1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

If you had to get rid of once race permanently, which would it be and why?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Sneve, Jan 31, 2017.

1. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

avians, cause racism
    racism, cause of another game from a while ago. trust me, its justified

2. AmazonValkyrie

AmazonValkyrie Spaceman Spiff

Proooooobably the Apex. They kinda bore me, especially their 1950s city aesthetics (albeit less color), and their craze over a supposedly all seeing, ass-hole being. I might not eradicate them though...just expose the truth and bring them down a few pegs lol. Perhaps implore them to find a deity figure that's actually benevolent.

3. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Apex for certain....a de-evolution of humans that really shouldn't exist....their ships are the most hideous player ships too. It would be the only race that would not be missed and adds nothing to the game.

4. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

I liked the apex boss fight the best by far, so they added that

krylo likes this.
  5. Sir_Djak

Sir_Djak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If we can chose even non player race i would say the Agarans.
    Because of their spreading techniques.

If its a playable character race i would say maybe florans but im not quite sure :wtf:

6. maestro kitty

maestro kitty Aquatic Astronaut

While I don't hate any of the races, if I had to eliminate one, it would probably be the Florans. As much as I like them, they feel more like an NPC race.

7. Qbasev

Qbasev Space Hobo

When I first read this I automatically thought about playable races, but when started reading replies, I'm also not sure, so here You are:
    PLAYABLE
    Novakid. They are a pretty new race (and I don't mean Starbound lore, but actual updates history - they were added separately, after six "basic" races where already in game) and I'm sure we would make it as good without them. They don't have many types of structures (just village, I think), they aren't any realistic and the game just misses them in some places (no novakid artifact, no novakid codexes etc.). The problem would be they were partly player-made, so it would be quite unfair to creators to now remove them, but if we really had to choose one race, they would be (in my opinion) the lowest pirce choice.
    ALL
    Fenerox. Have nearly nothing (nearly no structures, no history, no important outpost character) and sentences "Not fenerox. Being nice." are quite already taken by Glitch and Floran (I know that's a bit different, but still - in my opinion - too similar).

8. Lord Humungus

Lord Humungus Big Damn Hero

Post 1.0 humans, to replace with pre 1.0, more cynical humans.

9. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

To be fair, there's an in-story reason for the novakids not having an artifact.
    They only came into existence after the Cultivator died, being formed from his remnants.

maestro kitty likes this.
  10. maestro kitty

Personally, I really like the Fenerox. They're all super adorable! It's also really cool to see a race that, while still effectively in the Stone Age, aren't necessarily "stuck" in it (unlike the Glitch and Novakids).

krylo and Sylxeria like this.
  11. TaterChipp007

TaterChipp007 Master Chief

It'd have to be the Novakids, mostly because the wild wild west is wild wild wack. And there were so many better ideas at the time.

12. Sylxeria

Sylxeria Industrial Terraformer

The penguins, Froggs, or the Agarans if "Any race"
    Humans, Florans, or Apex if "Playable Only"

But I wouldn't want to remove any race to begin with so.... ^^;

13. Proginoskes

Proginoskes Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Agarans add nothing.
    Even in the game's code, they're just fungal Florans. Lorewise, nothing would be different.
    Fenerox aren't much lore wise, but at least they're something new!
    Froggs are just OK, and the Shadow People are as spooky as necessary.
    Make Agarans a subset of Florans, or just remove them.

14. maestro kitty

That wasn't always the case. It used to be that the Agarans were basically corruption given form. Lore-wise, their spores could infect almost every other race, making them quite dangerous.

Nowadays, though, I agree with you.

15. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Actually, in the old lore, the only concrete things were that they could infect Florans, but the infection failed horribly on Apex with lethal results. They were also said in a lore entry (The only one about them, in fact) that they carried out sacrifices.

16. 5hift

5hift Void-Bound Voyager

Avians.

The Avali are superior in every way.

17. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

I'd say Avians - while I don't hold anything against them, for some reason they feel the least notable of all vanilla races, it feels like they add the least to Starbound's galactic stage. Their presence is just... strangely forgettable.

Funnily enough, if you scroll up, you'll also notice that Avians weren't included in this thread's tags to begin with.

Avali are overrated and their "cute floofy space raptors ^-^" gimmick appeals to the lowest common denominator. If this question of getting rid of a race included modded races, I'd certainly consider picking Avali instead.

krylo, IxFa and STCW262 like this.
  18. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

It's more that they feel like a bit of a reprise of themes used by other races. One of their main traits is that their society is an oppressive theocracy with bloodthirsty fanatics. Note how one of their main themes is having a dystopic state. That makes them less unique, as that concept is also used by the Apex (And those arguably do a better job). Their unique trait pre-1.0 was that they were technologically uplifted, but that was somewhat undermined now by the Artifacts, which cause all races to have this trait as well, making them less unique.

19. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

If it's totally erase... I'd have to say apex. Their lore is just a bit too on-the-nose for me, and i feel it could have been done much better. Much of it is very blatantly 1984, with apes mixed in; and the idea that they looked near exactly like humans before some mass science experiment does terrible things to my own suspension of disbelief.
    Otherwise the novakid, because I feel they were handled lazily in their integration with the rest of the game. I do not feel they come off as having a short attention span so much as they come off as entirely mindless. Which I suppose they technically are, but that's besides the point.
    Source this? People say it, but I have found nothing indicative of this.
    Furthermore it doesn't really make sense. The cultivator can put their face on the gate the artefacts unlocks, but can't give them one?
    Same problem with the floran. How is a "relatively young race" on the gate with everyone else? How do they get a key if the race (supposedly) born immediately after them does not? Did the cultivator die last week?

20. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

The ending's speech by the Cultivator implies that the Novakids are pieces of him.
    Who said THE CULTIVATOR put the Novakid face there? It could have been an actual Novakid, or the ancients that built the other ancient buildings, such as the Vaults.