1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Hunger & Thirst 1.5

Adds hunger and thirst mechanics

1. Image Not Available

Image Not Available Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah, I found a number of these myself. Apparently I had some typos when copy-pasting all the food patches and since there are over 200 food items it makes it hard to track them all down.

2. greenRAM

greenRAM Giant Laser Beams

Going through them with the .patch tester now. Looks like they'll need to be gone through one by one. Might take awhile. From playing I got a good idea of where the main problems are, so I went ahead and fixed them. A few produce items and the shop items is what I bumped into in-game. Looks like most of the problems were in the "op" : test part of the patches. I'm happy to go through the rest in a few days and upload what I find. Busy now, or I'd be on this sooner.

Edit: Took a break from work and got through dinks, meat, produce, shop, T1, and T2 foods. So far, only the shop items and those couple of produce items are coming up bad.

edit: and done! Found a few more in the t-3 and t-4. I didn't think to take them out as I fixed them, so I'll just send the entire folder. Sorry about that.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  3. greenRAM

Here it is. Hope it helps.

Looks like most of the last few tiers weren't implemented, neither were the "old" out of date foods. Might need to warn everybody about that in case a mod author decides to implements some of those foods that aren't in the vanilla game at the moment and it causes problems.

Attached Files:

4. Image Not Available

You could certainly say that. Even just finding all the faulty patches is a huge help, let alone fixing them. I'll have a look to make sure everything is working correctly and upload an update later.

Regarding T5/6 and old foods, those were left out deliberately. As you said they aren't currently in the game and I don't want to mess with other mods.

5. greenRAM

pineapplejuice
    reefjuice
    reefshake
    tropicalpunch

All of the shop items and... um the green apple and the egg.

I probably left some out, but those are the ones I remember. Had finals today, so my brain feels fried.

6. Image Not Available

Don't worry, I got them all by sorting by last modified.

7. CommanderSalmon

CommanderSalmon Yeah, You!

does it work with other food mods?

8. greenRAM

Seems to work with most mods. Anything that adds food or drinks is going to cause problems, which is a limitation to this system. Mods that change the mechanics of how food works is potentially going to cause problems as well. That is, any other "food" mod will have to be made compatible with this hunger system for this to work. Currently, if you play with a lot of mods it's best to be careful with what you eat in-game.

9. Image Not Available

Depends on what the mod does. Anything that modifies the well fed effect is likely incompatible. Mods that modify other effects or add new effects to vanilla food should be compatible but won't be balanced. Mods that modify other aspects of food (e.g. Better Food Descriptions) should be fully compatible. Mods that add new foods won't cause compatibility issues but will have vanilla behaviour, meaning they don't contribute to hunger and thirst and apply the well fed debuff like normal.

10. Image Not Available

11. Akre

Akre Pangalactic Porcupine

I can't use any food when this mod is running neither in nightly nor in stable version. Even when I use a new character and universe and delete all other mods it still happens.

12. Phantom Miria

Phantom Miria Phantasmal Quasar

Just a suggestion, I really like this mod but after some time it can get quite annoying when you min out thirst or hunger (thirst specially) and you have to either spam click 20~30 drinks to get back to full or drink a couple every min to get rid of the annoying slow. So how about making drinks and foods "auto swing" like weapons? Meaning just hold button down and your char keeps drinking until running out of selected drink or getting full. Another option could be having recipes like "big [drink name]" which takes like ten of the standard version to craft and fills up the total ammount, same for food.

13. tomatelopes

tomatelopes Subatomic Cosmonaut

It's possible to make a DayZ like system for hunger and thrist? Maybe your character can say "I am hungry" "I am starving" "I am thristy" or show it in "%" somewhere?

14. Image Not Available

3-4 items should get you from starving to completely full, if you have to spam 20-30 food items there is something seriously wrong with your game.

Never played DayZ, so I don't know what kind of system they had.

15. tomatelopes

tomatelopes Subatomic Cosmonaut

The character says "I am hungry" "I am starving" "I am thristy", etc. Just that.

16. greenRAM

edit edit: Added a replacement for the wellfed.lua script into the mod and added status.addEphemeralEffect("hungerincrease3") to it to force some hunger "healing" for any food added by other mods. It seems to work. Here's what the file now looks like:

function init()
    script.setUpdateDelta(0)
    status.addEphemeralEffect("hungerincrease3")
    end

function update(dt)
    end

function uninit()

end

This small edit should make the mod more compatible. Previously incompatible foods don't benefit from the new system, but at least they no longer break it. I've starved a few times previously do to eating the wrong thing while I was desperate.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    tomatelopes likes this.
  17. Image Not Available

Back from the hospital and back to this

Problem with co-opting Well Fed is:
    a) it only accepts one increase value. The difference between hungerincrease and hungerincrease2/3 is that they increase by different amounts with certain high tier foods providing more satiation.
    b) as it is set up right now it would require a new blocking effect to replace Well Fed so it would still be incompatible with mod foods using Well Fed as their blocking effect (or those that don't apply it in the first place)

I could use a new effect instead of Well Fed and add a flat satiation amount to it for mod foods to get around a) but that would also mean mod drinks would add to hunger instead of thirst and still run on the vanilla system regarding effect duration and cooldown so hardly an ideal solution either. For that reason I decided to just not touch mod food as I am not a fan of such half-baked solutions.

18. Phantom Miria

My bad about click spam, i guess i was just too annoyed about the slow to wait it out lol.
    Anyway, idk if this is important here but there's a little compatibility issue between this mod and mysterious stars as explained here. I don't suppose there's anything you can do about it so just notifying.

tomatelopes likes this.
  19. Image Not Available

Thanks for pointing this out. It basically comes down to Mysterious Stars using bad form on the patch by adding commands to the the top of the array instead of the bottom, thus breaking any other patches to that file. If you change the patch file to this it should work:

Code:
    [
      {
        "op" : "add",
        "path" : "/actions/-",
        "value" :
        {
          "action" : "PlaySound",
          "sound" : "/sfx/interface/item_equip.wav",
          "loops" : 0
        } 
      }
    ]

20. Phantom Miria

Cool, that works too. Out of curiosity, where did you learn about stuff like this "/actions/-"? Was it from seeing in other game/mod files or a guess based on knowledge unrelated to starbound? Before coming up the "replace by 3" solution, i also tried only changing the mysterious stars path to only this "/actions" or only "/actions/" but those only crashed the game and the tutorials I found on the forum doesn't really contain a lot of info.