Modding Help How can I add new NPC threats?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Vaderzin, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Vaderzin

Vaderzin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey guys!
    I need some help. I'm creating a mod for starbound, and i have made some new NPCs. So far, so good. Through the spawn NPC command, i can make them to appear. But i dont know how to make the NPCs to be generated in the game. I've made them like cultis or bandits. And i want them to appear in game like cultis or bandits, in pairs or three NPCs.

Can some one help me?

2. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

NPCs like the bandits you've no doubt seen randomly spawn on planets belong to a dungeon generation.

I suggest to check out "/dungeons/randomencounter/" for those dungeon files. You can create similar random encounter dungeons or add to them through patches.

(Sorry, if my info is slightly inaccurate, I'm guessing the exact filepath while I'm away from my main computer.)

3. Vaderzin

I don't get it! In the randomencounter file is almost just about images.

4. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Alright, now I'm in front of the files:

First, let me revise my statement. The files you would most likely want to use are under the vanilla assets in "/dungeons/encounterdungeons/".
    Second, if you haven't already, you should have a basic understanding of Starbound modding; At least, the basic operations. Highly recommended is The | Suit's Unofficial Modding E-Book:
    (http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/unofficial-modding-ebook-2-0.2930/)

Once you have that knowledge, (or if you already do) inside that file directory are several .json files that are the dungeons themselves. To open and edit them, you will need another program called Tiled.
    (http://www.mapeditor.org/)
    The version I recommend is 0.15.2. Later releases have a change that makes map making in SB extremely tiresome...

Without going into a page or two long tutorial on everything you need to do, with these things, you can poke around in the files and begin seeing first-hand how they work.
    (Im not too willing at the moment to outline EVERYTHING that you would do to make this work, as I am quite busy myself. I at least hope to get you started to what you should look at so you can better understand it. )

5. Vaderzin

Man you really helped me! Thank you so much! Now the new NPCs are showing in game. Finally! Soon i will be publishing my mod.
    Thanks once again!

Inf_Wolf14 likes this.