Modding Help How to re-enable the ship for custom race

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Wakaitsu, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Wakaitsu

Wakaitsu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Greetings!
    My english is horible, so I'll try to make it simple: I need this to be avaliable for them. Anyone knows how to do it?

2. Mineorange

Mineorange Master Chief

hmm....
    1:download both mod. 2.open both mod. 3.XUCorvettev-file have objects-file and ships-file copy that to Avali-Triage-file. 4.open ships-file what is inside of Avali-Triage-file. 5.Delete 5race-file and leave avali-file and novakid-file if you don't want to use XUCorvettev with another race that isn't Avali-race 6.open avali-file and novakid-file 7.copy all things inside of novakid-file to avali-file. 8.delete novakid-file 9.finish is done, now move Avali-Triage-file to mods-file

i guess it works, i don't have time to try myself, before write here.

3. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Copy nothing. What you need is a proper universe_server.config file. It should point the race to the ship's path(whatever their path is).

I see people copying their ships into /human/ and /hylotl/ etc but that isn't necessary. The ship can have its own path, doesn't need copied all over the place. Case in point look at these pieces of JSON from my universe_server.config files

Code:
    [[
        {
          "op" : "test",
          "path" : "/speciesShips/ningen",
          "inverse" : true
        },
        {
          "op" : "add",
          "value" : {}
        }
      ],
      [
        {
          "op" : "replace",
          "value" : [
            "/ships/human/sr_T0.structure",
            "/ships/human/sr_T1.structure",
            "/ships/human/sr_T2.structure",
            "/ships/human/sr_T3.structure",
            "/ships/human/sr_T4.structure",
            "/ships/human/sr_T5.structure",
            "/ships/human/sr_T6.structure",
            "/ships/human/sr_T7.structure",
            "/ships/human/sr_T8.structure",
            "/ships/human/sr_T9.structure",
            "/ships/human/sr_T9.structure"
          ]
        }
      ]]

That's to put "ningen" into the human ship within the shipyard.

Code:
        {
          "path" : "/speciesShips/apex",
            "/ships/vepr/vepr_T0.structure",
            "/ships/vepr/vepr_T1.structure",
            "/ships/vepr/vepr_T2.structure",
            "/ships/vepr/vepr_T3.structure",
            "/ships/vepr/vepr_T3.structure"
          ]
        }
    That's to put the "apex" into the Vepr mod ship. There is less involved here because
    1. The Apex are a vanilla race, so no need to check for/create a path.
    2. This is an older ship without upgrades.

Note that the mod ship doesn't share a path with any race. I haven't copied over the ship into each race. Instead I re-direct the race to where the ship is. Makes more sense and makes for smaller mods.

edit: Highlighing this section
    Lets combine the two to so we can put the Ningen into the Vepr

Code:
      [
        {
        },
        {
        }
      ],
      [
        {
          ]
        }
      ]

It is that simple.

For reference, all those mods(and thus their files) can be found here
    http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/authors/bk3k.395551/
    I recommend to download the shipyard, the shipyard race patches(especially), and the Vepr. So you see examples of all this.

My race support patches are dated - they need many races added that have come out since.
    I probably could put out a race support patch for mod races to use the Vepr ship. But then I intend to add it to the shipyard (which already has that covered).

edit:
    clarified something that didn't make sense.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Cyel likes this.
  4. Wakaitsu

I saw your shipyard mod. Jeeeeez... that place will make my game a pic - completely stationary because of lags. For potato-pc I have =(
    The Vepr is awesome zou. Best custom ship I've ever seen around here... If only there could be a way to use it with lamia race but without the shipyard... or am I asking too much already?

5. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I haven't had such complaints. Except for someone with a light engine mod(too many dark areas cause it trouble).

The actual size doesn't matter much. The images(including blockImage) are optimized. And your ship - when you come down to how they work - is just a world. Only part of it is ever loaded at any one time. IIRC there is no regular world in Starbound smaller than the max shipworld size(4k x 4k). As large as the shipyard is, it doesn't fill that.

I don't think the Shipyard would actually lag for you more than anything else. Try it and see.

You might have more lag(probably not too much) in the Vepr by comparison because of all the animation. But again I optimize the images so that should take the sting out.

Hmm I might make a patch then eventually(to cover many races, not just one).

Also I should make some new screenshots. Really they should be gifs like the original. Or a youtube video or something. I re-direct to the original for screenshots, but I've done some upgrades over what you see there. Some new things too. I put lots of effort into some things, and then when it comes to screen shots etc... I'm like "oh that's too hard" and "I'll do it later." It doesn't make sense and I don't know why I'm so adverse to it.

edit:
    and as for "If only there could be a way" ... in this very thread I provided the way. Substitute "ningen" for whatever custom race name. Done. If you look at my race patches, it is the same thing over and over, but with different race names plugged in.

