1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Interested in contributing to the Starbound Chronicle?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Feb 12, 2014.

1. The newsletter is late this month! Really late. Sorry. That's my fault.
    I'm in London this month and had told myself that I'd definitely totally have time to finish up the last couple of newsletter columns by February 3rd, BUT ALAS we've been having lots of meetings and doing lots of office planning and it's difficult to keep up with things when you're traveling.

Each month I'd really like to include a Modder's Spotlight feature, but some months (like this month), I don't have a lot of time to sit around and search for and play and check out loads of mods. I don't think it's entirely fair to just be lazy and feature the top most downloaded new mods, or the highest rated. That's just not very helpful.

So here's what I'm asking-- is anyone with some writing skill and knowledge of/interest in mods and the modding community interested in writing a monthly spotlight column for the Starbound Chronicle? If so, post a writing sample!

I'm also open to taking suggestions for other monthly (or just occasional) Starbound Chronicle features. I'm changing it up so that it reads more like an actual canon newspaper that would make sense if a player was to find it in-game, so keep that in mind. :)

class101 likes this.
  2. Akuu

Akuu Master Chief

I'd be interested in doing that, although some details would help. How long should the spotlight be? How many mods can be included? How are the spotlights submitted? Finally, are we meant to submit the writing sample here?

3. Those are important details! Sorry for leaving them out.
    Three mods per newsletter, a brief paragraph per mod. There will be a relevant image above each paragraph, but I'll provide those. :O

Whoever I choose to write the spotlight can send them directly to me via PM or e-mail, but you can submit writing samples right here in this thread if you'd like.

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

You know what I always thought would be fun.
    Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy style books.

Technically would be perfect for starbound.
    A character like Ford Prefect, a really sass, hoopy frood kinda guy going around the universe on swash buckling adventures along the way (when he isn't drunk, which would probably be the period of time, between when he regains consciousness as he travels from one bar to the next.)

Douglas Adams R.I.P

Code:
    Sass: know of, be aware of, meet, have "relations" with
    Hoopy:  A really together guy.
    Frood : a really amazingly together guy.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    tacoswithfriends likes this.
  5. BRAWW

BRAWW Vice-President of the Red Gang

Hi, new around here but I'd love to help out. I'm a writer. Here is a quick sample of my writing capabilities, in regards to Starbound mods.

As for suggestions, how about a Community Member of the month, Community Moderator of the Month, Redditor of the Month, Starbound Meme of the Month, Number of Spam Bots Slain during ____, Fan Art of the Month, Fan Literature of the Month and last but not least Suggestion of the Month.

Grimmturd and Jonesy like this.
  6. Akuu

Akuu Master Chief

Here's my sample mod spotlight:

Want to spice up your universe? Here's this month's mod spotlight to help:

[Pic goes here]
    (Example mod): feel like your ship is small? Boring? Well forget about having to stack all your furn and fully customize your ship with this mod!

7. My sample mod spotlight:

[​IMG]
    Have you been itching for some Hylotl content? @seancruz 's mod, Rise of the Hylotl, adds some great Hylotl content, with interesting mechanic ideas to boost. New Hylotl weapon and armor tiers, an herb garden to harvest new materials for crafting, a groovy healing bathtub, and a Galactic Market Network that sells unique items unobtainable elsewhere. Top it off with fantastic artwork and you have a meaty mod that gives the Hylotl some much needed love. Did I mention there's tea for healing properties and warmth? Keep calm and Hylotl on. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/rise-of-the-hylotl.822/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    chregon, Jonesy, DotBeta and 2 others like this.
  8. Elate

Elate Spaceman Spiff

Disclaimer: I haven't used/installed these mods, if I were actually going to write this I'd probably try them out first so I can have validity in any claims I make. Y'know, professional integrity and all that.

Of course, the length would depend on the mod in question, in retrospect I picked something that doesn't have much to write about other than "ADDS MOAR COLORS". Bad call me.

Kind of wish I'd gone for that writing style now, as a massive Hitch Hikers fan it'd be fun to try and mimic the tone of the actual Guide itself.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    cyberspyXD, Seraphi and The | Suit like this.
  9. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

If you were thinking about including "columnists" with specific themes written by we members, I'd love to submit an idea for "pet of the week/month/etc". An entertaining write-up including a funky little discovery story, location, and an actual little drawing/painting of the beastie itself.

...writing mini-article Molly, will update when completed :D

10. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Blatantly copying Finn's stuff in an attempt at satire!

Floran tired of eating ssame people at ssame nightclub each night, want different cuissine. sseancruz provide good mod, can be sstabbed lasst. "Risse of Fisshsstick", add tassty ssusshi content, interessting technaw...tekno...sstuff to ssteal. New fisshy weapon and lemon pepper sseassoning, herb garden to keep food happy, a little osshean block thing, and a Food Network that ssellss thingss that food likess. Alsso, thingss to cover wallss, and you have a meaty mod. Mmmm... Meat... that givess the Hylotl ssome much needed tartar sausse. Did I mention there iss tea for "act civilissed" and ssteam fish? Keep calm and sstab fissh. Besst ressipe: Add sspear, sserve at room temp. Ssilly fisshsstick man keep fire closse, get burned and ruin tasste. Bad fisshsstick man. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/rise-of-the-hylotl.822/

11. IronSabre

IronSabre Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Another Monthly Special could be more role play that includes updated aspects of the game.

These articles would be written as undercover reports or diary entries from a reporter by the name of Scoop McFanny -Space Faring Reporter

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    Finn Learson likes this.
  12. Radiated Ronin

Radiated Ronin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would love to help in any way I can, but the game is not very stable on my platform and I don't use mods (yet). Do you need any other writing assistance?

TOO COOL!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2014
    Finn Learson likes this.
  13. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

Maybe something like advertisements, or missing posters. Or obituaries for characters lost to crashes or wipes?

critiasConfined and The | Suit like this.
  14. Still lookin' for Derrick I see.

15. Fire Woven

Fire Woven Poptop Tamer

I could see a stories section being quite popular. Similar to (actually almost exactly like, come to think of it) those notes found in game of that Hyotol adventurer perhaps?

I could also see a Architecture Spotlight, showcasing interesting or unique buildings/structures built and submitted by players.

16. Stories are a thing that will happen. :)

Nazja likes this.
  17. Fire Woven

Fire Woven Poptop Tamer

Awesome. I look forward to reading them. And if you all need an author for some, I do consider myself a pretty good story teller.

18. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

Ill give it a shot.

[Mod that adds new locations/biomes]
    Hello traveler! Tired of seeing the same things over and over again? Longing for something new to loot/deface/ruin or even explore? Buy the latest map of the stars! Provided by acclaimed star mapper HELIX STONE!

A bit tired right now. Might put up another example later.

19. Sadeyx

Sadeyx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I keep meaning to say.

Ive signed up for the newsletter loads of times over the years but have yet to receive one! :(

What can I do about that? Is it because I have a hotmail address or something?

20. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014