1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

I want to build a planet-wide city!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by aozgolo, Jan 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aozgolo

aozgolo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

One of the cool sci-fi tropes that I feel is really missing from Starbound are the cool planet-spanning cities, the huge metropolises full of sky scrapers, seedy underbellies, and tons of varied and interesting characters. It's especially glaring since we have evidence of these existing (Ruined Planets) but none in their glory and prime. So I want to do the annoyingly difficult and time consuming process of creating my own. I figure before I really get started with such a huge project though I'd get some feedback, suggestions, and advice from the community.

The biggest issue is figuring out: What kind of planet do I build on? Barren would be easiest, Toxic or Ruined would provide probably the best backgrounds, but there's something to be said for many of the others as well I'm sure. I'm leaning towards a 3,000 - 4,000 size planet, just to keep it manageable.

Another big issue is... what do I fill this city with? I kind of like using the Hylotl Underwater Cities as inspiration since they seem varied and are basically already in a sky-scraper type of set up, but I certainly don't want to have the world feel too repetitious. I may make like different sectors for the different races with varying themes but I want all of it to have a very futuristic city look so it may be interesting trying to figure out how to do Novakid or Glitch areas without making them too medieval or rustic. Then of course there's tenants, I have a feeling I'll have to make liberal use of the colony system.

Also I've read that large bases tend to get very laggy. Is this due to the number of NPCs? Is it tied more into the game or your system specs? Just curious of ways I could design it big and look big without making the planet run at 5 FPS.

Any thoughts or advice welcome.

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

For planet type, a small barren world would be ideal. No dungeons or settlements to bulldoze, that way. But no matter what you choose, prepare to do a lot of landscaping if you want to start with a flat surface. And if you're going to terraform it to change the background, do so before building. Terraforming a planet while structures are present causes grass and plants to grow in odd places, so you wouldn't want to have that if you've just spent dozens of hours building a now overgrown city.

For filling the city, I'd suggest looking to the wiki to see what sorts of items are in the game for inspiration. Arcade machines can be used to make an arcade, paintings and sculptures can make an art gallery, themed furniture can make restaurants, etc. I like to think about amenities for my colonists, so I try and include farms, medical facilities, generators and control centers in my more advanced colonies. Even parks and green space can help get rid of excess space.

And too many NPCs can cause lag, yes. So, perhaps go easy on the tenants in any one area. Don't go having 20 in a single district when half that (or less) will do.

3. Albirei

Albirei Phantasmal Quasar

Ah, that would explain my own problem on one of my planets. I made a big city-tower that goes high enough to leave the atmosphere. And there are about 14 tenants PER FLOOR. It functions... but screen loading can be quite laggy. Oops.

4. Mariel141

Mariel141 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm gonna put a vote in for the toxic planet. I had avoided them because of, y'know, flesh-melting rain and all, but then decided that it would be a cool place for a secret Apex laboratory. It was a little annoying to constantly refresh my poison antidote, but I kind of came to love the biome. 1) It's gorgeous, especially when the sun is just starting to rise, and 2) it has some of the prettiest music in the game. If I was gonna do a big city planet, I'd go toxic ocean for sure.

5. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

For your information, Poison Resist augment completely negates damage from acid rain and poison.

6. Starbrow

Starbrow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm working on a planet-wide Floran village at the moment. And devouring all non-Florans. On and off the planet. Much fun, LOTS of work, though. While I was gathering materials from asteroids above the moon's surface... along came a small meteor - BOOM, 400 damage and allll my items exploded into a huge, mile-high mess. I had to go build a sky tower just to reach them, since they were so far from the surface they wouldn't fall on their own.

7. aozgolo

aozgolo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks for the advice everyone. I did check out a Toxic Planet, and I absolutely love the background for a city-planet, but not too keen on the poison ocean, I know I can build over it but this seems an even more monumental job than flattening terrain.

Just curious, is there a Toxic Planet Terraformer I could use on a Barren Planet?

8. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

Based on what the wiki shows, that doesnt seem to be an option: http://starbounder.org/Terraforming
    Other ocean-type biomes dont seem to be included either.

9. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

There isn't, but writing a hack for it is trivial.
    toxic1.png

Albeit I have to warn that background becomes kind of trippy when below where waterline would have been
    toxic2.png

10. Mariel141

Mariel141 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Weird! But also kind of cool. I guess I never really realized that the poison was part of the background image and not separate from it. I imagine it's the same on other planets. Could make it possible to do a very cool under-lava-themed build without all the, y'know, all the burning to death and stuff.

11. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

There's a mod on the Steam Workshop called "citybound" which replaces the default background of lush worlds with a really cool futuristic cityscape. It'd look a lot better than a city on a toxic planet, and it'd also be a lot safer for you and your tenants.

12. T0ASTY

T0ASTY Aquatic Astronaut

I think you should do it in the flattest 3000 sector lush-snow planet you find. You could also do it in a barren planet but i think it feels too lonely there. Anyway, I don't think the biome matters too much. Just make sure you're on a low tier(tier 1,2,3,4) and pretty flat planet before building. Also, you can make it look like the protectorate base. Put cultural buildings and make sure every room's owner has their own race's cultural design in their room/building. Other than that, just use your creativity! You will work a lot and need a lot of materials so give yourself a reason to stay determined! Good luck, hope you can make it!

13. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

If you are still looking for more building styles, Outpost buildings on snow worlds or the main outpost itself may work (Just be ready to make a lot of concrete), or emulate the style of buildings found on the toxic worlds if your are constructing things there, or try to think of a style that might look good on that planet type.

I may not be making city planets myself, but I am building themed fishing huts for each of the four ocean world types, a beach hut style for normal ocean worlds (Mostly wicker and bamboo), industrial large crate for toxic (iron blocks and girders), outpost styled structure for frozen oceans (Uses the same blocks as outpost buildings), and I plan a stone fort for magma worlds (based on Glitch castles and Fortresses). I will post images of my buildings once I have all four finished.

14. ExplorerRowan

ExplorerRowan Aquatic Astronaut

That's a really ambitious project, to build city over an entire planet. And if you populate it with enough colonists to make it feel like a crowded city planet, that's going to be very laggy.

Also, the background on Scorched planets might also work, if you can figure out a way to deal with the weather effects.

izzykuroneko likes this.
  15. Teho

Teho Space Spelunker

1: Lag only happens when a large number of sprites are within about 40 blocks from a player.
    2: Barren planets are the best for building, if you need it flat, use /spawnitem superfishaxe

So don't worry about lag unless they live in closets.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2020
  16. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

This thread is almost 3 years old. The OP hasn't been on in over a year. Necro posts are only allowed if you remain on topic and the topic is still relevant. In addition, double posting is frowned upon. Use the edit function or wait for someone else to reply first.

Going to lock this one up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.