1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback I feel the game would be more fun if habitable planets were much rarer

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by muffalo, Dec 26, 2019.

1. muffalo

muffalo Space Hobo

I am a new player - I've been playing for a couple days and love the game so far. Something I've noticed that, while exploring planets is super fun, exploring galaxy is not and is almost discouraged - stars are so fertile that a given system will have almost everything. I think it would be more fun (and realistic) to make stars full of dead rocks with occasional anomalies - some random mining outposts, research stations, pirate hideouts. This way finding a habitable planet will feel like discovering a rare gem you want to appreciate and explore. What do you think?

Ankali, Dante98dzc, MrsGuu and 2 others like this.
  2. Never

Never Pangalactic Porcupine

Balance wise, this is nearly impossible. Since you need to spawn on a lush planet, you'd be in flight for 5 times the amount of time it takes you to find a suitable planet normally if they were 5 times rarer. Make it any rarer than that and just starting the game with a new character would be a chore.

STCW262 likes this.
  3. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

That's not a bad idea. More dangerous places, means less settlement, therefore less friendly NPCs need to protect. A good news for players who usually protect friendly NPCs. It is a very tedious task.

Dante98dzc likes this.
  4. Wa.luigi.time

Wa.luigi.time Subatomic Cosmonaut

It would definitely be more reallistic if barren planets became more common and some new planet types with mines and nothing else started cropping up.
    I doubt the devs will do anything about it though... Starbound has a nice track record of almost never getting polished up a bit...
    There are quite a few aspects of the game that feel lacking in design. I'd like to try and fix some with mods but I'll have to start from scratch since I can only make hats...