6. Wakaitsu

Oh, is it so? To be honest, I never had any deal with coding before, and looking at this makes it all Greek to me @ ____ @ Well, gotta start somewhere, right? Guess I should at least try it.

Aaaaaalso, you wanna help with screenshots? I have Vepr instaled and it works cool, won't be a problem for me to make some gifs.

7. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

If you do, that would be great.

8. Wakaitsu

Right, so I'm not very handy when it comes to gif-arts, as I haven't done any before, so no hard feelings for me for this crappy pieces of... you-know-what, ok? ))

So! Full image of the ship as it apears at the very begining of the game:
    VEPR.png

Some gifs with elements animations:
    Printers.gif Safe.gif SAIL.gif

And a VERY CRAPPY one, showing the best (IMHO) option for custom-made ships ^ ^ :
    Beds.gif

Feel free to use (of course) and to ask if you need more :rofl:

bk3k likes this.
  9. Wakaitsu

*compares the original screens with his* Oh geeeeeeeeeeez...
    Forgot to mention that I messed with ship tiles a little... made them flat instead of striped. Just don't like stripes, you know.
    Wanna me to remake the gifs?

10. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

If you would, yes. Not that you're obligated anyhow but I do appreciate it. Otherwise I can use what you have there.

I do notice that first GIF for some reason is running really fast? The rest don't seem to have that problem.

What might also be nice is one showing off jumping into the dome area and sitting down. Bonus points for crew sitting in the chairs at the time(not necessary, but nice).

Maybe that area up front... maybe not because it goes to nowhere. That's an area I cut some aspects from the background, and made foreground(in front of the player). I almost wonder if I should add those foreground things in the little hallway leading to the dome. Might look good.

And I was thinking of making a custom vepr sink(bottom cabinet that matches well) for the bathroom. Makes sense, right? I kinda wanted it to look like a ship someone was actually living in. Vanilla ships of course don't do that, but little details like that help immersion.

Oh also, in case you hadn't put it together yet

Code:
    [
      [
        {
          "path" : "/speciesShips/lamia",
        },
        {
        }
      ],
      [
        {
          ]
        }
      ]
    ]

addition:
    I love the side-mount option(not in original). Sadly the ship layout is a bit inopportune for the side-mount beds and a few other things. I feel alright with some edits, but don't want major, sweeping changes on a ship someone else made. Well the side-mount beds would work good if you built "crew quarters."

And I hadn't thought about that. I didn't make a hatch and platform hatch variant for the doors... no good place to mount them. But if you build "crew quarters", a platform hatch could be useful there.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  11. Wakaitsu

Oh, thanks! I tried, but I guess coding isn't realy my thing ^ ^*
    BTW, why not to make panels flat? IMHO that would give the ship somewhat "cleaner" look and let foreground objects to be more "out of the background" and not melted with it... damn, I'm sooo lacking words right now. Hope you understood.
    Hmmm... Guess I could make some gifs with crew, but I first need to get some aboard. Not used to fly a dorm, you know? )
    As for gif - I have no idea of WHYTHEHELL this thing with speed happens, I tried to give it more delay between frames, but it still gets fast-as-hell right after PS shuts down. For some pics this happens, for other it don't, and no way to figure out why it is so :(

12. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I left the walls the original had. Custom block.

What block are you using? I could try it out, and also I could give you a blockKey file that uses that block instead if you want.

13. Wakaitsu

I just flattened the original sprite :rofl: I may be no good at coding, but I'm kinda handy when it comes to graphics.
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh, one more loooooong and booooooring day at work and I'll finaly get back to sweet home - and Starbound. Just why the time flows so slowly when you're working, and so swiftly when relaxing? Questions, questions...

Damn, I'm sure stupid one... where that part of code for lamias supposed to go? I tried to add it to the server.config of Vepr, but it didn't made any difference

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  14. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

universe_server.config.patch

But that exact text was intended to be it's own complete file, rather than added to the Vepr's own. It would be a little different if appending to the vepr's file. Go ahead and just replace the entire universe_server.config.patch within the Lamia mod.

select all
    delete
    paste

You probably want to restore the vepr version back to original.

I'm not great at graphics. Well I'm better than I was - mostly with editing things. If I have something to start with, I can change it and sometimes end up with something completely new. Or even if not editing something, I need to look at some things. I lack... original artistic inspiration? Dunno.

15. Wakaitsu

We can cooperate then, probably? I draw, you code - and put together, we get a mod

UPD Replaced the server.config of lamias with what you gave, and the game now refuses to launch at all 8\
    Nevermind, got the problem down. I was using extras, that, among the other things, renamed the ship assets.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017