Modding Help How Many Pixels Does A Weapon Sprite Have?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Frost HYdra, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Frost HYdra

Frost HYdra Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not really a modding problem, but I am starting to make my own mod but I can't seem to find how many pixels a sprite have ( Specifically pistols or machine pistols.) Call me stupid for not knowing such a basic thing, but can anyone tell the answer to my question?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  2. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

Well as an example, I have made a revolver, and it's dimensions are 19x9. That may be a little small, you can go a little bigger, however, size doesn't matter, the weapon can be as big as you want it to be, this is just a measurement that "looks" okay.

3. Frost HYdra

Is there a way for a weapon to appear smaller in-game while still maintaining it's resolution?

4. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

Sadly computers don't work that way, and neither does this game.

Supposedly there is a way to scale items down, but you still lose the detail.

5. Errors4l

Errors4l Spaceman Spiff

Assuming you're playing on at least 2x scale, you can scale animation groups on active items. This means scaling down to some extent is possible without losing quality, but it often doesn't look very good in the game.

I'm not sure what the function is and neither can I look it up right now. Try looking though the Lua documentation for scaleTransformationGroup or something similar.

6. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Weapons are as big as you want them. The size doesn't really effect the functionality at all.

There are image modifiers you can add to the json.

?scale=<value> will allow you to scale the sprite reletive to the game scale.

bk3k likes this.
  7. Errors4l

Errors4l Spaceman Spiff

These work with the dimensions of the image, so downsizing will always result in a loss of quality.
    The scale method won't if your game scale multiplied by transformation group scale >= 1.

8. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah the sprite in this game are really small, I usually use something like 35X10 and people are like "Why don't you put more details in your weapons" and I'm like "I put as much detail as I can but not everything fit in 35X10 pixels pic)
    If you could scale the sprite to put more detail I think there will be a lot more weapons mod , let's say I want to make the plasma rifle from Halo , I could take an image on the internet then scale it to make a small hd weapon, but it doesn't work like that, that work in minecraft but not in Starbound you have to make the sprite from scratch and it's not easy thing.
    Btw I'll release a destiny weapon mod very soon (today or tommorow)

9. Frost HYdra

Arghh! This is way too hard without making the sprite look big in-game... Anyway, thanks for all the answer guys, really appreciate it! (777JackOfBlades's comment reminded me of a Destiny sprite I made back then so I am just putting it here.)

Attached Files:

10. 777JackOfBlades

This invective sprite look good , did you put it in a mod ?

11. Frost HYdra

I was about to make a mod,but I found out I can't seem to make it work so... No, I haven't used it for a mod.

12. 777JackOfBlades

Need help ?

13. Frost HYdra

Sorry, but I don't really plan on making mods.

14. 777JackOfBlades

I can include your invective in my Destiny weapon pack and credit you if you want , you just have to tell me what effect or stats you want for the weapon , should be easy , I've already created a bunch of weapons already

15. Frost HYdra

Well, I can allow you to use the sprite as long as you credit me but for the effect or stats, you can do anything about it. (Only request I would like is for you to make it a legendary weapon! :) )

16. Frost HYdra

Anyway, here's two more. (Based on some Destiny concept art I saw.)

Attached Files:

17. 777JackOfBlades

Ok , it's the first time I see these weapon , I'll try to do something cool with it, it should be ready this week

18. Frost HYdra

If you need info on these weapons,here they are:
    The Tamed Ahamkara's Fang: https://chigiri16.deviantart.com/art/The-Tamed-Ahamkara-s-Fang-Exotic-Hand-Cannon-548149173
    The Hallowed Dagger: https://cryptarchchris.deviantart.com/art/The-Hallowed-Dagger-Exotic-Scout-Rifle-Concept-694489329

If you need more pixel art, don't hesitate to ask!

19. 777JackOfBlades

Check this I just my made a thread on the forum : https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/destiny-weapon-pack-mod-wip.137275/
    And some of the weapons wight be delayed a bit since my main pc died , and I use it for weapon balance since Starbound is laggy on my laptop