Ice Planets - My Ideas

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Red Space Monkey, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Red Space Monkey

Red Space Monkey Phantasmal Quasar

------- ICE PLANETS -------
    In this thread I want to present some ideas for the appearance and the overall features of worlds with low temperature and high precipitation.
    --- Stationary Heat-Emitter (Tool) ---
    These handy tools can be placed on the ground to produce a certain amount of heat to make the snow or ice surrounding the device melt. Animals that inhabit an ice planet and are used to their frosty home, will stay away from this area, except for bigger predators or beings that you are already in trouble with.
    --- Winter Shard (Plant) ---
    The Winter Shard is a pretty common occurrence on cold planets. It's a flower that has blossoms which are engulfed in crystalline ice, sharp as a razor blade. Combining them with other objects could create some sort of effective melee weapon like a sword or an axe. They could also be used as ammunition for a specialized weapon, causing an enemy to be wounded over a certain time.​
    --- Everglow (Plant) ---
    Pretty unusual is the defense tactic of this fellow. If something gets too close to this plant, the blossom will start to produce intense heat. Any animal will run past and than proceed to walk normally again. Trying to pick it up will end painful. Wearing special gloves or destroying the ground underneath it will do the trick. It could come in handy for several recipes involving hot fluid.​
    --- Icicle Lurker (Animal) ---
    Icicle Lurkers are small animals that created a rather devious way of hunting for food. They claw onto icicles, and when the desired food is walking underneath it, they break the already primed top of the deadly spike to make it impale the poor victim. It's very hard to unmask them, since they can barely be seen through the mirrored killing device. Adventurers have to be cautious.
    --- Snowedeka (Animal) ---
    The Snowedeka seems deceptively harmless, but if you get too close, they spin quickly in position and form into an ever-growing snowball to ultimately run you over. If they hit you, there's a knockback and the ball is occasionally destroyed, revealing the beast. Luring them onto ice or stone where they can't form a ball will cause them to be more defensive and careful.
    --- Flake Fang (Animal) ---
    Flake Fangs are extremely small hunters that disguise themselves as snowflakes falling from the sky. When they're right above the victim, they inflate heavely and show off sharp spikes to pierce through someone. Their path is influenced by wind and gravity. After hitting the ground, they stay there with their spikes out.​
    --- Umi'Nit (Tribe) ---
    The Umi'Nit are a neutral tribe of eskimo-like people with long, greyish hair that spreads all over their bodies, making them look like yetis. They live a rather primitve life, cutting holes into the surface of seas to catch fish and hunt down the local wildlife. They build houses that are a strange mixture of wood, ice, snow and animal skin. You can trade with them for food, technology and knowledge over animals, plants and locations, if you manage to win their trust and learn their language.
    --- Snowball Launcher (Weapon) ---
    If you want to keep your hard-earned ammunition, you can take one of these with you on an ice planet. This device is collecting snow that surrounds you automatically and shoots it at any desired target with high speed. Aslong as you stand on snow-covered ground the ammunition will never run dry, but the damage dealt is quite low, however the firing rate is extraordinary. When not standing on snowy ground, the weapon will do nothing.​
    --- Snowmobile (Vehicle) ---
    As a cheaper alternative to the hoverbike, a snowmobile can travel across snow and ice pretty fast without sliding across the ground out of your control.​
    --- Frozen Remains (Environment) ---
    As we've seen in some pictures so far, there will be things like mammoth skulls that are tinned in ice. Maybe you would be able to find rare species this way, which went extinct a long time ago. By extracting some DNA from them, you could bring them back to life in your laboratory, profitting from their uncommonly high stats and special skills.​
    Anymore ideas?​

Legris and nomotog like this.
  2. Iznano4nik

Iznano4nik Big Damn Hero

if u have some idea, please, think before say it. There are too little info about planet. Only 1 flower and 2 animal on the PLANET?? its very boring to discover this planet. Where weather effect such as snowstorm? where info about dang? geysers, yeti, unique underground cave crystal and ore?:)

3. Red Space Monkey

Of course should all these things you mentioned be on an ice planet. ;) I just wanted to name some ideas that would be rather unique in my opinion, except the snowmobile. Snowstorms, underground caves and other wildlife would be self-evident to me. =)

4. Blue-Demon

Blue-Demon Sandwich Man

The most i can tell you is that you can expect all planets to not be the same in some way or another, aside from that is that you are able to rename them(no idea if there are some requirements for renaming).

5. Red Space Monkey

Yepp, I hope the species living on planets with the same climate won't be all the same, like always finding the same kind of plant on every ice planet or so...

6. Blue-Demon

Blue-Demon Sandwich Man

you might be able to capture them and have them stay in that specific planet as body guards or something along does lines.

7. ArcaneMusic

ArcaneMusic Big Damn Hero

Well, you know how we today can drill into ice to be able to learn about plant matter and animal DNA trapped in ice? Perhaps the deeper you mine into an ice plant, the more relics you can find. Ex: Ancient plant seeds that you can make bloom again, Being able to resurrect ancient animals using machines, finding crystals of super compact ice for weapons and research. Heck, idea, the core of the planet would be very warm, and also solid, so you could find some of these ancient animals that were frozen alive at the core, but you have to guide them up to the surface to be able to collect them. : D

Also, ocean enemies perhaps? I mean, the melted ice has to go somewhere!

8. Blue-Demon

Blue-Demon Sandwich Man

if we are lucky we can uncover ancient technology, maybe reproduce or even upgrade it for better performance.

9. Red Space Monkey

I like that, this opens up many possibilities for crazy machinery. Sidequests could be linked to such adventures, like someone asking you to obtain a certain artifact that is rumored to be frozen under a giant pyramid of solid ice crystals.