1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Hue-Shifting in Co-op/MP

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Seria-Myouna, May 7, 2013.

1. Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

If two players are playing the same class in Co-op, it would be useful to hue-shift or invert the colors of the other player so they could more easily distinguish between the two.

I'm not sure if you actually *can* play as the same character in Co-op, but this would be useful if you can.

• Bluerooste42

Bluerooste42 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, you can play as the same character. Players 1 & 2 are both commando in this picture.
      [​IMG]

• DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow! Where did you grab this screenshot!?

• Bluerooste42

Bluerooste42 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's off of their Facebook page.
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Risk-of-Rain/525116000841801

Edit - An alternative way of keeping track without hue shifts could be done like Super Smash Bros, where they would be brighter/darker. Maybe a choice between the two? (Some of my friends are slightly colorblind)

Restarter000 likes this.
          • Restarter000

Restarter000 Intergalactic Tourist

Great idea, I am color blind but it's nothing huge, hue changes is a good idea. Choosing your color / hue would be awesome too. Maybe not completely editable colors but presets.

• MisterS42

MisterS42 Void-Bound Voyager

Won't the numbers underneath the players be a better indicator?

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

The numbers are a hard thing to have as your indicator, because when the screen's cluttered or you're on top of each other, it might be hard to spot which number actually belongs to which character.

• MisterS42

Won't that problem still be an issue with different hues?

• Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

If your character was the same general color as your number color, it would be even more apparent. Just saying, every little bit helps.

MisterS42 likes this.
                    • MisterS42

I think that would make sense

• Nixeras

Nixeras Subatomic Cosmonaut

Though the difference may seem small, every little bit counts. I could really see coloring the characters depending on player working great, or perhaps giving players a selection of palettes to choose from. Though of course that boils down to people eventually picking the same palette and then it's confusing again, but at least it's by choice.

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

Well, yes, if two players choose the same colour, it's their fault if they can't make out who's who. Another alternative is that a palette locks out if another player has already chosen it, but that sounds a bit annoying.