NPC Ideas where to take colony system from PleasedGiraffe

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Helix1111, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Helix1111

Helix1111 Big Damn Hero

Thanks & About Me:
    First of all, Starbound Staff, thank you for your hard word and I really hope you are having a lot of fun making a great game like Starbound. You are truly making a great game and I really hope you don't plan on eventually dropping it and will continue to make addons and newer versions as the years go by because there is so much you can do to make this game even better then the awesome it already is. I am a builder, I don't spend to much time doing quests and fighting its not a big part of why I play starbound. I really enjoy the sandbox mode glorified lego aspect of the game and I'm so thankful you made my gameplay more engaging and interesting. I have been playing since the game came out about a year ago and love building and now that farming is more realistic I have been encouraged to do more of that!

My Ideas/Wishes:
    I personally find the NPC tenant Deed item a big large and ugly. Right now its 2x3 right? it would be nice if it was just 1x1 like that little house symbol in the bottom left of the actualy deed item. I understand the top part of the deed displays some information like a gift but maybe instead just make the 1x1 house thing change color... say green is happy. red is sad and purple is a gift and just keep it a 1x1 house symbol.

I notice the NPC die OFTEN so maybe a reward for keeping them alive for a while...

As it stands there isn't reward for making a big colony other then the fact you can get many gifts. It would be nice that if you start to grow your population something happens. Like maybe whomever is the most strongest or has the biggest nicest home can become the mayor/king/queen of the colony. and when you have a mayor/king/queen maybe they can give you specific gifts like a town sign you can make, (like a bigger version of the signs you can get from the out post; something like "Welcome to the TOWN of ***********" ETC or "VILLAGE of ******* Population 32" )With that said maybe as your population grows you can get fancier nicer signs, a village sign, town, sign, city sign, ETC.

attacks on your colony, Since I don't really leave the screen very much most of my game play happens in the same part of the planet as I build.. it would be nice once in a while and a couple theves entered from offscreen and tried to ransack the village and take items from our npcs.. or even kidnap them! , or do some arson on the village! . or maybe one of those big boss monsters would eventually rarely come and try to burn or attack the village.
    These are just a couple ideas, I hope you guys get a chance to read and respond to this.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    Shadow Wolf TJC and Lonewolf239 like this.
  2. Lonewolf239

Lonewolf239 Pangalactic Porcupine

More immersive colonies, yes. I think the deed sign is a bit big as well, but I don't like the idea of it being replaced. I'd prefer it if there were just another optional, smaller deed. I think they'll eventually flesh it out fully, but for now I'm just glad they got it out there. I like your ideas, being a builder myself it'd be nice to see the things I've built grow and take on a life of their own. I'd actually be really interested in watching my villagers construct new homes for other people, say their children, themselves, or their relatives, as well as starting their own little farms.

Helix1111 likes this.
  3. Dahoga

Dahoga Phantasmal Quasar

I think there should also be more race-specific items. For instance, the only items that bring about Novakid NPCs are Saloon items, and with those items you still cannot get Novakid guards or Novakid merchants. Also as a sidenote, I really wish NPCs would open and then CLOSE THE DOOR after they leave or enter a house. It lets all the dust storms in!

4. Femmex

Femmex Industrial Terraformer

MY Npcs close the door just in the moment i want enter the house... no good sign right? xD

5. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

Perhaps this is too big of a feature suggestion for Starbound, but if Chucklefish has plans to reuse the Starbound engine for a future project, then maybe they could tie colony creation to the core gameplay? For example, perhaps this future project could have a form of permadeath, that's on by default, in which, when players die, they may opt to select one of the colonists as the new player character, or to roll with a new randomly-generated character? Perhaps the player would have to manage how their colony(ies) function, by setting policies (including growth and breeding), and by assigning jobs (including farming, crafting, foraging, hunting, mining, education, training, maintenance, policing, patrolling, taxation, and guard duty to name a few) to their colonists (either directly or indirectly)? Perhaps the game would feature challenges that would require the player to bring an army with them, such as, say, storming an enemy fortress, or defending the colony from invasion?