Modding Help How do I view/edit the .PLAYER, .INSTRUMENT, .ITEM, etc. files?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Wa.luigi.time, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Wa.luigi.time

Wa.luigi.time Subatomic Cosmonaut

I succesfully unpacked my Starbound files but I want to be able to see and edit the code behind .INSTRUMENT files and such.
    How do I do that?

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Most files are actually JSON format regardless of file extension. The exceptions are .lua (scripts), .png (image files), and .ogg (sound files). JSON and LUA can be edited in any plain text editor, although I don't recommend it. I'd recommend using something more advanced like Notepad++ which has a JSON highlighting mode among other nice features.

3. Wa.luigi.time

Wa.luigi.time Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'll try notepad++. My problem is that I can't open any of the files because I don't have anything that supports it. (I do have notepad but it doesn't show up in the supported apps list)

4. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Windows simply doesn't think they're supported because the extensions aren't registered. If you dragged the files into notepad (or something better), it will work. And you can register the extensions as you use them to make it easier (just double click).

5. terminalcaesura

terminalcaesura Void-Bound Voyager

Same as what bk3k said, notepad++ should open the files fine but i'd also highly recommend trying the free software Visual Studio Code along with the Starbound syntax packages (here and here).
    It's much easier to organize your workspace/code and streamline a lot of otherwise tedious find/replace work.