Modding Help I can't find any info on this error anywhere...

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Zalerias, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Zalerias

Zalerias Yeah, You!

Alright, just figured out what was up with the build script, I feel like an idiot...

Anyway, "blade" didn't work, changing it back to "sword" made the item spawn properly, but now the alt ability isn't working on it, and the stats are not displayed when I highlight the weapon?

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Something wacky is going on with your end... I have it working perfectly on my end.

And that part should indeed be blade. The weapon graphic doesnt load otherwise. And the alt ability IIRC is tied to it. At the very least, every other weapon does it that way.

I suggest you move that whole mod out of the mods folder and rebuild the sword from scratch so you kno it is working and it is done properly.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  3. Zalerias

Zalerias Yeah, You!

When I set it to blade it turns into a PGI, and I'm not sure if I could rebuild it... just thinking about it is kind of depressing after all the work I put into making it to begin with... it's not like I went into it with a plan, I just threw things together and hoped for the best... x'D

I actually can't find any guides on making melee weapons anywhere, not even outdated ones, let alone weapons with alt abilities... If I had all the vanilla assets needed in a premade pack to put my own images and names on, it would have been so much easier than trying to construct it myself with scraps of information.

4. lazarus78

If it terns to a PGI, then check the log file for the error. If something doesn't work, then always consult the log.

There isn't much info on the activeitems because they are relatively new. You are basically charting territory that requires some reverse engineering.

I think most of your issues stem from having other things that are interfering and causing problems.

5. Zalerias

Zalerias Yeah, You!

I have checked the logs, I just didn't think to share the error.

Code:
    [16:56:59.586] Error: Could not instantiate item '[dragonbuster, 1, {}]'. (MapException) Key 'blade' not found in Map::get()
    I know the ability works in the game though because I've used it, yet it won't work on this weapon for some reason? I am looking through the files to see if there's anything I can use to fix it now.

6. lazarus78

7. Zalerias

Zalerias Yeah, You!

Both of those work perfectly fine, what did you do differently? o.o

8. lazarus78

Basically nothing save for the changes I mentioned at the end of the first page.

Duno what could have gone wrong on your end.

9. Zalerias

Zalerias Yeah, You!

I guess all those other folders weren't needed first of all... but aside from that the only differences are the swoosh folder, and the fact that yours have the build scripts again?

10. lazarus78

I did not include the build scripts. Unless you mean the line in the sword file? That line is necessary.

The swoosh folder isnt necessary, per-se, but does allow the sword to have a swoosh effect. :rofl:

11. Zalerias

Zalerias Yeah, You!

Ah, when you said to take that out I thought you meant the line, I figured the folder was not important and I'd just toss it. x'D

That's probably why mine was broken then I guess?

12. lazarus78

Very possible. That line links the script that brings the whole weapon together. :rofl: Sorry for the confusion.

I meant the mod you gave me contained the actual build scripts, which is not something you want to include.

13. Zalerias

Zalerias Yeah, You!

Welp, friend wants giant sword for their blade, so I have to work on lining the two blades up now... x'D

I made another weapon to see if I could pull it off now, and it worked fine so... Thanks for basically doing all the work for me, I greatly appreciate it. You were very calm and patient with me despite wasting so much of your time as well. x'3

14. lazarus78

Meh. I'm at work, so I got paid to do it.

I'm always happy to help where I can.

15. Zalerias

Zalerias Yeah, You!

Haha! Nice. x'3

Little question, is Trail Dash broken or do I have to do more than just add it to a weapon? When I tested it out, it moved only a little bit, and left no trail, and the sword got locked in place and couldn't be swung.

If I get all these animations figured out I might upload empty templates for people to use in modding, and include a readme on what they need to change to personalize each weapon. There are no up-to-date guides on weapon modding, so I thought it might be appreciated.

16. lazarus78

Well, Im not at work anymore. I'll check it out when I am home.

17. Zalerias

Zalerias Yeah, You!

Thank you, that'd be appreciated. It doesn't leave a trail, or move me more than a couple of blocks, kinda just sputters out, and then I can't attack until I swap weapons. I tried to see if I needed something else, but I couldn't find anything in the assets related to it besides sound effects, which it has I think... getting no log errors either.

And on another note, is there a way to reduce the energy cost on them? I tried editing the original files on the skills and then re-packing them, but it didn't work. Spin Slash and Super Spin Slash are not very impressive when you get like two swings off it, and it doesn't do much damage to top it all off... kind of a let down that alt abilities look so good but you might as well just dual dagger for all the good it does you. x'D