I have huge respect for the developers, but i have to agree with this review

Discussion in 'W:R General Discussion' started by Filipfonky, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Filipfonky

Filipfonky Cosmic Narwhal

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Wanderlust_Rebirth/index.html

When i first read it, i didn't believe it. The review looked a bit biased, but when i actually bought and played the game... damn it's quite right.

I suggest you guys to read it all. It's not a hateful review, in fact it points out the great aspects of Wanderlust: Rebirth other than the bad ones.

NewcDukem likes this.
    • FreshSheet

FreshSheet Pangalactic Porcupine

Obviously he's never played on epic and he's dumbing it down way too much. There's also pvp. That review simplifies it too much, do that with any game and it sucks. This review condemns the game without playing it in every way. It's only button mashing when you don't know what you're doing. Go on harder difficulties and button mashing gets you nowhere. The game is supposed to be hard too. So the last boss is supposed to be that hard. The only variation from the Zelda series in comparison is the length and puzzles. The combat is far more exciting to make up for that. Give it a chance. Play it through. The review makes no mention of pvp it crawl so it obviously is only going to its surface. To agree suggests you haven't either, so I encourage you to try it out. Crawl is a majorly fun part of the game, as its spontaneous and increases in difficulty.

LazerEagle1 likes this.
      • Filipfonky

Filipfonky Cosmic Narwhal

There's PvP in this game? How do i access that?

• FreshSheet

Make a lobby with pvp, it's under multiplayer before you join a game. Within pvp there are multiple modes as well.

• d2king10

d2king10 Guest

The thing with WR is that it is one of those games that the longer you play, the better it gets. I would say 90% of the reviews we get of WR are from players who never played past normal mode (usually do not even get past 3 chapters). Most of the time it is because they died too much or simply did not understand what WR was all about. WR is about going back to previous chapters and getting better scores and gear, but some players simply do not want to do that (which is fine), so then they rate the game low because they 50% all the chapters and are getting insta-gibbed.

I also think one of the major reasons some players dislike the game is because they were expecting something completely different. We will be hopefully addressing these concerns in WA, and improving on a bunch of things.

I do find it funny that these reviews that just flat out say WR sucks ALWAYS fail to mention all of the content that is in the game. They don't mention the 44 unique enemies (not counting the 15 unique bosses), all which play differently and require different strategies. Even AAA titles to this day can't spout those numbers, I remember playing GW2 and I was around level 50 and STILL fighting the same worms from level 1. They also never mention how the 4 classes synergize completely, and complement each other with their skills and soul charges. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying these reviews do not contain some merit, because some of what they say is true, but a lot of it is them getting frustrated with the difficulty of the game and then going on the forums and writing bad reviews. We have SEVERAL players who easily have over 200+ hours playing the game. You either love it, or hate it, WR is just one of those games.

Kexy Knave, Echo, NewcDukem and 12 others like this.
            • Septavius

Septavius Title Not Found

I regret buying this game.

Dustin, Ado, Sizzle and 4 others like this.
              • d2king10

d2king10 Guest

I am sorry you feel that way, like I said, players either love it or hate it.

The new wanderlust will be more what players expected rebirth to be.

Kexy Knave, Ado, warcore and 5 others like this.
                • I have to admit, Wanderlust is an extremely unique game. I did not expect anything it offered me, which was really surprising.

I'm also surprised how it's technically a multiplayer game, but with a single player option [Most of the time you'd actually need people rather than bots]. You don't see a lot of games done that way.

And personally, that's what made me like the game.

Echo, Solum, tassina and 6 others like this.
                  • Leth

Leth Risk of Rain & Wanderlust

"Wanderlust: Adventures" takes place in the same world as "Wanderlust: Rebirth" but little else will be the same.

We are completely aware of how Rebirth was a disappointment to gamers who expected a co-op Zelda or online Secret of Mana. You'll be happy to know that we're focusing on making the next Wanderlust an online, co-op adventure game (unlike its "arcade-ish" predecessor). "Skilled Play" will impact the game, but it will no longer be the sole determining factor in how well your character progresses. Additionally, the non-linear nature of the world enables you to play the game however you want; using twitch-skills to take on the most difficult dungeons... or conversely just enjoying exploration with some random events and quests along the way to spice things up.

naithaan, Echo, Draken09 and 7 others like this.
                    • GendR

GendR Void-Bound Voyager

Is the next Wanderlust Online in production currently? I remember when Wanderlust was a Gamemaker game, years upon years ago.

• Leth

Which Wanderlust are you referring to?
                        • Wanderlust: The Online Adventure was never completed (started in late 2004 I believe).
                        • Wanderlust: Rebirth is currently available.
                        • Wanderlust: Adventures is in production right now (still in alpha stages).
                        They are all made with Game Maker. =D

Blackleaf and LazerEagle1 like this.
                        • ziberoo

ziberoo Spaceman Spiff

Personally I would never compare Wanderlust Rebirth to Zelda.
                          They are completely different games.
                          Wanderlust is an old-fashioned rpg with an old-fashioned rpg story(I think was touted as negative in the review?) and an absolutely awesome class system.
                          Zelda is a puzzle game. Everything is a puzzle from the puzzles to finding stuff to beating the dungeons to killing beasties. It's a puzzle adventure rpg.

