NPC Inviting Non-Tenant Crewmembers

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Trek47, Feb 2, 2016.

Tags:
?

Is this a good idea?

1. YESYESYES LET'S MAKE CHUCKLEFISH IMPLEMENT THIS

25 vote(s)
    92.6%
  2. It could be better.

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. I don't really care one way or the other.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It's pretty suck if you ask me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. OH MY GOD THIS IS AWFUL WHY'D YOU EVEN POST THIS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Trek47

Trek47 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So, with a new system for adding crewmembers to our ships via the colony system announced, I started thinking about a new way we can add crewmembers: inviting them.

How This Would Work
    Basically, if you encounter an NPC when you're out exploring a strange alien world, you can interact with them and ask them if they want to join your crew. There is a catch, though: not all of them will accept your offer, especially if they're living in a village. And don't expect hostile NPCs to respond with something other than gunfire.

Those who do accept your offer will either be extremely happy to get off and immediately be added to you crew, or they'll give you a quest that you can complete. If you complete it, they'll join your crew.

Once in your crew, they'll be able to follow you around as you explore (which is what seems to be the case with the new feature), or you could perhaps build a proper house for them in your colony and move them in.

My Inspiration
    One day, while exploring an arid planet looking for a bone mini-biome, I came across an Apex living in a little shabby house in the middle of nowhere. Seeing that he was lonely, I decided to have a talk with him, and here's what he had to say:

[​IMG]
    As soon as he said that, I immediately wanted to accept his request and let him see the wonders of outer space, to let him rain death and destruction to hostile alien creatures alongside me as my wingman (or wing-ape). Unfortunately, I couldn't, and he'll have to spend his time living in that house under constant fear of getting eaten by a savage monster.

In an earlier, parallel universe, where I was a Floran huntress instead of an Apex rebel, I wandered into a Floran village and found a young girl (I'm assuming it was a girl; gender is hard to tell with sentient plant-people) who demanded me to take her off the planet she was living on. Sadly, that universe and the girl have since been lost due to constant updates.

Closing Words
    So this is a little idea I came up with after seeing the new dev post. If it turns out they're already implementing this, then you can ignore this (although if they do, it won't be nearly as good as this :poke:).

If you have good modding skills and would like to use this in a mod of yours, feel free to do so long as you mention this thread as your inspiration and let me know so I can have a look at your product.

Asromega and Verion like this.
  2. Thalant

Thalant Zero Gravity Genie

I'd cry of happiness if they implemented this. Though I also like the way it's going to be as it gives you another reason for setting up a colony. But please, this story made me feel so hard :rofl: I vote YES to this!!

3. Superfast103

Superfast103 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Great Idea! I love meeting random people and kidnapping them!

4. PabloElPuas

PabloElPuas Pangalactic Porcupine

Good idea

5. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

This has been suggested before and it'll probably be suggested again by another person unless it gets implemented before then.

I liked the idea last time and I still like the idea of being able to get other non-tenant NPCs, though getting them to actually trust you so they can join the crew should probably involve a quest. Perhaps the more powerful an NPC is the harder the quest or at least non-tenant NPCs have a chance of being extra powerful or having something special about them to give people a little more incentive to get those types of people.

Though I suppose the incentive is also that the person doesn't have to produce a colony to get a crew, which is a pretty good incentive.

6. Keroro04

Keroro04 Poptop Tamer

I love the idea, and I hope it it gets integrated, but what ShinigamiX said is right. A quest to recruit NPCs would be great.

7. Superfast103

Looks like this will actually happen according to today's Dev Blog! I can't wait!

8. Thalant

You mean the final approach to 1.0? I didn't read something like that there. As far as I know, the only non-tenant crew members you can have are the mercenary penguins, right? Or did I miss something?

9. Ariento

Ariento Phantasmal Quasar

You can get them by completing quests at NPC villages too, not just ones you've set up. That's how I got my two crew members - my tailor from a floran village, and my engineer from an apex village.

10. Thalant

Sweet! I didn't understand that. Now that's something I'd like to see.

11. Superfast103

I'm pretty sure that the random NPCs that you can accept quests from will be available for your crew, since that is how your colonists join. This helps the lazy people who don't want to set up colonies.

12. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

Why would anyone want to leave the house and go somewhere? But all sorts of prisoners and inmates is another matter. Especially if the hero is their ally.

13. Thalant

Because someone could be tired of living a boring life in the middle of nothing and want some adventures across the universe?

14. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

But not everyone.