1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Increasing .shipworld size?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by akuarell, Apr 1, 2020.

1. akuarell

akuarell Void-Bound Voyager

So i noticed that Starbound keeps adding 2kb every minute to the .shipworld file even without doing absolutely anything. is this normal or wanted behaviour? it basically keeps bloating that file into oblivion even when im just standing still

unmodded starbound
    windowed
    windows 10 x64

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Never noticed nor heard of that behaviour. Please provide the following information:
    - What do you have on your ship?
    - Is it reproducable with any ship?
    - At which Tier is this issue happening?

3. akuarell

i have nothing on my ship and its reproducable with every kind of ship. when you create a new character as an example.
    i can change the ship to whatever i want, t1 t2 etc and its still happening.

i recorded footage of this:

going to leave the game open until i wake up later to prove it further
    this is the file size now
    [​IMG]

edit; so its not happening every minute its happening way faster

edit 2:

[​IMG]

good night

[​IMG]

this leads to a unusuable .shipworld over time since it lags you and other players if you come into the area of being rendered to each other if that file gets too big

edit: so i had that old shipworld file that got over 22mb big and after copying the contents into a new fresh file it went back to like 1,6mb

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2020
  4. Iris Blanche

Did you start starbound after copying the file or was it trimmed during copying?

Also avoid doubleposts after such a short time as they could be considered as spam. :nuruwink:

5. akuarell

i copied the contents of my old .shipworld into a new one while being in game. the game just copied whats needed i guess and 18mb of bloat got ignored. so this is a serious error inside the game and i really dont know how nobody noticed this yet

6. Iris Blanche

What do you mean by "you copied the contents"? Did you override the old shipworld file?

Edit: Nvm. I was able to reproduce this issue. The 2KB are also added when simply logging out and in again. @Katzeus this seems to be a serious issue. I think it'd be a good idea to take a look into that part again. :nurushock:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  7. akuarell

i have the means of copying the contents of any .(ship)world file into another while being ingame just like i wrote above. but this is not relevant for my report since i reported it with a completely fresh starbound installation thats completely unmodded or edited in any way

edit: and a completely fresh character + ship of course. you can replicate this with every shipfile you can imagine it doesnt change anything at all.

8. akuarell

so just a little update: i was able to reproduce this on linux too