Hybrid plants(Stardew)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Blackleaf, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Blackleaf

Blackleaf Oxygen Tank

(There was a thread with the excact same name on the starbound part of the forum. Thus (Stardew)
    Anyone who has played alot of animal crossing will know what im talking about.
    Being able to grow two plants togheter into one hybrid plant whould be a quite interesting game mechanic.
    Now since we dont know much about the farming ingame i cant really post how this whould work.
    But i imagine it could be done in a greenhouse maybe?

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

We did have a topic on this on the Stardew Valley original forum. We discussed giving each of the crops of a sort of "group" so that only those crops could intermix. Groups such as fruits, beans, vegetables, etc, because it would be weird to cross-breed a Pumpkin with a Lima bean for example.

• Solum

Solum Cosmic Narwhal

Wierd, but also hilarious :D
        Stuff like that should be implemented in an update, since it'd take some time to program and design the different combinations and the combinations of the combinations etc. etc.

• MrXIX

MrXIX Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah I brought this up on the old forum, I'm still interested in it. Whether or not it ever gets implemented in the game, I hope someone with the capabilities can make a mod for it :D

• oath2order

I think it'd be relatively simple to program. Give each crop a variable called "group" or something, add something in the seed maker where you insert two crops of the same group, and it creates a new seed, with some sort of values the stamina/health/shipping of both.

For example, an Apple could heal 10 stamina, 20 health, and ship for 100, and a Banana could heal 15 stamina, 5 health, and ship for 150.

A hybrid of that could maybe heal 12.5 stamina, 12.5 health, and ship for 125, if the formula for values was based off averages

The repetition of 125 was not intentional.

• Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

Well, considering you would want the hybrid plant to be better than the 2 (Two) input plants, the stats would probably be more like this (based on the stats above) 20 Stamina, 22.5 Health, and ship for 175-200. This would be more reasonable because you are making a profit, thus making hybrid plants useful and not a waste of time.

• oath2order

Yeah, except you can't have them be too powerful, or else you could make two Apple/Banana hybrids, combine them, and continue making some sort of god-level fruit that heals all your stamina and health, and ships for 100,000 gold.

• MrXIX

MrXIX Void-Bound Voyager

There should also be a considerable amount of difficult in obtaining a hybrid, either some type of pre-requisite or a certain amount of skill, as well as a low percentage of actually obtaining a hybrid seed. I feel that would make it feel a bit more balanced if say an apple/banana hybrid is worth 3x more than your average apple or banana. That's my thought on the matter.

Blackleaf likes this.
                  • Silverduke1

Silverduke1 Giant Laser Beams

Maybe like a gentic mutation line so it would prevent it from becoming to over powered as the plants can only breed so far.

• Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

The simple solution to that is that you can not breed together modified plants, due to their weakened DNA. Doing so will render the plant useless.

MrXIX likes this.
                      • oath2order

Works for me!

• LordFlame

LordFlame Big Damn Hero

I would like it to be complex in a way but simple at the same time like this there would be colour, shape, flavour, size, amount, nutrition,(which is stamina gained)value, growth rate you could also create crossbreeds which are like entirely new species pretty much entirely new species sort of things this would allow breeding between two entirely different groups but could never produce an entirely new species only change stats any in red only

• oath2order

That's....wow. I like it.