1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Hosting a local Starbound server.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by epicpotato7, Feb 12, 2020.

1. epicpotato7

epicpotato7 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hi peeps,

I have three copies of Starbound (my own, my wife's and my daughters). I want to install Starbound Server to my Windows Server 2019, so that it can stay running and any of us can log in without the others playing. My daughter's friend also plays Starbound, so I'd port forward the starbound port to the server so that she could log in too.

My question is: Do I need to buy another copy of Starbound for the server? Would I also need to install Steam on the server so that it gets updates?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Potato

2. Lexiconian

Lexiconian Void-Bound Voyager

Starbound rarely gets updates anymore. In fact there are no known plans for any more updats right now.

All you need to do is copy the whole game directory to the server and run the server software directly. That is it. From there, your other computers just connect via the server IP address. You shouldn't need to do anything more. Maybe some filrewall exceptions, but I doubt it.

Any mods you may want on the server, just download them and install them manually like any other non-workshop mod. Making sure they are server-side only mods, otherwise anyone joining will need those mods too.

3. epicpotato7

epicpotato7 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you very much :)

I'll do that