1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Digital "I just need to hone my skills"(LEARNING THREAD+ART DUELS)

Discussion in 'Art' started by CondescendedWow, Oct 18, 2015.

?

Are you gonna try to learn from this thread too?

1. OF COURSE! When in art you're always learning.

31 vote(s)
    47.7%
  2. We'll see, I'm pretty well rounded.

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  3. Hahahahah. Yes. I'm pretty bad.

14 vote(s)
    21.5%
  4. No thanks, just checking the thread out.

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Nope, I don't want to be cocky or anything but I'm pretty good.

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. CondescendedWow

CondescendedWow Supernova

:fireball:?

camerox likes this.
  2. ZAYABUCKET

ZAYABUCKET Spaceman Spiff

[​IMG]

camerox and CondescendedWow like this.
  3. CondescendedWow

CondescendedWow Supernova

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

camerox and ZAYABUCKET like this.
  4. yuzhong

yuzhong Mop

I use SAI a lot now with my xp-pen artist 12 pro drawing pad after trying the demo out. It's a really light sketching program designed for tablets and has replaced Sketchbook/Open Canvas for me. I think the linework you can produce with it is superior to that of any other program I've tried and I also find it blends colours really well. You can also create vector layers too and it supports the .PSD format.

5. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Woah, dude... I never knew this thread was exist.

6. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

Oh hey, I remember this thread! Had a lot of good times. Also now realizing I was really bad at giving critique in high school.

But hey, in the spirit of dragging old threads kicking and screaming back into the sunlight, I think I might go ahead and challenge @Moor Al-Malik to an art duel. Probably gonna be more informal than how these used to run (can't imagine many folks are still around to vote on it), but would be fun to see how we'd both try and draw a similar idea. What do you say?

7. Daikon Ocelot

I guess, I could try. But probably traditionally, if you want it to be quick. If no, I could do digitally, but it would take a lot of time for me to finish.

Anyway, this kind of thing makes me remember of the thing I usually do with my friend when we were in high school. Drawing challenge, like draw cute girl, draw OC's sidekick, etc. I always lose when it comes to draw scary things, he said "man, how can make a pocong (a ghost of our local creepy pasta, you can try to google it) look so cute?" then I said, "I don't know, man. I am really bad at it you know." But we never decide who wins, we just said, "let's improve ourselves!"

We have our motto "let's draw like a pro draws, even though we are really suck at drawing. Now let's open YouTube!" YouTube were our art teacher, not our art teacher. Hah... those were our good old days, and now it's gone.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  8. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

Sweet! Well, I want it to be something that's easy for you, so let's make it traditional (I need to draw on paper more anyways). For subject matter, I want to go off of what you were saying about you and your friends in school and have us both draw a traditionally creepy or scary monster/character/entity/whatever, except make it cute.

And yeah, I think it's not so much about seeing who's the better artist, and more about having fun, trying new things, and improving our skills. I know I've taken some professional classes, and while classes have a lot of benefits you can't get elsewhere, I definitely agree that it's sometimes fastest to learn what you want to know by looking it up online and just trying it out.

Anywho, I look forward to "dueling" with you! For clarity, here's my challenge laid out more clearly:

Drawing Medium: Traditional (pencil or pen on paper)
    Drawing Subject: A creepy character or monster
    Drawing Style: Cute

As soon as you confirm the challenge, I'll get started on my end. Good luck!

9. Daikon Ocelot

Sounds good to me! I hope there is a little time between my almost no free time everyday schedule. Just need to squeeze it a bit.