumping hipster roguelike bandwagon'?? What does that even mean? People are so silly and take themselves way too seriously.

And to anyone who still uses the word 'hipster', please take a couple minutes and watch this video:

Seria-Myouna likes this.
                                • Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

Hey guys this isnt a discussion about what is and what isnt a rogue like dont start bickering.

• gangwarily

gangwarily Astral Cartographer

Exactly. This is irrelevant and pointless.

• Lmaoboat

Lmaoboat Void-Bound Voyager

Eh, Colondashverticalbar is more of a dog's name, imo.

• DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My friends asking about possibility to acquire steam keys when game will be released if they back RoR on kickstarter now.