1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help How to do LAN tutorial

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by StarLoverNaz, Dec 19, 2014.

?

How many people found this helpful?

1. I found this helpful :3

45.5%
  2. I did not find this helpful ;-;

54.5%
  1. StarLoverNaz

StarLoverNaz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello and welcome to my thread.
    I'm here to teach you how to do LAN.
    First you need to launch Starbound.
    Then you have to click the button that says 'Launch starbound server'.
    A window should popup so you need to wait for it to finish loading the materials.
    Now launch up starbound and check to see if the window you opened earlier says 'Listening in on [ipv4]*:21025 <---- (that's the default port)

If it says 'shutting down world due to being inactive' it's fine it will start back up when someone joins your IPv4address.
    You cannot join using your IP address instead you have to use 127.0.0.7 password will be either 'duckies' or 'swordfish'.
    Well thank you for reading my guide on how to do LAN. Feel free to ask questions. :3

Also: This WILL work with the Unstable Branch.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  2. ravenvalentine

ravenvalentine Void-Bound Voyager

i have been trying to make a server that only i and my room mate can play on LAN i did as best i can with the portforward but i am not good with all this i tried to log in with my IM and that didnt work so i used the IP 127.0.0.7 and it got me in however i am unsure of what IP they need to use in order to join me

PS: some times we used a router that is not connected to the internet ...any info will help

i did the port forward but i am unsure

3. StarLoverNaz

Raven you don't need to do a port forward you need to have your IP entered for your roomie so incase you (or anyone else) doesn't know how to find your IP here's how to do that.
    1. Right-click the internet bars 2. click 'Open Network and Sharing Center' then under Access type should be your Connections and Wi-Fi (Insert your Network name here). Click your Network name and then a window called Wi-Fi status will appear. After that click details and highlight your Ipv4 address and tell that to roomie/etc. : )

ravenvalentine likes this.
  4. ravenvalentine

oooh right ! omg i am such an idiot i just used my static IP and it worked also~ will try it tomorrow morning with his laptop and see if it works thank you~

StarLoverNaz likes this.
  5. IreG

IreG Space Spelunker

Hamachi must be reccomended ?

6. ravenvalentine

i dont like hamachi is lags the server allot and slows down the connection between user host and others[DOUBLEPOST=1419289698][/DOUBLEPOST]
    i dont like hamachi is lags the server allot and slows down the connection between user host and others

7. StarLoverNaz

There's no need for Hamachi IreG this is LAN :U

8. StarLoverNaz

Any other people needing help can ask at any time. I will start checking this thread every couple days or so.

9. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

- You should be using 127.0.0.1 to connect to your own server, not 127.0.0.7. That address is unusable by IP standards.
    - Others should connect to you via your computer's internal address as found by typining in "ipconfig" in a command prompt on the computer running the server.
    - The port number is unnecessary in this case.
    - Picture guides are far more benefitial than just text. Plus you should try to be clear and descriptive. My difficulty with this "tutorial" was the wording is terrible and difficult to follow. I was only able to understand because I am a networker by profession and already know how to set up such things.

10. Donner_Ziege

Donner_Ziege Space Hobo

So my friend and I had used a hamachi server and clicked start up server and then I just click on start Starbound and we click multiplayer and he types in my ip address and it worked one time... And now it will never work. Says xxx.xxx.xx.xx (iP Address)"10205 or something on my friends screen and he can't join my server but it will let me on. What do I do?

11. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

He needs to use your hamachi IP, the port number may be necessary in this case as hamachi is not exactly the same as a LAN.

12. Donner_Ziege

Donner_Ziege Space Hobo

So how do I set it up for LAN? I just want to Coop I don't care how it get's done.

13. StarLoverNaz

I cleaned it up a bit and I'll fix it more later. Also can you tell me how to put in pictures? I haven't been able to figure that out as this is my first post.[DOUBLEPOST=1429973786][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Try reading the instructions and if you still don't get it wait for me to put in pictures please.[DOUBLEPOST=1429973937][/DOUBLEPOST]Also Donner_Ziege,
    You shouldn't have to use Hamachi.

14. Donner_Ziege

Donner_Ziege Space Hobo

Yeah it doesn't work. Nothing I've tried. And your instructions don't really make sense. No matter what way we try to get on multiplayer it always tells him: Cannot connect to xx.xx.xxx.xxx:21025.

15. Roda913

Roda913 Big Damn Hero

I tried and just an error massages says comes up and says this

Fatal Exception caught: (UniverseServerException) Could not acquire lock for the universe directory
    [0] 7ff7635fb113
    [1] 7ff7635f9e3e
    [2] 7ff763a5a625
    [3] 7ff763a5a024
    [4] 7ff763548038
    [5] 7ff763548c31
    [6] 7ff763d17bf5
    [7] 7fff36117034 BaseThreadInitThunk
    [8] 7fff36962651 RtlUserThreadStart
    Caught at:
    [0] 7ff7635fb113
    [1] 7ff7635fb6d4
    [2] 7ff763d1a753
    [3] 7fff30f61030
    [4] 7fff30f643a8 is_exception_typeof
    [5] 7fff369b1456 RtlCaptureContext2
    [6] 7ff763548c31
    [7] 7ff763d17bf5
    [8] 7fff36117034 BaseThreadInitThunk
    [9] 7fff36962651 RtlUserThreadStart

16. Genevra

Genevra Scruffy Nerf-Herder

if anyone else is seeing this in the future: you cannot run a singleplayer instance while you are hosting your own server.

you MUST start the server before attempting to join in-client, and to join yourself, you MUST enter Multiplayer. Use 127.0.0.1 for the IP, which is localhost meaning your own computer