Inventory Weight

Discussion in 'Other' started by Ethric, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Ethric

Ethric Phantasmal Quasar

(I had no idea whether to put this in Mechanics or Gear and Items, so I posted this here).

I believe that your inventory should have a weight limit. However, you can still surpass the limit but your movement speed and jump height will be harshly decreased. The cap could be increased by purchasing bigger backpacks (or whatever you store your inventory) from NPCs. Another alternative is to either drop items or store them in a storage unit in your base.

Also to make it easier on the player, ammo and currency will have no weight.

2. Zman12380

Zman12380 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't support, sorry, it's just that it will be too annoying to prevent yourself from carrying important stuff just because of their weight.
    Also, sorry for being a bit too harsh, but i need to remind you, as far as we know, there is going to be no leveling system in the game, meaning that you are stuck with the same weight limit all the time unless you use a tool or something, which will take inventory space and will cause many possible problems.

3. Ethric

Ethric Phantasmal Quasar

Inventory weight capacity isn't influenced by leveling, I mentioned that it would be increased by purchasing better storage units from NPCs.

4. Gusty

Gusty Pangalactic Porcupine

Hmm... it could work with the "purchasing better storage" idea you mentioned Ethric... Could open room for weight capacity for the landing ship as well... of course, much, much more for the ship, but still an interesting thing...

Could add more strategy... or some thinking. As in... you have your inventory almost full, you go back to your ship, manage your inventory, and keep going. I don't think it would "ruin" the gameplay to return to your ship for store some items... could even help the "NO. I DIED,, MY GOD MY ITEMS. NOOOOO" (if we lose items at death, and not just monetary loss), so kind of a bonus.

5. Zman12380

Zman12380 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Still, i don't think this game needs another element of inventory management in the game, i mean, i can understand it with games like skyrim where you have unlimited inventory space but i don't think that you will have an unlimited storage space SB, so i think that limited inventory spaced are good enough, again, it is just my opinion.

Ryan Folland likes this.
  6. EWA

EWA Twenty-three is number one

I think this would be a good idea if Starbound had unlimited inventory space but if it is limited with weight I don't think it would be a good idea.
    I agree with Zman keep limited inventory space.

7. GearSecond

GearSecond Void-Bound Voyager

Do not want. Do not want at all.