In some ways, I look forward to SV more so than SB

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matchew, May 11, 2013.

1. Matchew

Matchew Subatomic Cosmonaut

I first found out about Stardew Valley when it was being promoted over at the development site for Starbound, as both are being produced under Chucklefish. As it is, I'm still looking a great deal forward toward Starbound, but I think I may be growing fonder of Stardew. Does anyone else share in this?

Carkasjak likes this.
    • BlackRainbow

BlackRainbow Aquatic Astronaut

Well, I found myself thinking the same thing recently.

The thing I'm sure of is that I plan on playing both with my girlfriend... and SV, gameplay-wise, seems like it would grab her more than SB (although she's a SciFi nut...). And the combat seems more "optional" in SV than in SB, which is a plus (despite her being able to play through Mass Effect 1-3).

• Shippo

Shippo Existential Complex

Nothing can beat the anticipation I have for Starbound, but I am very much looking forward to Stardew Valley & Treasure Adventure World!
        I already have Wanderlust. Risk of Rain does look interesting, so it might be something I eventually get too!

killpay likes this.
        • Bacon

Bacon Tiy's Beard

Stardew Valley is an interesting game that did show some nice potential, still starbound is my main motive to be here. :lolwut:

• KyeTheShy

KyeTheShy Subatomic Cosmonaut

@Matchew

I have to agree this game looks awesome.
            This will probably be my next longest played game after starbound. I love farming games like harvest moon.

I just hope this one doesn't do the same pre-order setup that starbound does, otherwise i will end up paying lots more to this game lol!

MoonyGekko likes this.
            • oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

I am definitely looking more forward to SV, because that's where I joined up with first.

• Wasselin

Wasselin Pangalactic Porcupine

Ever since I first played Harvest Moon I've been waiting for Stardew Valley. I mean to say that I think Stardew Valley looks like what I always wanted Harvest Moon to be.

deviantwolf and DatYandereGirl like this.
                • Necrius

Necrius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The only farming game I played was Sim Farm. But SV looks so promising that I wanna try it out as well.

• Cassie

Cassie Phantasmal Quasar

I'm looking forward to SV most, since that's what brought me here and it's what I've been wishing for for a loooong time.
                    I'll probably play SB too, but not as much as I'll be playing SV. Goodbye what is left of my social life when that comes out.

• Battlemage

Battlemage Void-Bound Voyager

I've been looking forward to a home platform HM-style game for so long; Natsume has gone completely to the handheld market for new HM games and RF, while good, is simply not the same. I've been playing RF: Tides of Destiny to scratch the itch, but it's an imperfect replacement for a proper home system HM game. Stardew Valley, I think, will be that replacement proper.

• Matchew

Matchew Subatomic Cosmonaut

I kinda don't mind the move to handheld. There are a lot of games that are great that I can't play because I only have time to play at night before bed and I hate sitting at a computer. It feels confining. I like the freedom to go over to my circle chair or my bed at will while playing my 3DS.

• Battlemage

Battlemage Void-Bound Voyager

My issues with handheld systems is that I have grown very accustomed to a large screen, I get pains in my neck, the small screen strains my eyes and, worst of all, my wrists are nearly shot from 20+ years of PC gaming and working with a keyboard. For some handhelds mean convinience, for me handhelds mean painkillers; lots of painkillers. At least the keyboard is a pain I am very accustomed and prepared for; I've taken as many measures as I can with my keyboard, desk position, wrist rest, etc.

• KyeTheShy

KyeTheShy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Handhelds for me can be a blessing compared to sitting up and looking at a big screen. The only downfall to holding a 3DS XL or Vita, is that my hands go numb very easily and it can be a pain to try and play with a numb hand :/

• Finn Learson

Finn Learson Lettuce Bring Peace!

I'm sure SV will be as captivating for different reasons than SB.

• Carkasjak

Carkasjak Void-Bound Voyager

Me too! I'm dying to play a deeper version of farmville, without all the facebook and microtransaction crap. :D

EDIT: Underlined and bolded important parts.

Thorin likes this.
                                • Pinkie Pie

Pinkie Pie Cosmic Narwhal

Get out, just get the hell out right now for even mentioning that abomination.

Jtra1n, Mopy and Jonesy like this.
                                  • Carkasjak

Carkasjak Void-Bound Voyager

How about you calm down and change your font color to something readable instead? ;>

Planting and harvesting crops, customizing your farm, etc in FarmVille is quite a good concept. If you had actually read the entirety of my two sentence post you'd realize that I would like the "abomination" part gone.

• Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Only now did I even bother to look at what Stardew Valley is all about. I actually want it now, though perhaps not as much as Starbound.

Carkasjak likes this.
                                      • FelixArk

FelixArk Master Chief

Stardew Valley and Starbound are two very different projects for different types of gamers. While Starbound is focuses much on adventure and travel, Stardew Valley's aim is the complete opposite... Settling down and small-town development. As excited as I am for Starbound's customization, inter-planetary dungeon crawls, and struggle to keep tunnels lit up; I am equally excited for Stardew's farming system, farm development, and exploring the town and interpersonal development system.

Comparing Starbound to it's most equal game to date (Terraria,) I am excited to see all of the innovations that Starbound is bringing to the table. I love the fact that it has a story, I like how you can't dissasemble dungeons until you have solved them, and I ADORE the fact that there are different races to add a sense of style and flavor to the much more massive game.

Comparing Stardew to it's most equal game to date (Harvest Moon, particularly my favorite HM64 on N64,) I am overjoyed to see multiplayer added into the mix. I think it will be a much more interested experience to split the workload up between my friends as I play the game. I also like the ideas going into the level up system and how there is an added sense of progression within that. Additionally, I like the style of the game and the work going into the characters to keep things fresh day to day, year to year.

All in all, I can easily say I am excited for both games, and mad props to Chucklefish to have such talented game designers working their company.

• Uberbasher betax

Uberbasher betax Space Penguin Leader

Well its like: You never asked for this..
                                          But its there now! ;)

But for some reason i am also curious about stardew i mean i have played the original HM and recently a few RF games the most grindy RF is oceans though.

Jonesy likes this.