Modding Help I need help modding my hair sprites into Starbound.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Muntaqueenie, May 2, 2018.

1. Muntaqueenie

Muntaqueenie Void-Bound Voyager

/Frustrated./
    I have made/drawn a lot of hair sprites for Starbound and really want to get it into the game for this thing me and my friends are gonna do over the summer vacations, my mod has other things as well but the hair is all I need help with for now, I have scoured the internet and to no avail on how to do it.
    /End./

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  2. Errors4l

Errors4l Spaceman Spiff

Take an existing mod and look at the code, there's a lot you can learn from it.
    I haven't done any of this myself but it should work. Apologies in advance if I've missed a step.

Adding hair styles
    Place your hair sprites in yourMod/humanoid/<species>/hair/

Make sure:
    • Your sprites use the same sprite sheet as vanilla hair styles (you can ignore the climb frame because it's not used by the game).
    • You're using the same colors as used by the vanilla hair styles. This'll make the existing color hair color options work.
    • Your file names are unique. Prefix them with something relevant to your or your mod name, such as `munta`.
    Template:
    [​IMG]

For example, your first file could be: Starbound/mods/MuntaHairPack/humanoid/human/hair/munta1.png

Making hair styles selectable
    Patch the species file in /yourMod/species/<species>.species
    For example, for the human species your file would be /Starbound/mods/MuntaHairPack/species/human.species.patch

Make sure:
    • Your file name matches human.species.patch (or a different species in lowercase).
    • The hair names match the hair file name without the extension.
    Patch file for one hair style:
    Code:
    [
      {
        "op": "add",
        "path": "/genders/0/hair/-",
        "value": "munta1"
      }
    ]

Patch file for multiple hair styles (basically repeating the same, but make sure all objects have a trailing comma except for the last object).
    Code:
    [
      {
        "path": "/genders/0/hair/-",
        "value": "munta1"
      },
      {
        "path": "/genders/1/hair/-",
        "value": "munta2"
      }
    ]

The number after the gender indicates what gender the hair style should be available to. 0 for male, 1 for female (some species added by mods may break this convention).

Muntaqueenie and DrPvtSkittles like this.
  3. Muntaqueenie

Muntaqueenie Void-Bound Voyager

/Grateful./
    Amazing reply, I expected someone to thrash me as a noob or such, but this was extraordinarily kind and in-depth for a common post such as this. Thanks a lot kinda Sir/lady !!!
    /And they lived happily ever after./

4. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

Nope! Starbound modding community is great. The worst i've seen on here is people asking that you don't necro threads from 3 years ago lol.