1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How will Starbound be Advertised?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Dynafols, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

Hello everyone, its me Dynafols, bwahahahhaahhahahahha! ----> happy rock :)

Anyways, for today, I am curious and would like to talk about how will Starbound be advertised? The thing that I have noticed as of late, is that a large number of indie games are advertised through the communitys. With Terraria, I saw it through a youtuber called PBat (or something along those lines). It quickly became popular because it carried on with the new "genre" of the collect resources and survive type thing, similiar to minecraft, but Terraria brought with it a large number of other shiny things that would ultimately out-shine the Resource & Survive idea. Plus its amazing (in my opinion).

Aside from PBat, Terraria was also "advertised" by a few others, such as the Yogscast. So the question is, how should Starbound be advertised when it reaches its alpha/beta phase? Should a few select youtubers be the ones who show off the game, or should it be advertised in another way?

Now you may be wondering(probably not), "How does this effect me?", well, think of it like this, if the game is successful, then more content, more community, more videos, more awsome.

So how would you like this game be advertised out into the public? Let the discussion-ish-ness begin!

*As a side note, I wasn't to sure where to put this thread, so I guessed that this would be the best.

2. Polar !

Polar ! Pangalactic Porcupine

It will be advertised LIKE A BOSS!!!
    But to be honest it will probably be a trailer on youtube, then a trailer and front page on steam, aaaaaaand

3. gejiryu

gejiryu Big Damn Hero

TV, radios, Internet, Ballons, cloud words, smoke indian languague, zepellins (made out of led), and finally but not least, with psychic powers.

Exxil3d likes this.
  4. doused

doused Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Steam and good ole word of mouth, god we are such gamepushers.

5. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

Fly to planets, LIKE A BOSS.
    Invade the locals, LIKE A BOSS.
    Make a Burger King, LIKE A BOSS.
    Eat some nachos, LIKE A BOSS.
    Capture penguins, LIKE A BOSS.
    Hit on the nurse, LIKE A BOSS.
    Kill some aliens, LIKE A BOSS.
    Think of what to wear, LIKE A BOSS.
    Be James Bond, LIKE A BOSS.
    Drop a bomb, LIkE A BOSS.
    In the center of the planet, LIKE A BOSS.
    Now you're dead, LIKE A BOSS.

6. Polar !

I stopped there for a sec and was like :eek: and then I was like :rolleyes: but in the end I was like [​IMG] me gusta...

Oh good God, the image is too big, sorry

7. gejiryu

gejiryu Big Damn Hero

The image is fine... the size of the pussy that is creepy :eek:

8. Remnant Drive

Remnant Drive Pangalactic Porcupine

Me gusta segunda.

Advertising will be as per norm:

YouTube by someone famous
    Steam Front Page
    Word-o-mouth
    Foot-in-mouth

etcetera, etcetera.

Polar ! likes this.
  9. Polar !

LOL ! his mouth ?

10. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

I see that and raise you meg:
    [​IMG]

gejiryu likes this.
  11. gejiryu

gejiryu Big Damn Hero

Yup :)

12. Polar !

Hah:) ahah:D ahah:) aha She should advertise Starbound !!

13. Jenkinz

Jenkinz Phantasmal Quasar

[​IMG]
    hahaha you funny ^_^

gejiryu and Polar ! like this.
  14. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves Starship Captain

What in the name of god is going on here.

15. iblob

iblob Big Damn Hero

It shall be advertised by us! And Terraria online =)

16. Ozaku

Ozaku Subatomic Cosmonaut

Steam is a big enough advertising factor, if they are collaborating with them. Other than that, it's just a matter of video let's plays, game reviews and previews.

17. Combine_Kegan

Combine_Kegan Phantasmal Quasar

I'd say a combination of Steam, word of mouth, and good ol youtube.

18. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves Starship Captain

It doesn't really even need that much advertisement, seeing as a lot of players will be coming from Terraria. Though that's not to say that advertisement won't help a lot, which as most have said, will come from Steam, Youtube and the rest of the internet.

19. WelshPixie

WelshPixie Former Staff

The Power of the 'Verse will spread the word. You can't stop the signal, Mal.

20. Cush

Cush Void-Bound Voyager

I think it would be a good idea for them to make a Youtube channel and release a video or two every now and then showing some of the features off. It would start the spread and get people interested.

The other thing is a nice trailer like Terraria's 1.1 trailer, that was pretty sweet and got over a million views. As for the Lets Plays, I guess they would spread the word, even if I have never really seen the point of sitting watching someone else play a game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.