1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback I made 30,000 Pixel working at home, here's how

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Lichen, Aug 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Lichen

Lichen Big Damn Hero

Hey, guess what this is Lichen i finally came back to Starbound after being supposedly in a cryogenic sleep, and i really need something to distract me until the release of no man sky , and if there is any Owls who doesn't know me yet, here's a short description of me:
    • An Idiot

Goofs aside I actually came back to play starbound again as it's 1.0 version an I can say that not only it's awesome as hell, the game had actually gotten a significant improvement over the course of months I say this is gotta be something I personally Love-Hate relationship with the changes that has been made.

As someone who barely followed any of the lore of starbound and never had i ever read any of the passionately handcrafted codex up until now I gotta come up with a summary for this to become a legitimate review, so here is something i totally did not make up.

//SPOILER AHEAD// if you haven't finished the story which would only take you an afternoon to finish

So you start as a graduate from the protectorate, the protectorate itself is some kind of space police gifted with the most dangerous tool that you are gonna use to destroy native's home and to colorise your entire castle pink. But suddenly things gone wrong when your senpai got attacked by a giant meteoric tentacular lovecraftian horror (Drugs are bad Mkay). So everyone left the earth and you just SUPER CONVENIENTLY escaped with a ship and pet that matches your racial background.

After raiding an abandoned mines, you encountered an ancient gate that is littered everywhere trough the galaxy that somehow only allows one way travel, there you met Professor X *COUGH i mean Esther who told you about a way to destroy the tentacle that require you to open a gate locked away with key's that is given to many separate race, Except the nova kids, because they all have alzheimer's (Tiy please tell me the name of the stuff you were smoking) asked you to do an intricate series of mission of scanning people's belonging and stealing from a hunting ground, museum, fortress, political infrastructure and sacred temple. only after that you get to open the gate and fight a boss with an obvious weakspot. and you win the game, that's it

That is if you chose the story part of not the Starbound Valley part of the game where you can be rich enough to skip the entire game trough buying a counterfeit license, the trick is easy: only plant bracken tree and sell the silk. boring right, at least the game won't force you to gift someone salad until they want to marry you.

//END OF SPOILER//

Now comes the review of the game

This Good thing about the current game
    • Progression is less constrained to doing trashy chores in the outpost like finding a rubberduck or listening to someone's poem
    • Upgradable workbench
    • The new tech system
    • The crew system is kinda great, since you get to invite your gangs of odd looking people to your ship
    • No more composite ingots which gives the classic feeling I long for
    • More story character like the space grandma, fat bird, and a fish with glasses
    • Starbound Valley
    • Archeology
    • Assassination Sidequest that can be solved quickly with some dirt and lava
    NOW HERE COME THE COMPLIANTS
    • Absolutely boring without frackin universe
    • They deleted short range teleportation :(
    • RIP character development
    • Awkward dialogues, so many of them
    If i can have just one small feed back to you guys, please make the story more optional and let some progress without doing quest.

No matter what end up becoming of starbound, I'll respect any designer's decision and love the game.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Wazamaga likes this.
  2. Lichen

Lichen Big Damn Hero

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

4. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

5. DukeLebowski

DukeLebowski Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Glad to see the goof is still alive.

In my time, you asked people to marry them after hugging them 64 times and telling jokes. No salad shenanigans