1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Host on Steam, join by IP?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Indigaido, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Indigaido

Indigaido Void-Bound Voyager

I can play Starbound with friends just fine via Steam, but it's been a while since we last played, and now I have a lot of mods that wouldn't work well if I play online with them.

So I'm running a copy of the game outside of Steam to run a more vanilla Starbound, but will I be able to join their Steam session via IP? I know there's the dedicated server, but I'm wondering specifically for the Steam Network. So, say, a friend is playing on Steam and another friend joins via Steam, if they portforward, will I be able to join via IP? Or would they have to run the dedicated server?

2. megagameryagiz

megagameryagiz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

you cant.

3. Indigaido

Indigaido Void-Bound Voyager

Hah, yeah, I ended up trying it myself as the time to play with my friend came before I got the answer. It's unfortunate, but thanks. Portforwarding isn't too bad anyway, but ultimately I just decided to forego the mods and enjoy the original game a bit more, with ease of joining friends.