1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

I wanted to know something of the Novakids. (lore wise)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Vynellin, May 31, 2017.

1. Vynellin

Vynellin Void-Bound Voyager

Does anyone know how long a Nova kid could live? I am thinking its either super long cause of the fact they are pretty much a dead star or extermly short cause of the fact they are made out of pure gas.

2. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

As far as I know, there's never been any official information on how long any of the Starbound races live.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  3. Tlactl

Tlactl Scruffy Nerf-Herder

im gonna assume that since its (apparently) the future, medical advances and things like that mean that anyone can live longer than the longest living humans today

4. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Medical advances for humans wouldn't necessarily translate to medical advances for other races. So, yeah humans probably live longer in the future but the same can't be said of other races.

On the topic of novakids, I assume they live for very long amounts of time, if we go by how stars work. The novakids are pretty small so they don't burn up their fuel very fast meaning they could theoretically live for billions of years.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  5. Tlactl

Actually the smallest stars are supposed to live for trillions of years so who knows how long the Novakids will last

Pangaea likes this.
  6. Vynellin

Vynellin Void-Bound Voyager

Well thats a interesting idea having Novakids last over trillions of years.

7. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Trillions is probably a bit of an overestimate, since novakids clearly burn more than humans. Fun fact, humans are more efficient than the sun when it comes to producing light. It's the sun's size and mass that let it burn so brightly. Given novakids size, they're clearly using up a lot of energy relative to their body mass. So I would imagine that Novakids are at most slightly longer lived than humans, if not quite a bit shorter, but that's not really informative since we have no idea how far medical technology has advanced by the 500+ years in the future Starbound takes place. I would say that humans are probably at least capable of living for two centuries, given the massive boost in population to draw research from compared to the modern day (there's a more than 6-fold increase in population due to first contact and the preexisting knowledge of several species to draw from, so I imagine medical science progressed much quicker after first contact), and the fact that we're coming up to the point where humans regularly live for a century right about now.

8. Tlactl

What we were saying would only work if Novakids were the equivalent of miniature stars that somehow could fuse hydrogen and follow all the rules a star does. Huge stars only last thousands or millions of years. Stars like Earth's sun last billions, and no red dwarf has ever burned out so far.

9. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yes, but if they follow the rules of a star, to glow as brightly as they do (about flame-level, according to npcs), they'd have to have incredibly short lifespans, because of the fact that they'd only have a small fraction the size of stars.

10. Tlactl

Maybe they can fuse elements all the way up to iron like normal stars do and when they breathe or eat they get more atoms to fuse.

11. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Assuming they use hydrogen as fuel, they'd ironically need to drink more than any other race. But then again, they're
    fragments of the Cultivator, and the Cultivator seems to run on space magic, so for all we know they naturally mess with quantum heat fluctuations and don't give a damn about the laws of thermodynamics, making them the only race for which survival mode is probably less accurate than casual mode.

Shaggyd0g and STCW262 like this.
  12. Tlactl

I just looked some stuff up. According to a bunch of different sources, 1 gram of hydrogen can make 500 megawatts of power. Assuming they weigh the same as humans, their average weight is 137 pounds which is 62142 grams. That times 500 is about 31 million megawatts just from one body's worth of hydrogen. To burn at flame level they only need to use a tiny amount of that each second. Even if they run out they basically have an unlimited supply of atoms from their surroundings

13. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Huh, guess I was overestimating. Also, watts is joule per second, which is not the right unit. 6.2*10^18 joule is what you'd get from human body weight. Not sure how many watts a flame uses up, or what the surface area of a flame would be or how you'd measure it. But assuming they have about 100 times as much surface area as a lamp bulb and the relative light levels and efficiency work out, they'd need about 60*100=6000 watts. So they could live for about 32745057 years, which, given that humans replace 98% of their body in a year, is pretty sustainable.

14. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Assuming they don't rupture themselves by accident, of course. Which, given their nature...

(I headcanon the same general thing with Floran. Their upper age limit is unknown simply because they almost invariably die from violence within a mere few decades.)

15. Tlactl

I have no idea how florans reproduce, but if they can

reproduce by budding like some species of plants can, each individual floral can technically live forever so long as they keep on budding

16. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I figure florans are more like a sort of hyper-adaptive lichen, in that they have a fungal core and as they grow up they take in several species of plants to perform various functions of their bodies, thereby explaining the massive variance in Floran foliage. And also explaining why their interactions with Agarans are awkward, since it'd be like watching a skinless baby the size of a full-grown adult gesture at you with a sword for them. Admittedly, since they're not actually plants or fungi or at all related to anything on earth, I have my doubts that any of it reflects on their life cycle at all. Based on codexes, I think Florans just grow new florans on their own. I also like to think they don't have a natural limit to their lifespan, and like many trees, can only die due to injuries/disease or combinations of such factors.

Of course, depending on how respawning works, this might not be relevant in the slightest. For all we know, respawning can be used to get an effectively unlimited lifespan with no hard cap.

17. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

[​IMG]
    This is canon

STCW262 likes this.
  18. Tlactl

Oh geez

19. smallblock280

smallblock280 Space Spelunker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. smallblock280

smallblock280 Space Spelunker

so probably for the fact that nova kids age pure gas,they technacly wouldn't be alive at all...but in the more si-fi world,they would live around a few...hundred million years...strs are created when a lot of pressure is placed down on gassed like helium causing them to break down and fuse together to make heavier elements thus creating nuclear reactions that fuel our sun and all the stars out i the univurse...one problem though is that the nova kids are extremely small compared to stars...very small...so that would mean that they have been compressed over the millions of years to be that small from the creation of heavier elements causing the gravitational pull to increase exponentially...so i would say over the time that it would take for that to happen,just an average size
    novakid would be at least a billion years old...and aswell with sutch compression,they would all be black holes and a huge amount of power,and radiation that would kill us all if we get ever the slightest near to them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk