Hotbars, Hunger and the Protectorate

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by CBookie, Jun 19, 2016.

1. CBookie

CBookie Void-Bound Voyager

*Some spoilers ahead regarding the story*

These are some suggestions I have for Starbound 1.0 regarding the hotbars, the difficulty features, and your character being the "Last Protector."

1. The hotbars.
    A dev blog post (http://playstarbound.com/16th-june-dog-friends/) has shown us Chucklefish's ideas for the new hotbars.
    Old: [​IMG]
    New: [​IMG]

While I do like the concept for the new hotbars, I don't think both of them should be this way. I feel like the usage of two-handed tools and weapons is being overlooked. It feels overcomplicated and just wrong, having one weapon take up two spaces, so I think it would be much easier and work a lot better to have one hotbar in each format; one plain, 10-to-12-slot hotbar with the Matter Manipulator tools in the middle (as it used to be), and one hotbar with grouped-together pairs to cater to the easier use of one-handed weapons and items. This, I feel like, would work much better than having two of just one or the other option.

2. Hunger and other difficulty features.
    [​IMG]

Note: old picture
    I love the idea of hunger returning to the game! This one little thing adds so much to the experience. However, I still have suggestions for improvement. I don't think hunger and the dropping of items upon death should be grouped together. While hunger can make things interesting, item-dropping just annoys me. It's a personal thing, I guess. I think it would be good to have the individual components such as hunger and item-dropping separate from each other in the midst of character creation, to make things easier for people like me.

3. The "Last" of the Protectorate.
    [​IMG]

Alright, this one is kind of nitpicky, but I just don't like the "last member of the Protectorate" thing that's being done with the story. This messes with the notion of multiplayer, as well as a few other things. You can't just be the last one! It's a huge organization to make peace between races, and since all of them are part of the group, it's reasonable to assume that the Protectorate is spread out widely among the stars. Even if Earth is the only base of operations, many members will still be able to travel through space and therefore not be on Earth during its destruction. I mean, just seeing Esther at the Ark proves this! I don't think it's likely that every single member of the Protectorate aside from Esther was on Earth and at the Protectorate graduation ceremony when the planet was destroyed. Even if this was the case, many of them can fly spaceships and it would make sense for there to be a lot of said ships there! At least some other people could escape! Something like a mass exodus of the planet Earth, with many, many people, and most of the present Protectorate members dying (but not all!) seems to make more sense and help things work out. And not much would need to be changed, I think only a few sentences of dialogue at certain points in the game?

Okay, I'm sorry if I sounded rude or ranty at all in that. I love Starbound, and just needed to say some things that were bothering me. If anyone would care to share their ideas or tell me things that I could have gotten wrong, I'd welcome it.

I hope my ideas are seen, and I wish my fellow spacelings farewell in their astronomical endeavors. Goodbye for now

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  2. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

A note. If you're going to talk about the story, add a spoiler tag. Some people, me included, want to avoid spoilers.

3. CBookie

CBookie Void-Bound Voyager

Whoops! Sorry, friend, I'll do that right away!

4. Shadow20218

Shadow20218 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I keep wondering why the protectorate uniform chest piece tells me that I will be better recognized. But by who, since throughout the rest of the game the only other protectorate member is Esther but she recognizes me as a hero/protectorate member with or without the chest piece. I agree with your comments here and think he protectorate should have its own sort of village/town since they are a peace organization that is specifically designed to spread peace THROUGHOUT THE UNIVERSE.

5. ryanzec

ryanzec Intergalactic Tourist

I like the idea about separating difficulty settings. Personally I am the opposite in that I would rather just have loss items and not have the hunger stuff (but that is more because of how it works as I do like the idea of a hunger feature). I like the loss of items feature as it keeps you on your toes to not die.

They can then add more difficulty settings and have each one be toggleable.

6. jasonwolf

jasonwolf Void-Bound Voyager

your point about the protectorate hit my literal biggest problem with the story. You are telling me LITERALLY every member of it besides me and Esther were destroyed on ONE planet. Literally everyone was on earth for the graduation of 5 people?

7. Shadow20218

Shadow20218 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yup, it makes no sense to me. Either they intend to add in a protectorate village due to it being a peaceful society or leave it that the protectorate got destroyed with everyone in it. I personally would want a sort of ruined camp for the protectorate so I can were the uniform for a real reason. The other thing s that they were designed to be an intergalactic peace keeping organization. Even if all the major members were at the graduation, there would at least be one or two people left in the buildings. Perhaps these new villages will be a space station in the meteor biome