IRR (Rate of Return) for Profit, and other crop research.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xFishbone, Mar 14, 2016.

1. xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

as far as i can tell, watering multiple crops works like watering one crop. except you can do it even with just 1 unit of water left in the can.

higher farming level will however reduce the energy needed per watered plant.
    afaik if u have 0 u have 100% chance of using 2 energy per use.. and at 10 u have 100% chance to use only 1.

higher level = less energy per use of hoe, less energy per use of watering can, and it improves your chances of getting better crops.

neptunite to use as seed crystal - 400g
    Crystalarium - 8000g
    being able to feed your waifu her favorite crystal - priceless.
    (emerald for penny, amethyst for abby, diamond for maru, etc.)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
      Kittenykat likes this.
    • xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

in our case its basically how many% it grows per day, if we cashed in then reinvested every day.

calculation wise, we assume we borrow the money for the initial investment, then look for the interest rate the bank has to charge us before we end up earning $0.
      which will be the same as how fast we grow a day if the bank charged us 0%.

in real life, companies that use this set a certain number they want to earn. say 10%.
      so then anything with more than 10% meets their requirements.

• SunTide

SunTide Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's not actually random, it just looks that way because of rounding. Stamina is stored as a float, and each level of proficiency reduces energy usage by 0.1 (discovered by snooping around with a memory editor).

• xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

oh.. thats good news.
          thats how the sheet works haha

• Dougl07

Dougl07 Pangalactic Porcupine

My waifu has no favourite crystal, but I get what you mean. That's why I have like 40 Crab Pots on the beach, so I always have Lobster on hand for Ellibae.

• NoiZeBeAsT

NoiZeBeAsT Void-Bound Voyager

Just play the game the way which is the most fun for you. It's that simple. :)

• DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

Ah.

You mean 'in the nude.'

Indigo Rose likes this.
                • xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

there are mods for that on the nexus i believe...

• DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

Oh, I don't mean the characters.

• gilbertlew

gilbertlew Void-Bound Voyager

Would it be possible to add the Spring Wild Forgeable crops into the spreadsheet? We can forge for Leek, Dandelion, Daffodil, and Horseradish. Once we get one of each and reaching Foraging Level 1, we can craft Spring Wild seeds pack of 10 seeds. The seeds take 7 days to grow (8 including the day of planting). The seeds are free via crafting, so is it more profitable to plant and harvest this way compare to other Spring crops?

• Don Leo

Don Leo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you spend 4 plants to craft 10 seeds, you'll basically spend the value of those 4 plants to get 10 seeds though. So it's not technically free.

They also don't keep the tilled soil when they grow to full size so you may lose energy and whatever fertilizers you used to get them and then till the soil again. At max level they'll always be gold star though so probably no need to fertilize except maybe speed gro, but at that point you're rich anyway.

Assuming gold star, they make 67.5 gold on average, each. You spend 4 to get 10 seeds so 270 cost to get 675 in income for a profit of 405 per 10 tiles so, 40.5 per tile so 5.75 per day. Again, this is gold star. If it were regular it would be 3.8/d? I'm too tired to do proper maths stuff. I think that's a lower IRR than parsnips (editl because 7 days is longer than 4 days to reinvest) and you lose tilled soil. Energy is scarce in the beginning so I don't think it's worth it. You may be better off selling the foraged plants and buying parsnips instead. Again, I'm tired

• xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

do u guys know the chance of soil decay when planting them?

• ssokolow

ssokolow Cosmic Narwhal

Looking at all of this talk about business math makes me wish I had time for SDV (currently backlogged on my degree project) so I could pull out my "Introduction to Management Science" textbook (A.K.A. 1001 fun things to do with a linear solver).

Linear programming is tailor-made for problems like this. You feed the solver a linear equation to minimize/maximize representing something like profit earned or cost to transport and a system of equations which represent resource constraints, such as time, energy, and money budgets or the design of a road network, and it'll not only tell you what the most efficient strategy is, it'll tell you how much of each resource is left slack and how much each input may vary before the answer is no longer optimal.

(The book also has an introductory chapter on non-linear solvers, but it wasn't covered in the course.)

EDIT: In case anyone's curious about linear programming (either for its own sake or as a stepping stone to non-linear solvers), both Microsoft Excel and LibreOffice Calc have linear solvers built in. However, as I'm a programmer, I find the UI for that a bit awkward for anything but the simplest problems, so I use something called GLPK instead.

For anyone interested in that, IBM has a series of great tutorials that'll take anyone with high school math experience from beginner to expert [1] [2] [3] and GUSEK will give you a windows IDE for easily writing and running GLPK programs.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
                            • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

You just had an unintentional side effect. You've convinced me of the complete and utter superiority of kegs over preserve jars, and the mightiness that is hops...!

• xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

dont forget the sheet does not take into account the cost of kegs..
                                thats an investment decision you will have to decide for yourself.

• everfreefire

everfreefire Big Damn Hero

So a quick glance at this is telling me...That my growable flowers only idea will take forever to make money, got it.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

With all the money I've been making from focusing crops on strawberries, blueberries and cranberries in about 20 preserve jars year-round, I'm not worried about cash flow.

• xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

flowers are used to improve honey...
                                      so..............
                                      not meant to be harvested and sold.
                                      the actual benefit is not exactly something the sheet can tell you since its based off how many beehives you have in range.

• everfreefire

everfreefire Big Damn Hero

See, I get that, but the idea was to challenge myself by only selling flowers, because I am crazy like that. I might start using beehives in year two (crafting them winter year 1) if it ends up being too much to actually deal with, but otherwise I wanted to do just flowers.

• xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

..then yes they arent good =/

how about a no fruits playthough?