1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Digital Insects, Robots and Aliens (oh my!)

Discussion in 'Art' started by Luthien, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Luthien

Luthien Astral Cartographer

Notes:
    • Even the work that looks traditional, was done 100% digitally. The power of custom brushes!
    • I don't usually do requests, so ask for art-trades instead! I love trading with people of any age or artistic experience! Don't be afraid to ask!
    I draw a lot, and since getting into starbound i've been focusing on content that revolves around the topic of its lore and concepts. Outside of video-game characters, I draw (so many) insects, as well as creatures and OCs from the lore I write with my partner, who is yet to delve into the depths of starbound with me. I'll likely update this thread whenever I draw something new, so although it will only have a few pictures and works-in-progress now, it will likely become a little more fruitful as time goes on, and as i continue to draw inspiration from the subject we all love.

Here's a quick piece of my starbound character, Moth. She's an enthusiastic trash-and-treasure hoarder, who owns a junkyard out by Theta Nest.

Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 11.50.38 am.png

These are some (unfinished, i bounce from project to project :p) concept arts of a species mod I've been working on putting together for starbound. While it's in no state to be released just yet, it will hopefully find the light of day sometime soon. The species are called Coroko, and are avian/marsupial-based. Their original concept was to create something that wasn't just an identifiable animal species (bird, dog, fish, etc) and instead something a little more unplaceable.

Screen Shot 2016-07-30 at 2.35.31 pm.png Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 12.03.24 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 6.25.49 pm.png

Here are a few other works of mine. Just bits and pieces. I won't be uploading much of my non-starbound work, I mostly just want to share my style and gage the creative interest of other starbounders <:
    Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 3.49.07 am.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 12.27.20 pm.png Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 12.24.47 pm.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 12.25.27 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 12.25.56 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 12.13.27 pm.png

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  2. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Your works are amazing! Detailed and beautifully colored. How did you color these works of yours? Just a newbie question . xD

also a follow-up question, what is the race of Moth?

Luthien likes this.
  3. Luthien

Hey thank you so much! it means a great deal! I use Photoshop or ArtRage to both draw and colour in, depending what style I'm working with. Cleaner stuff i do with photoshop, the sketchy, rough traditional-looking work I do on ArtRage, which does very well in replicating traditional mediums. (I highly recommend it to people who are more comfortable with pencil and paper!) It's also good to note that i use a LOT of custom brushes with photoshop, so it may be difficult for people without those brushes to replicate a similar look!

Also, Moth is a glitch!

Crossfang likes this.
  4. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

damn.. I guess I can never do it then. xD

I knew it.. just wanted to make sure she's a Glitch. xD

Luthien likes this.
  5. Luthien

I wanted to redraw Moth a little closer to how she is in my head. 20 minutes in photoshop, much happier with this one! <:

(forgive my messy scribbles.)

c2371baec87f4f9093b81ae665762ec8.png

Alkanthe, Blue-E and Crossfang like this.
  6. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Oooooh! This is another awesome work!

I think the "messy scribbles" compliments your work well.

Luthien likes this.
  7. Luthien

I drew the Novakid character of my friend @Blue-E who plays SB with me on the server I own <: Her name is Fork. She's pretty swanky. Her an Moth knew each other in prison, and became good buds.

[​IMG]

Blue-E and Crossfang like this.
  8. Blue-E

Blue-E Scruffy Nerf-Herder

OMG THATS ME!! THATS MY CHARACTER!! @Luthien you are so cool. you're a dork, but you're a cool dork. i think that makes sense. yeah.

Alkanthe and Luthien like this.
  9. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

*hEAVY BREATHING* HOW ART SO WELL EVERYTHING LOOKS AMAZING ARE YOU A PROFESSIONAL

Luthien likes this.
  10. Luthien

OH MY GOSH AAA! hi again! jksdhdfgahaha I'd love to turn it into a job one day, but for now I'm literally just some nerd with a drawing tablet and way too many sources of inspiration. I'm glad you enjoy my work!

Jareix Cryvix and Alkanthe like this.