How is level scaling? (Seems very fast?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Omenchild, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Omenchild

Omenchild Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've level'd 50% of all of the available skills/professions and I'm only 60-70% of my first year.. I'm an old Harvestmoon and Rune Factory player so I'm used to everything going slow.
    That's why I'm afraid that it might be going to fast for my taste, so I wonder how steep the level difficulty is after the 50% mark? If unchanged or only slight difference then I wonder if there is a mod or tweak to make it harder to level up?
    I don't want to max out everything til at least my 2-3year

/Omen

• Filthy Casual

Filthy Casual Space Penguin Leader

Foraging seems to be the slowest (as you naturally end up foraging less as your farm gets up to speed)
      But it can be very easy to level if done right.

Really nothing is super hard if you are hitting the game hardcore...just like HM really.

Slow down and smell the flowers, like your first time playing HM or RF

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Foraging is fast, if you let trees grow on your farm for the first 2-3 months and then decide to start chopping them all down at once, lol. But either way you gotta wait.

Also, starting to chop all the choppable trees down outside your farm also helps but then if you're blowing all kinds of energy into doing that, you probably aren't making money doing things like fishing instead.

• MagicallyClueless

MagicallyClueless Master Astronaut

It depends on what you do in the game, I think. I'm on year 4 and both my mining and my combat skills are at level 9. u^u Getting through the first 5 or so levels can be pretty easy and breeze by, but I think 7-10 are the slowest.

• Omenchild

Yeah.. That's true

hm okay. So I'ts not worth trying to change it?

• Arduinna

Arduinna Astral Cartographer

Absolutly worth imo.
              I like SV but it's extremely casual. For me the leveling is ridiculously fast (with very low level caps) and upgrades ridiculously cheap, this is why I see it as a casual game... a long and very well done one with a lot of love in it, but sadly very easy.
              I prefere having to do a lot of work for these... Yes I could play deliberatly slow, but why? I want to play the game and not dawdle around instead of actually doing something...
              I play a second farmer at the moment, with severe slowdown rules, like no watering, fruit trees and green house... and it's still extremely easy and fast.... :<

• Omenchild

I agree completly, but now the question is, is there a mod that fixes it?

• Arduinna

I don't know any... But I feel uncomfortable with deeper mods than reskins, I did a lot of modding in some other game with frequent updates and it was horrible... either it took forever until all mods would be updated too or you would have some damage to your world... I've learned not to do this again >.<

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

The best thing to do in a game that is early in its development cycle, is to mod with the acceptance that you might need to start a new game if your mod breaks your savefile because of an update.

And with a game like Stardew Valley, most of the fun factor is in the first year anyways so that's no big deal.

• Arduinna

Let's say: the best thing to do when a game is in this stage is to mod only if you are ok with the possible to likely loss of your save(s)?

I enjoy longtime, more or less open end playstyles in this kind of games most.
                      I guess I would be more happy with the low upgrade requirements, if I wouldn't...
                      Different persons, different perspectives :3

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, thing is, if you mod a game that is still early in development, you might lose all of your progress due to a mod changing a savefile to where it is only accessible with that mod, but yet the mod being broken by the game update and maybe the mod is made impossible, therefore the savefile remains inaccessible.

It's always a possibility and if you are going to do any major modding to a game that's early in development, one needs to keep in mind that this is a possibility and be prepared for the worst to happen.

But again, I don't do any modding outside of .xnb file swaps myself. Partly for that reason, and partly because I don't like 3rd Party APIs; I avoid them when possible unless I am truly bored with a game (I FINALLY started using ones for Terraria, a couple years after they started popping up), but that was only after I had put 800 some hours into Terraria.

• Omenchild

Yes of course one have to keep that in mind when it's this early. But in my head (That might be copmpletly wrong) it's just a matter of changing some parameters on how much exp is needed for the various stages of level up? As said I'm not an expert on this, I'm in fact quite horrible at it xD

• ssokolow

ssokolow Cosmic Narwhal

That depends on how the game is written. For example:

1. People are still losing their galaxy swords in the latest version because, rather than "un-lose-able" being an attribute on the definition of what a galaxy sword is, SA made it an attribute on the inventory entry... which means it didn't get added to saves where people acquired them before the fix. (On the plus side, it should make it possible for me to edit my save file and make my entire inventory un-lose-able when going into the mines.)
                            2. It's impossible to move the shipping box with a map edit because its actual position is hard-coded into the game code rather than being tied to the sprite's entry in the map data.
                            3. Doing translations is difficult because the text is hard-coded into the game executable and not indirected through something like a gettext PO file as is the industry standard way of doing translations.
                            It's entirely possible that the save file and the game state are tied together in such a way that, if the mod goes missing and then the save file is loaded, the game will get very confused by what it sees. (eg. I can easily imagine ways of implementing SDV which would cause it to break if, on loading the file without the mod, it finds that you've got the EXP for level 10 but are only at level 6.)

• Omenchild

That's understandable, but isn't that simple management? I mean like check the patchnotes to see if levelsystem has changed, make a backup of save and perhaps adapt the official changes to the mod?

• ssokolow

ssokolow Cosmic Narwhal

That assumes the modder is still maintaining the mod... which is the concern which keeps me from modding games until the devs stop updating them. (eg. I'll mod Oblivion to fix the bass-ackwards difficulty curve that lets high-level players get curb-stomped by enemies that low-level players can beat easily.)

• Mythoss

Mythoss Subatomic Cosmonaut

I pretty much have everything 10 by the first year. It either needs to be slower or we need another set of perks at 15.

• lordofdragonss

lordofdragonss Void-Bound Voyager

Indeed that would be nice and it would help diferentiate people when the multiplayer hits :)

• Omenchild

Yeah you're right... I might be a fool for trying to find a way around it

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

It took me three years to reach 10 in two categories. One is still at 2. I see that others have gotten 10 in a year or two, in all categories--which probably means the system is reasonably balanced for different playing styles. This is the kind of thing that I suspect should be adjustable by mods, if it isn't already.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
                                        • Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

It probably depends on your style of thinking and how you choose to manage time and energy.

I, myself, maxed out all the categories in Late Year 2. But then again, with the exception of fishing, I was actively trying to raise my skills as quickly as possible, though I hit fishing HARD in Winter 1 on my first playthrough because I had no crops to grow, and the mines... well I did the mines ASAP and I'm glad I did lol. The sooner you can make quality sprinklers the better!

But if you're more of a socializer and you spend more time socializing with people then your skills probably aren't going up as fast; my first playthrough I had my spouse, and most other people were at ~5 hearts (that's AFTER the boost from the CC bundle).