WIP Immersive Spouses - Improved Spouse Schedules

Discussion in 'Characters' started by someguy363, Jan 2, 2020.

1. someguy363

someguy363 Void-Bound Voyager

Mod is now out on Nexus mods. I'll be managing it from there now and anything on this page is outdated: https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/5117

Haley will take pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sam will go to work, compatible with both Joja and the Museum
    [​IMG]
    No more Sebastian going to band practice alone
    [​IMG]

Penny reads at the CC if it's completed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Emily attends yoga on Tuesdays
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    SVE NPCs will also be worked on (Sophia will not be included right now)
    [​IMG]

By default most spouses only have 2 days they go out (usually Mon and Fri), with the rare exception such as Penny. Some spouses even only go out on 1 day (Haley). This mod will attempt to increase the days they go out to 4 days by adding an extra 2 or 3 days to their schedule. I am still debating whether to increase the number to 5 days after I get some feedback as I will explain why later.

Because of the way the game is coded, on every day your spouse goes to leave they have a specific dialogue they use when you talk to them in the morning. Same for when you talk to them at night. This reduces the amount of times you can talk to your spouse and see their unique dialogue and I'm not adequate enough to find a way to override this. Leaving it to 4 days will give you 3 days where your spouse stays home and you can see their dialogue. Your spouse also stays home whenever it's raining, which is also why I'm thinking of increasing the days they go out to 5 max to balance itself. You can give me your opinion on this.

Haley's original, both married and non married, schedule was already kind of barebones so I did the best I could

[​IMG]
    • Mon - Part of vanilla game
    • Tue - Visits the fountain, goes to the bus stop to take pictures of the town, heads home early
    • Thu - Goes near Leah's home and takes pictures, heads to her old home and stands outside the door of her darkroom "Hi, dear. I'm just processing my films in the darkroom.", heads home
    • Sun - Goes to the beach, heads down to Willy's pier and takes pictures of the ocean, heads to the fountain, goes back home

[​IMG]
    • Tue - Heads to Pierre's shop to attend yoga class, does yoga, works at saloon, goes home
    • Thu - Heads to old house, heads to a spot in town and looks at river, if CC is completed she will go to the CC instead, works at saloon, goes home
    • Fri - Part of vanilla game

[​IMG]
    • Wed - Heads to museum, visits grave, goes home
    • Sun - Stands near the bus stop, goes to the forest, heads to Pierre's Shop and into the kitchen, goes to her room and plays video games "I love the farm house and all, but there's just something nostalgic about playing games back in my old room.", heads home

Penny arguably had the best vanilla schedule so there wasn't much I had to do

[​IMG]
    • Tue - Part of vanilla game
    • Wed - Part of vanilla game
    • Sun - Heads to town and watches the river "I used to come here all the time to avoid my mother.", heads to the park/fountain and reads, if CC is completed none of those things happens, she will instead go to the CC and read then visit Pam at the bus stop, heads to the bench in front of saloon to sit with Maru, heads home

Sam was a double-edged sword. From what I've noticed, your spouse will use the outdoor spouse area on Saturdays. I try to avoid giving them a schedule on Sat but for Sam, I had to choose between Sebastian attending band practice alone or Sam skateboarding in his area for like 2 hours. I figured immersion was more important and chose the former.

[​IMG]

• Tue - Goes to work at Joja mart (Museum is CC is completed), heads outside and plays on his gameboy, goes to Jodi's house and enters Vincent's room, heads home
    • Sat - Heads to the beach, goes to Jodi's house and into his room to attend band practice, plays the guitar, stands outside with Sebastian, heads home

Future plans

• Add everyone else
    • Add SVE NPCs
    • Add dialogue interactions to all spouse schedule locations (like when Penny is reading her book)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
      Moragaine and HopeWasHere like this.
    • someguy363

someguy363 Void-Bound Voyager

Update (file not actually updated): I've learnt how to give spouses specific schedule days now, meaning I can now have spouses go to their yearly doctor's checkup, go to the night market, etc. I'm also confident I can pull off seasonal schedules now, but that won't be happening for awhile. I've given spouses randomized dialogue meaning they'll say different things at certain spots to give you more incentive to visit them. This will also (hopefully) make up for the lost dialogue from them going out twice the amount, meaning the possibility of giving spouses a total of 5 days to their schedule is more likely. I may also know how to override the dialogue they have when leaving (and even have it randomized) but I'm not confident on if it'll work. There is only one problem left and it's the rainy days. If it rains during something like a spouse's clinic checkup day, they won't attend but their morning dialogue will still have them mentioning about going to the doctor's. I can't find a way to override this, even putting in a weather condition for their schedules to only work during rain does nothing.

All the bachelorettes are done and just need testing. Their schedules aren't final, I just want to get them out there and see the response to this mod to know if it's worth investing more time into. The beta should come out tomorrow or the day after on Nexus Mods.

Edit:
      I'm commenting as a personal journal so I don't forget, but some interesting discoveries. Penny, Maru, and Harvey will still go out if it's raining on the days they go to work (Penny tutoring, Maru and Harvey hospital). This is because they don't use the standard "marriage_{{day}}" line that all other spouses do, they use "marriageJob". After some digging around I found how the game defines what days "marriageJob" equals for every spouse. I think I also found the line of code that causes the other spouses to stay in when it's raining and the code that shows they use their outdoor spouse area on Sat. Unfortunately that's where I stop because I'm not a good coder and don't feel comfortable adjusting the game's code. So if it just so happens to rain on a spouse's clinic day, can't do anything about that. If I get someone who knows how to code I can eventually solve it. I don't want to have them not stay in when it rains, I just need someone to add the specific day the spouse goes to the clinic into the "marriageJob" code to allow me to assign their clinic day as "marriageJob".

Otherwise, I've given Penny a test on dynamic schedules. Previously Vincent and Jas don't attend classes if it's raining but spouse Penny used to keep going to the museum because like previously stated, "marriageJob" doesn't follow the rain rule so I can't make her stay inside the house when it rains those days. I've given her a new schedule when it rains on a work day, along with new morning dialogue to accommodate for it. Vincent and Jas also don't go to classes on Tue during Summer, which I've edited for Penny's schedule.

There's also one more problem. For some reason on the days your spouse don't go out (including if it rains on a day they're supposed to go out), SMAPI will log an error that says "A mod set an invalid schedule for_, so the NPC may not behave correctly.". For some reason this has something to do with the random tokens I inserted into the schedules to give them randomized dialogue, but everyone I've talked to don't understand why the error is being logged. I've tested the NPCs, as far as I can see SMAPI may report an error but the NPCs behave completely fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2020
        HopeWasHere and Moragaine like this.