Modding Help How Does One Access Object Files?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Brickman59, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Brickman59

Brickman59 Void-Bound Voyager

Hi, I'm a complete noob when it comes to making my own mods. The only experience I've had with mods is installing them, whether it be through steam, mod db, or even the nexus. I have decided I want to make my own mod that changes a lot of the animated furniture items (like the crafting stations) into static ones so that it should run better on slower computers. I have already unpacked the packed.pak file from c://Program Files(x86)/Steam/Steamapps/common/Starbound/Assets but I have had no luck from there. I would appreciate any help as this has been detrimental to my playing experience and I am too lazy to make enough money to buy a computer than can properly run the game. It also helps that I enjoy the game. Thanks!

2. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

In the folder where you have your assets unpacked, go to the folder labeled "objects", in here, the objects are all categorized and sorted into appropriate folders.
    Once you find the specific one you are looking for, all of the files, with exception to the image (obviously), can be opened with any text editor.

If you haven't already, checking out a basic modding tutorial. Most show you around the assets and where things are. :)