I can't open the gate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by muttlover, Nov 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. muttlover

muttlover Seal Broken

True to real life, I've managed to get myself trapped. I made a fence from the storage boxes and left an opening for a gate. But it won't open. How do I get it to open? Do I need it to be in a wooden fence (which seem to rot out easily?)

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Smack it with the axe or pick to remove it. It has to be between to fence pieces to work.

• Phea

Phea Big Damn Hero

There has to be at least one gate between any kind of fence (hardwood ones are the best). If you click on it, it should open and let you through. If you want to get rid of it, just hit it with your axe/hoe/pickaxe, like Stryder87 said.

• muttlover

muttlover Seal Broken

Thanks! So much for the great fence experiment. But I can make the opening big enough to just need a gate and 2 fence posts and maybe still not need to replace the fence. (Last year I was trapped in my attic for 4 hours for real. Fortunately it was a day I was supposed to be meeting people who eventually came looking for me. I didn't think about there being a cabinet type latch on the door when I closed it behind me to keep a kitten from following me in. Life is an adventure.)

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

You need a fence post on either side of the gate to work properly. You can't put two gates together (like a double door) either. It doesn't work. Only one gate at a time.

• muttlover

muttlover Seal Broken

Thanks. I put a post on either side and it's working beautifully - or it would if certain chickens wouldn't hog the gate and make it hard to open and close.

wronghandle likes this.