Leth and Duke like this.
                          • QuaziPance

QuaziPance Subatomic Cosmonaut

I agree. And I think that the one thing I would have liked to see different in this game is that the first few chapters should have more engaging, and more fun. I have no idea how this would have been possible (probably it wasn't, or you would have done it). But honestly if you pick the game up, take away any love you have for the game, and just play the very first chapter on normal by yourself, then the game is boring. Again, this is because the game gets better with time, and with the number of people you are playing it with. So 20 hours later if you are playing with a full group it is incredibly fun. The problem is that this is not a great model for getting new players. I admit that I bought WR just to support chucklefish, I didn't even install it at first. When I did finally play it on a whim it was boring. I then watched other people play, and realized that it wasn't boring, just that I was playing it wrong, and that the beginning is actually kind of boring (especially on your own).

It's cool that you are trying something different with the next game. It's also really cool that you are so active on the forums and that you advocate for your creation. It really says a lot. One thing that I hope to see in the new game is that it can capture the essence within the first 20 minutes. Because honestly, there are now literally hundreds of great indie games coming out yearly, and if you can't capture your audience in the first 20 minutes, they are likely going to play the next in their que of 1000 games. It sucks that this is true, because some games simply aren't fun until you've played them for a long time. An extreme example would be chess, which is pretty boring until you've played for many many hours, and is very boring if you are playing by yourself.

Draken09 likes this.
                            • HappyVader

HappyVader Big Damn Hero

I know I haven't done this game justice in playing it through normal. However, I have to say that sitting down and expecting to play it for an hour on a Saturday morning, turned into retiring for the night after a 10 hour session of playing. Honestly, for me, I think that "surprising" really fits WR well. Where almost any game screams out its uniqueness, WR is a very humble and self-assured gem in all of its subtlety. Subtlety was the key for me, in only BEGINNING to peel off the layers and realizing that there was an unexpectedly greater depth each time.

I haven't gone back to it in a few months, but I feel content with at least feeling like I saw a fraction of the beauty behind this game's designs and the sensation that I was just beginning to see WR's essence and get what it was about. Well done.

Stylµs, supasammy and Leth like this.
                              • Leth

This is one of the most eloquently written and poignant remarks I have read about our game. Incredible! :notworthy:

Thank you so much! And if it's been a while, you might give WR another shot; we've made a lot of subtle (and not so subtle) balancing alterations to help ease users into Epic Mode - where we believe the co-op game shines brightest.

HappyVader likes this.
                                • boon

boon Space Hobo

I regretted purchasing the game from GamersGate, because a week later, it was being practically given away in a bundle. The game is OK, nothing I was excited about, but not bad. I just wish games weren't thrown out so quickly and actually retained their monetary value for a decent amount of time.

• FreshSheet

Is "thrown out so quickly" a suggestion that this was put together hastily? Because the game took over 5 years to make... And for the sales, the point of the sale is to get people buying it, so that they tell their friends who will hopefully buy it and play it as well. Then if they really like it, then when the sale is over they'll still be telling people about it and then you get a buying spike. It has nothing to do with the game being worth less money now, just a technique to boost popularity.
                                    You should try going deeper into the game. Play all the classes. Beat epic. Get good gear. Literally everyone who has done that says the game is amazing, and those who scratch the surface say it's horrible or not great. Give it a chance and play through its entirety.

demanrisu, CookieEpic and Leth like this.
                                    • DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

I think boon only meant that it seems like Indie games, even decent or great ones, tend to loose value really fast. Even with sales, there comes a time when most Indie gamers who are interested have already bought it, so even with lower prices your sales don't go up much. I have a cousin in particular who only buys games when they are under $5. I suspect that's what was meant by "thrown out so quickly", as in they are discarded or neglected by the gaming community after the novelty has worn off.

I'm not saying the game isn't great, but obviously anyone who is still playing a game after 50+ hours is going to say it is amazing. Chess is actually a solid example. It is a game that does have a great degree of depth, but the only people who really love it are the ones who play it a lot. That doesn't mean Chess is for everyone, especially people who don't like to plan ahead and weigh their options. In the case of Wanderlust: Rebirth in particular, it is not a game that suits casual gamers who aren't interested in 100% completion, speed running, or competitive PvP. That alone makes it "less good", because a "perfect" game, one that deserves a 10/10 review score, has to be fun for almost any kind of player.

Of course, reviewers shouldn't comment on the overall quality of the whole game until they've actually viewed all of the content. In particular, the music scores for most RPGs tend to be lower than they should be because of reviewers who only play the first half of the game. In longer games with strong story progression, the best tracks are usually in the second half of the game.

• FreshSheet

Actually, for people who go and play epic they all love it. I play epic with quite a few rather new people, ones who haven't beaten normal even at all. Every single one of those people fall in love with the game. It's not that the game is bad or takes dedication to the game to become fun. All it takes is one person being helpful and showing them why the game is as good as it is. People just give up after hard where they can seemingly no longer beat anything because they don't know what they're doing and they blame the game for that.

• DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

So you're saying that just any casual gamer can pick up the game and play on epic mode with a group of other casuals they've never met and instantly fall in love with the game? If that is so, then why even have the other modes? You could cut out the weaker areas of the game and only keep the parts that make it the most fun, in which case all of the reviewers would see it for what it's real value is.

The fact is, the game simply isn't a 10/10 because there are weak areas of the game. Just because one part of the game may be 10/10, doesn't mean the whole picture is. Saying "this mode" or "that mode" is the only part that should count towards the review, or should count for dramatically more than the others... well, it's like gerrymandering.

Besides, if it takes someone to show you what makes a game good, there is probably a design flaw.

Anyway, it's a silly thing to argue over. I've played Epic and enjoyed it, but I still have had more fun with other games.

Toady and WhiteMousse like this.