Modding Help I would LOVE to create a Starbound Race Mod, but I don't know how

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by reusedcolours, Aug 1, 2016.

1. reusedcolours

reusedcolours Space Spelunker

The title pretty much explains everything. I really want to create a Race Mod, and I can do textures. Though I do have to admit. I am 100% not a coder.. Can someone tell me what to do? I want to create a Race Mod for Starbound 1.0, but I do need help.

i really need to know the software that can help me make the mod as well

Can any of you spare your time and help me? Thanks in response!

2. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

Coding isn't hard for race-making, it's less doing stuff from scratch and more replacing things as you go. As long as you can sprite and know how to follow instructions, you're set.
    You'll need Notepad++ to make things, as well as a pixeling program that allows for transparent PNGs.

Overall, I would recommend this guide. It's a little wordy and messy, but if you take the time to understand what you're being told, it's not bad.

http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/getting-you-started-on-your-first-custom-species.96422/

3. reusedcolours

reusedcolours Space Spelunker

Would that tutorial be out of date or no?

4. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

I wouldn't say it's out of date at all when it comes to overall instruction on how to rig up sprites and resources like the species.config and other stuff like that. I've been using it for reference while working on my own custom race over the past few days.

5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Even if a tutorial is slightly outdated, they are still valid because they teach concepts. Working with json hasn't really changed.